If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to help support FordTaurus.net!

front struts on 2002 sable

trumpet
Vehicle: 2002 mercury sable gs

front struts on 2002 sable

Postby trumpet » Sat May 13, 2017 9:06 am

I ordered front strut assemblies for my 2002 Mercury Sable from detroit axle via amazon. These replacement struts are the same for the right and left sides. The company assures me that they will work for either left or right. The c bracket that the sway bar bolts into face opposite directions on the original struts for left and right. The replacement strut assemblies are both welded on the strut in the same direction. I have also looked at rockauto and some of their replacement strut assemblies specify left or right but many do not. Does anybody know if the replacement strut assembly will install okay if both front struts for left and right are exactly the same? Thanks for any insight.

ChartGuy

Re: front struts on 2002 sable

Postby ChartGuy » Sat May 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Replacement struts may work for both sides, may not. The issue is the sway bar link may bind in full turns. If the replacements have the bracket with sufficient clearance they will work. Also depends on the sway bar links. Some are heavier shape than others. Worst that can happen is the link will be bent or broken in a hard turn.

-chart-

trumpet
Vehicle: 2002 mercury sable gs

Re: front struts on 2002 sable

Postby trumpet » Sun May 14, 2017 12:38 pm

Thanks for the advice and the possibilities for the sway bar link.

Return to “2000-2007 Ford Taurus & Mercury Sable (4th Generation)”