If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2015 headlight replacement cost etc

tjweeks
Vehicle: 2015 Taurus SEL

Re: 2015 headlight replacement cost etc

Post by tjweeks » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:25 pm

Those Gen 3 LED bulbs-are they just remove the halogens and replace with the Gen 3 or do you have to install ballasts or CANBUS. Sorry but I am a real dumb a$# and don't want to supply my wife with any ammunition for her next "well it was working before you started messing with it". Women!!!

smitty79

Post by smitty79 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Tom - I know what mean, LOL. I use these bulbs that are halogen but give out a white light and are a little brighter: Philips crystal visions that give out a nice white light (p/n 9012CVB2). They are on Amazon, and can be bought in auto part stores. https://www.amazon.com/Philips-9012CVB2 ... B01I3OTXHA

Direct replacement, “plug and play”
:D :D
Current:
- 2013 Taurus SEL loaded (3.5L flexfuel)
Past:
- 2012 Taurus SEL loaded (3.5L)
- 2006 Fusion manual (2.3L)
- 2001 F150 manual 4x4 (4.2L)
-1994 Ranger manual 4x4 (4.0L)

DomDoobie

Post by DomDoobie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:21 pm

The Gen 3 LED are just like putting in a new halogen bulb. Everything is built into it and it has no fans either ! Put it in twist and lock and plug in.

tjweeks

Post by tjweeks » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks DomDoobie

Jayybird69
Vehicle: 2016 Ford Taurus

Post by Jayybird69 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Hey guys, new to forum, just bought a 2016 taurus, lights are dim. A little confused about what bulbs are on this. Everything I read and all parts stores only list a 9012. When I removed what is apparently the low beam bulb it is a 9005. From what I can see inside the housing, (which isn't much) the high beam is below the 9005 but from the looks of it looks nothing like the connection that will fit a 9012. Is there a writeup for this on here or does anyone have any images they can share for the high beam replacement?

tjweeks

Post by tjweeks » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi Jaybird69, You have just stumbled into the Taurus Twilight Zone. I have been trying to make sense of the Taurus headlight system for the last 3 months. From what I have found so far you most likely have quartz headlight bulbs. I think 9012 designates what will fit into the Taurus Projecter headlights. These headlights unlike any you have run into have to have a certain connection (9012) bulbs. These headlights only adjust up and down (no left or right). If you can't tolerate the quartz, the next step would to be to try and find a led bulb in the 9012 configuration. Most places advise against this because in almost all cases the led bulbs put out the same or in many cases less light than the quartz. The final and most recommended change is the HID (high intensity device) bulbs. With these, however there is much more involved than just a bulb change. You have to buy ballasts that run from the light to the fuse box (power) for both bulbs. Sometimes you have to add something called a CANBUS that is supposed to make all this new stuff play nicely with the electronics in your dash. I have had many recommend that this is the way to go (it can cost from $250 to $2000). I have also had many tell me to just find a quartz bulb (they come in different flavors) that I can live with and stop there. Led and HID bulbs don't last nearly as long as the quartz. I have heard of having to replace HID bulbs once or more times in a year. I may not be 100% on all of this but it is what I have come through this mess believing. I kind of just dumped all on you at once so you can just have one small nervous breakdown instead of a half dozen. I would go to the auto store and just tell them what you need and just leave it there. Even the Ford Dealers start edging away from you when you come in with a Taurus and tell them you want better light. These headlights ruined (for me) what could have been a pleasant buying experience.

DomDoobie

Post by DomDoobie » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:59 pm

I've been on a tear lol. I put in the led puddle lights and daytime running lights from brighlights.com and they're awesome. Just changed out all the interior bulbs for led and the license plate bulbs with led that came for free with the puddle light purchase. Put factory mud flaps on and bought the Bra so I'm pretty much done with everything I can do for now lol.

Fieryass
Vehicle: 2015 taurus sel

Post by Fieryass » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:37 pm

I too purchased a 2015 Taurus SEL and found the headlights deplorable. My solution was to purchase a HID kit from Xenon Depot. I've had good service from them, which is not always the case from other companies. Installing this kit was very straight forward. Every thing is plug and play.
I recently took out the passenger headlight bucket, due to heavy condensation. Looking closely at the headlight reflector, it is apparently an HID reflector, minus the motor to flip the hi- lo beam. The kit provides the propper bulb to do this job. This may not be legal, but it is the proper reflector and the beam pattern is correct.