If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2013 Taurus interceptor radio upgrade

penelhum
Vehicle: 2013 PI

2013 Taurus interceptor radio upgrade

Post by penelhum » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:42 pm

I have a 2013 Taurus Intercepter.

I'm still looking for information on what all is needed to upgrade the stock radio to the 8". ive gone through a few threads and still not sold on that information.

Basic question, If i find a salvage vehicle with an 8" screen, can i then take all the pieces (screen, brackets, faceplate) and put them in my vehicle without having to purchase additional wires, harness, etc? will it plug and play?

ive seen kits which state i need to have a harness, im a bit lost. not sure if the harness is specific to the
kit.

Below is the radio faceplate of what I saw. It should be a 2014 Taurus, i just want the bluetooth capability

thanks
radio.jpg
radio.jpg (126.01 KiB) Viewed 195 times

penelhum

Re: radio

Post by penelhum » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:32 pm

does anyone know of the part number for the 4" radio that has bluetooth?
my old one doesnt have bluetooth, alternatively i can get a replacement 4" with bluetooth to replace my 4" without bluetooth and i'll be happy with that.

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Re: radio

Post by mope » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:45 am

Since you've had no other responses:

The general history on this issue is: if you do not have a SYNC equipped car, you're screwed. Neither a 4" nor 8" radio would do you any good - you would also have to have the Sync module and computer programming to make it all work.

No option is plug and play (although, there is a chinese company who claims to have an option - I've not seen anyone actually purchase and install it yet though)

sugarmamaspickle

Re: 2013 Taurus interceptor radio upgrade

Post by sugarmamaspickle » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:14 am

I have installed a plug and play chinese unit. I have a review of it in this thread...
viewtopic.phpt=20419

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Post by mope » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:11 am

sugar,

thanks for that! I've thought about it a handful of times since GPS would be great.

To clarify, you've got to have your phone/phone signal to hotspot for the gps to work??? Given the options (limited) would you do it again?

sugarmamaspickle

Post by sugarmamaspickle » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:27 pm

The GPS works without data. Just relying on the pre-loaded maps. No clue on how to get the latest maps, but you can change the default app to google maps or a few others. The stock navi app is called iGo. I'd do it again, but I wish my dash was back together already! Without the dash trim there, I'm missing the trunk release and 12V outlets... It doesn';t bother me enough yet to figure out what all i need and to find it at a yard.