If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

DEAD CAR - REVERSED JUMPER BOX CABLES!#@%^!! HELP!

ScottAdams
Vehicle: 2008 Mercury Montego

DEAD CAR - REVERSED JUMPER BOX CABLES!#@%^!! HELP!

Post by ScottAdams » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:28 pm

Stupid Me! 2008 Mercury Montego, 3.0 auto. Was attempting to check charging output with my new jumper box. It tells alternator output. Car was running & put jumper box cables REVERSED! Car died and wont start. I can not find blown fuse. Interior accessories still work. When turn the ignition, nothing clicks or turns over. I hear slight clunk from rear which I think is fuel pump. Nothing else. Have tried to do a reset & security reset, still nothing. I am wondering about starter solenoid or the PCM? I need direction. I do not have diagnostic equipment. Thanks.

PeterNC

Re: DEAD CAR - REVERSED JUMPER BOX CABLES!#@%^!! HELP!

Post by PeterNC » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:34 pm

AutoZone/O'Reilly/Advance Auto Parts/NAPA lend out diagnostic equipment free of charge. But this may be a significant repair. May be worth $50 or so to have a shop diagnose it for you. You would have to tow it obviously or have that done.

H22sparks
Vehicle: 2013 ford taurus fpis

Post by H22sparks » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:00 am

If its the key light flashing it may be the computer but id check to see if you got the fuse on the positive side of the battery still good cause that can kill the power too but still have light and stuff.

ScottAdams
Vehicle: 2008 Mercury Montego

Post by ScottAdams » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:01 am

I must be missing finding that fuse. I thought the same thing. I have heard about a mega fuse but cant find that. I'm an awful mechanic. The car is going to sit for awhile because it is too cold to work on it. Thank you for your advice. I deeply appreciate it.