If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Tachometer sticking

Canbrinor
Vehicle: 2004 Ford Taurus SE

Tachometer sticking

Post by Canbrinor » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:02 am

Hello, sad to post here 2 days in a row but now my tachometer has acted up. It started when I started it up and it said it was idling at 2000rpm. By the time I finished driving it stated it was idling at 5000rpm. And when I turned it off the needle was stuck in the 3000rpm position. Tried tapping the gauge cluster but it's stuck. Any idea what it could be? It's like what it perceived to be "0 rpm" was slowly increasing as I drove

Magus732
Vehicle: 2000 Taurus SE Comfort

Re: Tachometer sticking

Post by Magus732 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:26 pm

The tachometer receives a signal from the powertrain control module, or PCM, and unless I'm mistaken, the PCM receives RPM signals from the crankshaft position sensor. The crankshaft position sensor, or CKP, is mounted on the engine front cover, connected to the crankshaft via a wheel with 35 little teeth on it. It should always read RPM at a steady rate, but I couldn't tell you what the issue might be. I will say, have someone check either the CKP or the toothed trigger wheel; it might be causing the PCM to read engine speed incorrectly.
2000 Taurus SE Comfort - Graphite Blue - 3.0L Vulcan FFV
2011 Taurus SEL - Tuxedo Black - 3.5L Duratec 35