If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Reusing the police lights? 2015 Interceptor

kosmc1
Vehicle: 2015 taurus interceptor

Reusing the police lights? 2015 Interceptor

Post by kosmc1 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:55 pm

so, my son bought a 2015 taurus interceptor, in the trunk slide out trey has the connectors for a wiring harness i guess for the police lights? anyways it has lights on the trunk when you open it, has the lights on either side of the third brake light and the lights in the grill...so i was wondering if anyone has untilized these lights? i was thinking of clear lights on the trunk when opened, turn signal lights for the lights by the third brake light and driving lights in the front grill lights....dont know what all would be invoved...ripping out the police harness or if that harness could be used to do the lights like i want...so, has anyone tried this??

Despized
Vehicle: 2014 Taurus PI

Re: Reusing the police lights? 2015 Interceptor

Post by Despized » Sat May 05, 2018 2:31 pm

I am sure it can be done. I recently. did all exterior lighting in led. signals/parking lights. There are quite a few quick google searches to get decent wiring diagrams to determine where and what to connect into for trunk lighting and for signal lighting.

For my situation with the factory bulbs with led. I had to have in line LED load resistor. I believe there are three wires to each signal for the different operation modes. If you would like any pictures I could dig them up of what I have going on. Still working after a year of operation.

GhostRider
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Taurus Limited

Post by GhostRider » Sat May 05, 2018 9:09 pm

The lights in the trunk, provided they arent red/blue, can be reused. Red/Red or red/amber should be ok. The rest I dont recommend reusing. You should remove them and you can resell them. Clear lights to the rear, flashing no less, are a "no-no" as they are distracting.
2013 Ford Taurus Limited FWD (301A Package)

kosmc1
Vehicle: 2015 taurus interceptor

Post by kosmc1 » Mon May 07, 2018 9:02 am

ghostrider, yes, i know not to use the police light colors...trunk is already whilte and white for grill, amber or red for turn signals..wondering, can the lenses be changed on the ion lights?

RJR
Vehicle: 2016 Special Service Police

Post by RJR » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:57 am

The lenses can not be changed on the ions. You'd have to buy the color you want for each position and swap them out. Next the wiring can certainly be done but that would take some time to make it do what you want it to do and using all new wires would be best.
Hope that helps