If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to help support FordTaurus.net!

2014 Taurus PI HVAC randomly goes on AC / air re-circulation mode

Mike B
Vehicle: 2014 Ford PI Sedan EcoBoost

2014 Taurus PI HVAC randomly goes on AC / air re-circulation mode

Postby Mike B » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:38 pm

Good day all !

I've got a strange issue with my 2014 Taurus PI. When I start up the car in the morning ( and I left the HVAC controls to heat, floor or face only position ), it will sometimes have the AC button on, and the air recirculation mode on as well pressed, when I didn't have those settings on prior.

Any one else's PI do this ? I'll assume the car senses it's cold out and automatically adjusts accordingly ? Then again, there is no "auto" button like in the civilian models, so I'd have no idea why it does it. And it only does this when I first start the car. Once the car's been running it stays in whatever position I put the controls in.

Celticwolf

Re: 2014 Taurus PI HVAC randomly goes on AC / air re-circulation mode

Postby Celticwolf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:52 am

Yeah my 2015 does this. Randomly, in the mornings when first starting up. Mildly irritating, especially when its cold and I jump in to go to work. I will turn the temp and the fan all the way up, drive along for several miles until I notice the AC is on.

TerryY
Vehicle: 2013 Police Interceptop Sedan

Postby TerryY » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:11 pm

It may be running the A/C as a dehumidifier. Many cars use the A/C in defroster mode for that. Drys the air before there is enough heat to raise the dew point and clear the windshield with warm air.

Mike B
Vehicle: 2014 Ford PI Sedan EcoBoost

Postby Mike B » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:14 pm

TerryY wrote:It may be running the A/C as a dehumidifier. Many cars use the A/C in defroster mode for that. Drys the air before there is enough heat to raise the dew point and clear the windshield with warm air.

Interesting. If I had the car set to defrost or something I could kinda understand the AC coming on by itself, but like I said, the controls were set to face / floor only. So, I found it strange that it would automatically put the AC on by itself ( along with the re-circulation mode ).

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. It hasn't done this in quite awhile, but the only times it DOES do it is when I first start the car in the morning. Next time I get an oil change I'll bring it to the dealer and have it checked, since it's still under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Return to “Ford Police Interceptor 2013-newer”