If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Needs new transmission at 59,000 miles

Mike B
Vehicle: 2014 Ford PI Sedan EcoBoost

Needs new transmission at 59,000 miles

Post by Mike B » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:18 am

Figure I'd share my story here.

So about 2 1/2 years ago I purchased a 2014 Ford Police Sedan ( that has the ecoboost engine ). Car at the time I bought it ( from a Ford dealership ) had about 30,000 miles and 300 idle hours.

The car was originally bought new from that dealer and was never in police service.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. Car has just shy of 59,000 miles and 390 idle hours and all of a sudden it would not shift into reverse. I took it to two different shops and both agree that the car is going to need a new transmission and quoted me $3500+ ( for a USED trans / rebuild ).

I had an extended Ford Powertrain warranty on it, but of course it expired THREE WEEKS after this happend. I called both my local Ford dealership and the Ford warranty number and both said as long as the car is even one DAY past the expiration date, there is nothing they could do.

So, I call my dealer which I originally bought the car from, and sure enough, they are going to start a case with my local Ford dealership to get the car in. The local area service rep is going to take a look at it this week and hopefully they will work with me on getting me a brand new trans.

I don't beat on my cars, and this car has not that many miles on it at all, and was never in police service. I'm just glad that Ford ( hopefully ) is going to make this right. Otherwise, this will be the last Ford I own. ( Having owned MANY CVPI's in the past, many WELL over 150,000 hard miles, NEVER had any trans issues, I should have stuck with the CVPI ).

VCFP153
Vehicle: 2017 PIS

Re: Needs new transmission at 59,000 miles

Post by VCFP153 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:06 am

Two questions:

1. How reputable are both of these shops?
2. Has a dealer actually looked at the car?

Mike B

Post by Mike B » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 pm

They are both very reputable in the Phoenix area.

I dropped it off at the dealer on Thursday night. They just got back to me today saying that my PTO is shot. I asked if it did any damage to the trans and they said they'd have to dig further into it. As of now, they are NOT going to cover it under warranty since I'm "not a loyal Ford customer". I swear to God that's what the reasoning was for them denying my claim.

Basically, because I didn't buy the car brand new from that particular dealership, they are telling me to go pound sand. So, I plan on calling the dealer I got the car from and see if they can help again. I also have to note that I bought two brand new trucks from other Ford dealerships across the country and they seem to "not have any record of that".

VCFP153

Post by VCFP153 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:36 am

Mike B wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 pm
They are both very reputable in the Phoenix area.

I dropped it off at the dealer on Thursday night. They just got back to me today saying that my PTO is shot. I asked if it did any damage to the trans and they said they'd have to dig further into it. As of now, they are NOT going to cover it under warranty since I'm "not a loyal Ford customer". I swear to God that's what the reasoning was for them denying my claim.

Basically, because I didn't buy the car brand new from that particular dealership, they are telling me to go pound sand. So, I plan on calling the dealer I got the car from and see if they can help again. I also have to note that I bought two brand new trucks from other Ford dealerships across the country and they seem to "not have any record of that".
Something is not adding up. Both of these shops missed the bad PTU, but diagnosed a failed transmission. That's strikes me as odd. Also, when you say "they" are not going to cover it, do you mean the dealership? I ask, because warranty coverage is not up to the dealership, it is up to Ford. Have you actually spoken to Ford Customer Service about this?

Mike B

Post by Mike B » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:55 pm

I ended up contacting the dealership I bought my car from back in South Carolina and they actually contacted thier zone rep and thier guy reached out to my dealer here in AZ.

The entire bill came to almost $2600 and out of that I paid $960 out of my pocket. Ford went ahead and pulled through for me. I am quite pleased that I have my car back and didnt have to shell out thousands of dollars.

As for how the other shops missed it ? I have no idea. One shop was Sun Devil Auto ( they are a pretty big chain here in AZ ) and the shop I bought it for for a second opinion was Spencer’s auto. Both were very friendly and nice but apparently didn’t have a clue what was really wrong with my car.

Even though dealers are more expensive ( I get all my work done through the dealer but figure this big job would cost way less from a private party garage ) seems it’s worth it to stick to the dealer even for major repairs.

VCFP153

Post by VCFP153 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:59 am

Mike B wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:55 pm
I ended up contacting the dealership I bought my car from back in South Carolina and they actually contacted thier zone rep and thier guy reached out to my dealer here in AZ.

The entire bill came to almost $2600 and out of that I paid $960 out of my pocket. Ford went ahead and pulled through for me. I am quite pleased that I have my car back and didnt have to shell out thousands of dollars.

As for how the other shops missed it ? I have no idea. One shop was Sun Devil Auto ( they are a pretty big chain here in AZ ) and the shop I bought it for for a second opinion was Spencer’s auto. Both were very friendly and nice but apparently didn’t have a clue what was really wrong with my car.

Even though dealers are more expensive ( I get all my work done through the dealer but figure this big job would cost way less from a private party garage ) seems it’s worth it to stick to the dealer even for major repairs.
So, did you actually need a trans or was it just the PTU?

Mike B

Post by Mike B » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:09 am

It was just the PTU.

VCFP153

Post by VCFP153 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:17 am

Mike B wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:09 am
It was just the PTU.
And did they explain what the failure was and/or what caused it?

Mike B

Post by Mike B » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:22 am

Nope they just put the parts that they replaced on my paperwork and told me what the issue was.

VCFP153

Post by VCFP153 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Well, obviously it could have been a lot worse.