If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

First major snow storm in AWD PI Taurus, and . . got stuck

Mike B
Vehicle: 2014 Ford PI Sedan EcoBoost

First major snow storm in AWD PI Taurus, and . . got stuck

Post by Mike B » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Yep, you read that right. First major snow storm in my new AWD Taurus ecoboost PI Sedan and I managed to get her stuck haha

In all fairness, I was plowing though an un-plowed parking lot, and the snow was at LEAST 10 inches deep. It was so deep that the driveshaft, and under the car was scrapping the bottom of the snow haha. As soon as I was almost out of the super deep snow and onto the actual paved portion of the parking lot, of course, she decides to get stuck. Luckily a nice gentleman with a shovel managed to dig the TONS of snow that managed to get trapped UNDER the body of the car while I was trucking through the parking lot.

I figured with AWD it could get through anything, but I guess one cannot underestimate deep snow. I even tried rocking the car, using Low gear, etc. nothing worked, and all 4 tires just spun. Of course, having half worn RSA's probably didnt help matters much haha ( also having the car almost off the ground with snow completely UNDER the car didn't help either.

Here's the before picture. There is no after picture, since all I wanted was to GTFO of that parking lot
haha
After that, she managed fantastic. There was other cars that we just abandoned in the middle of intersections, where my car just plowed right through ( an AWD Volvo sedan no less, was one of the vehicles I found abandoned in the middle of an intersection ).

Moral of the story, if it snows more than a foot, an SUV or pickup truck will do much better in deep snow than an AWD car lol

The Bone

Re: First major snow storm in AWD PI Taurus, and . . got stuck

Post by The Bone » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:44 am

it doesnt matter how many wheel drive a car or truck has, pack enough snow under it and it to will be stuck LOL Glad you found a buddy to help you out.

twiggy144

Post by twiggy144 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:49 am

The stability control system has to be switched to 'disabled' or 'off' when rocking the car, else it is much less effective. Snow tires would have helped also. Four seasons tires are much less efficient in deep snow.
Taurus 2010 SEL and Fusion SEL AWD 2007.

Mike B
Vehicle: 2014 Ford PI Sedan EcoBoost

Post by Mike B » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:56 pm

Ha, you know, I was thinking about the yesterday. I never did turn off the stability control during any of that. Upon reading the manual, it said to turn stability control off if the vehicle gets stuck in deep snow or sand.
Ha, oh well lesson learned for the next time I have to plow through over a foot of snow lol