If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Coolant Smell

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
XLR8
Vehicle: 2015 Ford Taurus SE

Coolant Smell

Post by XLR8 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:18 am

About 6 weeks ago I got my first Taurus - a 2015 SE with 19K miles. I love it so far! Ever since I bought it I have been intermittently catching strong but brief whiffs of coolant. Several times when I have smelled the coolant I've quickly turned on my blower motor and stuck my nose in the heater/AC vents (did this with different vents on both driver and passenger side), and the smell is definitely not coming from the vents -- it's coming from outside the cabin. There are no drips from the heater core and no residue to indicate past leaks. The car never overheats. I constantly datalog with an SCT X4 tuner and/or Actron CP9670 scan tool, and the coolant temp stays perfectly normal with no fluctuation even when I smell it. The cooling fan activates properly and operates at the speeds commanded by the ECU. I have been watching under the car frequently (perhaps obsessively) and the car never leaks a single drop of anything whatsoever. I've been all over every square inch of the engine and engine compartment with a snake camera and there is absolutely no hint of any leaks, past or present (no active leaks, and no residue from past leaks). There's no coolant in the oil, and no white smoke or coolant odor coming from the exhaust. I've been checking the coolant reservoir every morning before starting the engine for the first time of the day, and the coolant level has not budged one tiny bit (I put a dot on the reservoir with a sharpie). A cooling system pressure test checks out 100% perfect. I am aware that there is a channel on the water pump that will drain coolant out through a weep hole behind the alternator in the event of a water pump leak. I checked the weep hole very carefully with the snake camera and there is no discharge or residue to indicate any past discharge. Despite all of the foregoing, I'm definitely catching very strong and unmistakable, but very brief, whiffs of coolant 5-10 times per day, and it's definitely coming from my car. So, as this is my first Taurus, my questions are as follows. Is this coolant smell normal for the latest generation Taurus? Do any of you experience this coolant smell with your Taurus? If the smell not normal for the Taurus, what on earth could be causing it? Thanks in advance!