If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

What measures can be taken to prevent a water pump failure?

FTPIS

What measures can be taken to prevent a water pump failure?

Post by FTPIS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello, everyone

I'm new to this forum - I am in the market for a 2013+ Taurus-based Interceptor, but I've been concerned over reports of water pumps failing and causing catastrophic engine damage. Are there any measures which could be taken to prevent this from happening, should I buy one of these vehicles?

Which fluids should be changed, and how often should said fluids be changed? And, if I were to purchase one of these vehicles, would it be a wise choice to immediately have the original water pump replaced with a new one?

Thanks!

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Re: What measures can be taken to prevent a water pump failure?

Post by mope » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 pm

bad design...... low frequency, but high damage. youll have to weigh the value proposition.

if you get one, change coolant more often than recommended.

regarding pump replacement.....makes no sense AT ALL to preemptively replace the pump. replacement costs more in parts than a new motor and takes just as much time in labor as replacing

crownedking

Post by crownedking » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:16 pm

DON'T buy from paid PI mod sites, stay away from dealer programming! message me for help or questions.

"If you believe you can figure it out on your own then by all means do feel free to do so. I have nothing against people who want to do it on their own. I am not aware of anyone else that has done it though." - jmr061 - Jason Rasmussen

FTPIS

Post by FTPIS » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:00 pm

mope wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:05 pm
bad design...... low frequency, but high damage. youll have to weigh the value proposition.

if you get one, change coolant more often than recommended.

regarding pump replacement.....makes no sense AT ALL to preemptively replace the pump. replacement costs more in parts than a new motor and takes just as much time in labor as replacing

I read reports of zero issue with regularly-changed coolant, yet I've also seen a post which claimed that failure occurred despite regular maintenance.

Is the problem internal or external? In other words, how exactly does the coolant mix with the motor's oil? Is it something which a DIY project could prevent? Ex. what if someone builds some sort of isolation chamber around the water pump—or maybe some reservoir into which the coolant can leak? (If this makes no sense, excuse me for asking.)