If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

gas smell inside the car with a full tank

PFFCO
Vehicle: 2014 PI AWD 3.5l Twin Turbo

gas smell inside the car with a full tank

Post by PFFCO » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:21 pm

I have a 2014 PI, with roughly 100K on it. Every now and then, and I swear it's when we fill the gas tank, we have an odor of gas inside the car. Lingers for a while. I don't overfill it, it shuts off at the the pump and that's when I stop. Not sure where it's coming from. Anyone else have this issue?

FLZ_Boy
Vehicle: 2014 FPIS

Re: gas smell inside the car with a full tank

Post by FLZ_Boy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:45 am

TSB 13S04 affected the 2013 models. However, my model year 2014 maintenance record showed the fuel module was replaced under warranty a few years after service.

PFFCO
Vehicle: 2014 PI AWD 3.5l Twin Turbo

Post by PFFCO » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:36 am

I don't notice fuel leaking out. We did see if you don't use that little white funnel, when adding additive or stuff like that, it will leak a bit, but when fueling the car, it doesn't leak. But sure as hell smells like gas inside the trunk and in the car when you are driving. Exhaust is tight, no leaks there but my eyes also burn when driving it from something. Either gas or exhaust. I ran my vin and it doesn't show any work on that TSB, but can't tell. TSBs I guess don't show that way.

Looking up my VIN, car was built 1/11/2013. Now sure how that makes it a 2014 model year but it is. We just did a smoke test, looking for any leaks, but nothing shows up. I swear it's only when It has a full tank, or close to it, then it goes away. Spent 2 hours at my friends shop and we still can't find it.

Lpowilliams
Vehicle: 2013 Taurus PI AWD 3.5

Post by Lpowilliams » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:22 am

have you pulled up the back seats and checked around the 2 access holes. i had a bmw once that had a bad seal there it leaked only when u filled the tank. see here. https://youtu.be/z8Ds0rpD-MU?t=389.