If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2000 Taurus leaking oil

livegood
Vehicle: 2000 Ford Taurus SEL

2000 Taurus leaking oil

Post by livegood » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and I have just acquired (last friday)a 2000 Taurus SEL with the 3.0 24v dohc duratec and 19 bolt AX4N trans., gold paint, factory alloy wheels, decent leather interior with no tears. It runs out smooth and strong. Trans shifts good and fluid appears good but with 155,000 mi on the odo, I am pretty certain that no real maintenance has ever been done :shock:
A few days ago, I was at the car wash and I was detailing under the hood and noticed some oil around the UIM :(. Next I checked the oil and noticed none visible on the stick :?. So I got down under the front and saw where some kind of oil was burning on cats at center rear and the trans pan has fresh engine oil on it ad well. The valley under the intake has oil in it but very hard to tell if it is running down off the back of engine and soaking things below or not.
I am a retired mechanic, 10 years kidney disease and Guillain Barré Syndrome so even though I try to do my own repair work, I usually have a lot of pain when I do jobs sometimes. I felt pain when I saw that oil!. Also, at start- up, big ole' plume of blue oil smoke. It clears up quick and don't see any while driving but in park and gently rev to about 3500rpm, see smoke. It does run great, no loss of power, no mis fires, just what I described here.
Please someone tell me if I am on the right track, I respect everyones experience here and knowledge of these cars... I ordered from Rock Auto: Motorcraft PCV valve and pipe, complete FelPro mani gasket for upper and lower.
I realize that could be another issue, oil pan, oil sender, valve covers, etc, but had to start somewhere. Thought I would clean underneath after this part then drive to see, go from there. If you have other info or ideas, I would be most grateful!
I plan on other routine maintenance, t'stat, fuel filter, maf sensor clean, trans filter/fluid exchange(bucket method) with merc V, etc.
I have to say I am a little concerned about the oil deal but I'm glad I can come here and seek out good information, thank you in advance... Bill

livegood

Re: 2000 Taurus leaking oil

Post by livegood » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:37 am

Hello again, I have an update on the oil loss. Pcv valve fixed it. Pulled u & l intake, cleaned valley, no smoke, no more adding oil... Thanks for all the great responses.

billbritten
Vehicle: 2000 Mercury Sable LS DOHC

Post by billbritten » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:58 pm

I recently got a 2000 Mercury Sable LS 24 valve DOHC and has the same problem. Except the oil filter was extremely loose. But I did go ahead and change the valve covers. The PCV hose looked as if it had been recently changed so I left it alone. I'm not sure what the name of the part is mounted to the underside of the trunk, it is a box of some sort with lines running from the fuel tank. As a mechanic of 10 years would you happen to be able to tell me what the name for this part is?

livegood

Post by livegood » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:58 am

Hi Bill, I hope I can help you with this. If you continue to have any oil leaks or excessive oil usage, even though the hose looks good, the PCV valve itself can still cause those issues, even if the valve looks ok or even seems not to be stuck.
The box under the trunk may possibly be the charcoal cannister. I believe that those are plastic and they are replaceable and available. Most online parts outlets carry that part. Most folks like the Motorcraft replacement parts for these cars and this brand is available from many of the same places.... Bill

livegood

Post by livegood » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:10 am

Also Bill, most catalogs will list the part as a vapor cannister, not charcoal. Motorcraft CX1671 should be the right one. Shop around because prices vary but they aren't cheap.

billbritten

Post by billbritten » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Thanks. You're right on the charcoal canister. I'm a little green when it comes to cars but I have decent common sense and a will to get the job done. So my guess is if I had a 2002 Taurus that my 2000 mercury would match up with excellently? Would I be wrong in saying that?

livegood

Post by livegood » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:14 pm

I'm not sure if different years will interchange on everything but possibly so. I always check with the R. A. online catalog and other sources for correct fit and best prices... Bill

billbritten

Post by billbritten » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:00 pm

Do you happen to know how I can get a diagram of the hoses that connect the vapor canister? When the car was given to me there was a hose completely disconnected and hanging right beside the canister. You could smell gas fumes coming from it. The hose comes from up by the gas tank and I did not see anywhere it could be connected. I'm looking for a diagram so I can try and properly put everything back together.