If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Full Range Signal to 6x9's?

sugarmamaspickle
Vehicle: 2013 PI

Full Range Signal to 6x9's?

Post by sugarmamaspickle » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I'm looking to add a powered sub to my stock stereo by getting signal from the 6x9's. They don't sound like any low notes play through them. Does the factory stereo filter sound to different speaker locations? If so, is there an amp somewhere I could steal a signal from prior to the filtering? I have the base 4" stereo for now...

mope
Vehicle: 2013 Interceptor

Re: Full Range Signal to 6x9's?

Post by mope » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Since you haven't gotten any responses, I'll chime in - though it may not help much!

My PI had a single, center mounted speaker in the rear deck. While the sheet metal had cutouts for the 6x9's, they were blank and the deck carpet covered the cutouts. The single/center speaker was worthless.

I installed 6x9's, the recommended door replacements, and tied in the civi pillar tweeters - a pretty good off the shelf/cheap upgrade. Again, your setup may be different if you have factory 6x9's in there, but there was definitely full signal to the rears.

sugarmamaspickle

Post by sugarmamaspickle » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:28 pm

I don't have the center speaker. I have the fan instead. That electronics tray is pretty heavy duty. I'm thinking it would make a great amp rack if I go all out someday... I'll update this thread when I get around to installing my sub.

cyg
Vehicle: 2013 Ford PI Sedan wh EcoBoost

Post by cyg » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:58 am

Not sure if you followed this thread, but I built out my PI with 6x9s in the rear and a sub, along with a HU fit into the center console.

viewtopic.php?t=20023
sugarmamaspickle wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:28 pm
I don't have the center speaker. I have the fan instead. That electronics tray is pretty heavy duty. I'm thinking it would make a great amp rack if I go all out someday... I'll update this thread when I get around to installing my sub.

sugarmamaspickle

Post by sugarmamaspickle » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Well, they most definitely do not get a full range signal from the stock head unit. I installed a powered sub that I had from my old car and got absolutely no sound from the speaker. Even with the crossover set to the highest value of 200Hz, nothing.

I have one of these on order.
http://www.carnaviplayer.com/aftermarke ... 2017-p-894

I'll start a thread on the install when I get time to do the install.

cyg
Vehicle: 2013 Ford PI Sedan wh EcoBoost

Post by cyg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:04 pm

AFAIK the stock radio and amp is kind of crap, and they don't have a sub out signal. I really don't trust these all-in-one replacements which is why I went the way I went.

I am curious to see how that aftermarket unit works.

sugarmamaspickle

Post by sugarmamaspickle » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:57 pm

So I've had this installed for a few months now... Sorry about the delay in posting an update. I'm horrible with remembering to get pics. You'll have to wait until I can clean my car up a bit for that.

A review of the head unit:
Has an OK interface you would expect from a chinese head unit- can be toggled to android mode, but always boots in the stock mode. Occasionally, it boots straight into navigation which is quite annoying. The levels can be adjusted between all the different sources, but the navigation is quite load even at the lowest gain levels. The temperature display is way off and reverts to C° every once in a while. The seller has told me that it can be fixed with a firmware update, but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon. I''ve learned to live with it. The stock signal is unaffected by the new unit. I still only get bass output to the rear speakers when the fader is set to the middle. I'll need to run some wires if I want my sub to work. There is a pretty nice EQ on this unit. The sound is a vast improvement over stock. Almost to the point where I a\have considered not doing the sub. Install went fairly smooth, there are leads for every option. Basically, I just plugged connectors together if they fit and reached.

On a side note, you will need to modify your IP cover or use a civilian console. The power point trim plate interferes with the bottom of the unit. The trim clip slots molded into this unit are turned 90° to what my IP cover has. I'm assuming that the civilian model is turned to match up. The manual climate control feature is kind of lame. It took me a few weeks to figure out there are different display options. The default display doesn't show temp settings, only fan speed. I have changed the display to what I'm guessing is for the explorer, which shows dual zone with temp and rear control. Boot time is about 30-45 seconds, during which time you can only guess what the climate controls are set at- the controls still seem to work in boot mode, but seem slower to react. I am using my phone as a hotspot using PdaNet+, which works well. Occasionally the connection resets, but I'm not sure if it's the unit or my cell. If I had to do it over again, I'd probably do a normal double din in a homemade console. This unit was plug and play, but not plug and play enough for me to recommend for the price of 450.

Saunders1986

Post by Saunders1986 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 am

I was planning on doing one of those powered subs as well, if there isn't full range at rear, couldn't I just wire it to the front??

sugarmamaspickle

Post by sugarmamaspickle » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 am

To me, it seems like the bass signal is split between front and rear. If I use the fader to go to either one, low range disappears.

Saunders1986

Post by Saunders1986 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:26 am

hmm, there was a post earlier that a guy spliced into the harness behind the headunit (speaker wires) and his amp and sub setup was working great. I commented to clarify what wires he tapped but didn't receive a response.

I really wish I could just drop a head unit into this thing without leaving factory one in place, would make things much easier. too bad it seems we wont ever have an option for a dash kit.

sugarmamaspickle

Post by sugarmamaspickle » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:44 am

I thought I remembered reading about people using the rear door speaker for a signal. I don't have them, but that would be worth looking into if I decide to ever tear into it again.