If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Layer of water inside tail light

taurus1
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Taurus SEL

Layer of water inside tail light

Post by taurus1 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:48 pm

I noticed that one tail light has a layer of water about 1/2" high. (It previously only had moisture droplets on the inside of the lens.) I understand that there is a "vent" some where and I guess that may be blocked.

Is there a way to remove the tail light and release the water and also prevent it from recurring?

I just settled the problem with water accumulating inside the door panels thanks to help from members on the blog.

I appreciate any comments from members who have dealt with this kind of a problem before. (I would prefer to avoid having to buy a new tail light.)

Soda_can_dan
Vehicle: 2015 FORD TAURUS POLICE INTCPR

Re: Layer of water inside tail light

Post by Soda_can_dan » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:54 pm

I’m assuming it’s one of the quarter panel mounted taillights. So first, pop off the clips of the trunk liner carpet behind the taillight giving you a problem. Then follow the wires and unplug the taillight. There will be three nuts under the trunk liner carpet behind the taillight. Remove those three nuts and gently slide the taillight straight out. Once you have the taillight out check to make sure that all the bulb sockets are properly placed and locked into place. If the taillight has condensation I would recommend using a hair dryer to dry out the taillight before reinstalling it.

taurus1
Vehicle: 2012 Ford Taurus SEL

Re: Layer of water inside tail light

Post by taurus1 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Yes, it is on the quarter panel and not the trunk. Thanks for the directions.
I also just noticed that the lower bulb doesn't light, but the upper one does light.
I am hoping it is just the bulb and not the socket, but once I get the taillight and socket out I will try to figure it out.
Will I need to seal the edge of the plastic housing of the taillight with silicone before reinstalling it?