If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Considering 2013 Ecoboost PI

9C3

Considering 2013 Ecoboost PI

Post by 9C3 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:07 am

Hello everyone. I own a Caprice 9C3 for a few years now and was exploring the idea of getting an Ecoboost PI, with a similar “detective” style package as I have with the Caprice. Having looked at the market for the past few months, I do notice that finding an Ecoboost PI with a manufacturer center console, Ford Sync, carpet, and no holes/spotlight to the body is hard to find. I’ve only come across two thus far and wanted to know what you guys think is a fair price. One I’m currently looking at his everything I’m looking for, however the mileage exceeds 100,000 which is very high despite whatever the car comes with and the condition it is in. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

penelhum
Vehicle: 2013 PI

Re: Considering 2013 Ecoboost PI

Post by penelhum » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 pm

I'm not sure if what you're looking for is out there. A police intercepter is used for patrol MOST of the time. which means it will not have a civilian center console, and will have holes, or patched holes from mounted lights, radar, antennas, push bar, etc. It will also have higher mileage (50,000+) as a result of it used daily for patrol, some agencies (state police) more than others because they're on the highway more. seats will be worn from daily use, some cars can and will run 24 hours if not more of continuous use. (night shift, day shift, back to night shift)

That said, if it has a civilian center console, carpet and updated radio those are probably from the second owner who upgraded those items. which means you'll probably pay a premium in price. the lights are easy to remove, i just did it today it took me 5 minutes. i am not a mechanic, i cant even change the oil on my own, but spotlight removal is easy, just gotta plug the hole.

What state are you in? what's your price range?
i've seen Ford PI (taurus) from $6,000 (160,000 miles) to $15,000 obviously depending on miles and condition.

caprice is nice, why the change?
you ever look into the crown vics?

9C3

Post by 9C3 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:41 pm

There’s not going to be a change, so to say. The Caprice I have is really the car I’ve always wanted and couldn’t be happier. Mileage is very low and try to keep it off the road as much as possible. If I can find the PI, I want, it would be more of a daily driver and use for inclement and less ideal weather conditions.

kamloopsdan
Vehicle: 2013 PI Sedan

Post by kamloopsdan » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:02 pm

This is for sale on ebay. Never in Police service and has the interior package.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Ford-Taur ... oA&vxp=mtr

9C3

Post by 9C3 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:42 pm

Yes, I saw that one. I’m looking for one without spotlights or any holes. I have found one that I’m seriously considering at the moment. Mileage is a lot higher than I’d want, and the price needs to be closer to what I have in mind. As far as that one on eBay, I believe the asking price is very high.

kamloopsdan

Post by kamloopsdan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:25 pm

Can I ask why you are limiting your options by specifically wanting a Turbo Police Taurus that looks like a civilian car?

Why don't you just buy a SHO and add some Police rims and a black grille? You would then have plenty more to choose from?

9C3

Post by 9C3 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:52 pm

Well, a police model is cheaper than a Taurus SHO. I also like the subtle differences in appearances better, whether it be the taillights, seats, and column shifter. The Ecobooost PI, is also faster than a Taurus SHO. Plus, I enjoy looking for the “rare build” cars. Trying to find one is no easy task, but when you find one and it has everything you are looking for, you tend to appreciate it a little more. That’s how it was with my Caprice. The Caprice I found was very hard to find considering all the circumstances, so when I found it, I really had a greater appreciation for the car.

Timeisaflatcircle

Post by Timeisaflatcircle » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 am

I've been looking for what you speak for over 3 years. This includes thorough internet research, which includes my OCD for continuously looking for updates on retail and auction sites, visiting police auctions and calling retail locations a bit too often.

In all this, I have found only 2 vehicles to the spec you describe that were not modified by second parties and were original ordered. Both were special ordered, one was to a Sheriff or a high ranking Police officer, the other was a Federal order to an agency with 3 letters in Lincoln County Nevada, i.e Area 51.

kamloopsdan

Post by kamloopsdan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Timeisaflatcircle wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 am
I've been looking for what you speak for over 3 years. This includes thorough internet research, which includes my OCD for continuously looking for updates on retail and auction sites, visiting police auctions and calling retail locations a bit too often.

In all this, I have found only 2 vehicles to the spec you describe that were not modified by second parties and were original ordered. Both were special ordered, one was to a Sheriff or a high ranking Police officer, the other was a Federal order to an agency with 3 letters in Lincoln County Nevada, i.e Area 51.
I'm curious to know what prevented you from buying either of those two vehicles?

Timeisaflatcircle

Post by Timeisaflatcircle » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 am

kamloopsdan wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:55 pm
Timeisaflatcircle wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 am

I'm curious to know what prevented you from buying either of those two vehicles?

Accident histories

DkNgHt
Vehicle: 2015 3.5 Ecobeast

Post by DkNgHt » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:15 am

http://www.statesurplusautosales.com

This is where I bought my PI ... He has a body shop there and fixes anything. The cars are salvaged but that might just mean a door was damaged and the department just got rid of it. I saw my car when he first got it, driver side doors were damaged and rear bumper waited three weeks for him to have ready. It has most options available in a PI package.
Attachments
20180626_201908.jpg
20180626_201908.jpg (76.42 KiB) Viewed 274 times
20180626_201859.jpg
20180626_201859.jpg (77.63 KiB) Viewed 274 times

9C3

Post by 9C3 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:25 am

I too am from NJ and am familiar with this company. Usually what’s in their inventory has high mileage and/or heavy police use. I’ve found a lot of good, low mileage, and “civilian” interior PI’s on government auctions, however none are Ecoboost.

DkNgHt
Vehicle: 2015 3.5 Ecobeast

Post by DkNgHt » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:38 am

The owners are two brothers retired from PD, I currently am PD in the area and saw the dealership stopped by and asked for a low mile Twin Turbo, all he had were high miles, and when a white one popped up it lasted a week and I missed out ... When I saw the grey one on a flat bed I stopped and checked it out, all cosmetic issues which they fixed .... Car runs great only had 63k miles paid $10k has upgraded features like carpeted flooring and aux connections .... Personally can't complain, but he will try to push those high mileage ones first ... He also has every part possible on premises and will sell them if you need something