If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Right Front Strut Issues

FoMoCo2010
Vehicle: 2010 Taurus Limited

Right Front Strut Issues

Post by FoMoCo2010 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:22 am

Right Front Strut Issues, I'm having issues with my daughters 2010 Taurus limited, the problem is the right front strut has been replaced now 4 times. from the start i had both front struts replaced with NEW loaded Monroe struts. The right front is only lasting maybe 1-2 weeks. When you turn the wheel it sounds like your flipping a spring (hard to explain the noise) but the problem has been the lower spring rubber has twisted out of the pocket, upper bearing has went bad...each time it's one or the other. I've had her car in the shop each time and i just cant understand what they are doing that would cause this issue. Does anyone have experience with this problem....... it's starting again, when you turn the wheel you can see the strut turn and then the spring starts to turn, it's like it's in a bind.

and0r

Re: Right Front Strut Issues

Post by and0r » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:19 pm

It seems as if you are being hosed by your mechanic.

The noise you describe is much more likely from a CV joint (seems like someone had a little fun with a curb, or other such mishap)
But you should also inspect the EAPS rack for damage since there has obviously been some type of collision.
Struts don't just magically fail this way. Especially when replaced.

Do not under any circumstances return that vehicle to where you have been taking it. Find a better mechanic. There is a common misconception that dealer mechanics are the best for the type of vehicle you own. This couldn't be further from the truth. They are in fact, the worst.
Find a mechanic who has high ratings which seem genuine.

Very very few jobs require special Ford "dealer" computers, and the ones that do, can also be done at independent shops. Any shop which subscribes to Ford IDS can fix a specialty problem, though the one you are experiencing is certainly not a specialty problem.
Once again, very very few problems require Ford IDS.

Greg Ski
Vehicle: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5 N

Post by Greg Ski » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:02 am

That's not a CV joint. It's the strut mount bushing that's gone bad. Monroe put fudge bearings in them. Also, if you want my opinion your mechanic probably snapped a strut mount stud and swapped the original onto the Monroe unit. I snapped one at 12 Ft/Lbs on my calibrated torque wrench. Google "Monroe quick strut broken studs" SUPER common problem. I bought a pair of Monroe Loaded strut assemblies and never again! I bought mine through RockAuto so playing the warranty game wasn't an option. My advice is to go down to your Ford dealership and buy the replacement strut mounts. $76.00 each. Once you have the Monroe one and the Ford one side by side you'll see the difference in the build. Monroe is absolutely garbage. Tell your mechanic to be really cautious tightening the stud nuts. If he did in fact put your original strut mount on the Monroe unit, find another mechanic. Next time I replace the struts I'll buy the Motorcraft units. I hope this helps. I completely rebuilt my suspension front to back and have been working on cars my whole life. Learn from my experience if anything. Best wishes.

Greg Ski
Vehicle: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited 3.5 N

Post by Greg Ski » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:06 am

If your Taurus is a 2010 you don't have electronic steering so the EAPS comment is entirely incorrect. Taurus didn't get EPAS until 2012. I really wish when people post informationike they do that they post CORRECT information. Not something they guess is correct.