If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Battery Terminal Replacement - Corrosion

cyberibe
Vehicle: 2015 Taurus Limited

Re: Battery Terminal Replacement - Corrosion

Post by cyberibe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:29 pm

I too am victim of Ford's poor design. My wife was stranded at the grocery store with the dash going crazy, radio, air and locks unresponsive, unpredictable, and uncontrollable. After I arrived at the scene, I went right to the battery, pulled back the protective cover and found 1/2" copper sulfate caked on the positive terminal. The terminal clamp was completely dissolved. Now I've seen corrosion but this was obscene! We've had the car less than 1 year and a battery cable needs replacing! Wow, I though Ford was on top of their game again. Based upon all of these similar circumstances, I guess it's time to switch (again). And I thought SYNC2 and Navigation was the worst it would get..
<< 2015 Taurus Limited >> 38,000 miles

cyberibe

Post by cyberibe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:42 pm

After 15 minutes of careful cleaning I finally got down to where I could see the terminal. The cable lifts right off since nothing is left of the terminal clamp.
Attachments
battery corrosion.jpg
battery corrosion.jpg (643.33 KiB) Viewed 870 times

krdart
Vehicle: 2013 Ford Taurus Limited

Post by krdart » Sat May 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Last weekend I also was stuck with this same problem not quite as bad as the pic from cyberide but bad, The metal that connects everything was corroded and basically gone. had to get towed to a dealership in Denver on a Friday night as I was visiting there. could not be fixed until Monday afternoon.
luckily I had enough connection to run the radio all night as that is where I slept until 9 am when the shop opened. I am out of warranty and the part was 340.00 and labor brought the price to 996.00. hope it never happens again.

jaycall
Vehicle: 2016 Taurus Limited

Post by jaycall » Sun May 21, 2017 9:49 am

I have a new 2016 Taurus and I am going out now to check and then spray the posts!

This is a great thread, good job to everyone,,but Ford!

J

jlred9151
Vehicle: 2015 ford tauras

Post by jlred9151 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:44 pm

I just had the same problem. Discovered more corrosion then I've ever seen on a battery. I've tried to find the plastic/ rubber pieces which keeps the positive clamp tight but no luck. My next step was to buy and replace the entire plastic piece but just saw how ridiculously priced it is. Anyone how another solution because I can't fully tighten the clamp and it has failed to start several times

GhostRider

Post by GhostRider » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:35 am

cyberibe wrote:After 15 minutes of careful cleaning I finally got down to where I could see the terminal. The cable lifts right off since nothing is left of the terminal clamp.
Thats crazy! I would have had the dealer clean the terminals. Mine will at no extra cost during an il change if I ask.
2013 Ford Taurus Limited FWD (301A Package)

KathrynO
Vehicle: 2013 Taurus Limited

Post by KathrynO » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:29 pm

I had the same problem on June 20, 2017. My husband could not believe the amount of corrosion and while trying to clean it, ended up with piece after piece after piece coming off. Had to have the car towed to the dealership. Received a call from the service department today telling me that the battery shorted out and caused considerable electrical damage and I am looking at about $1300. I was also told that the battery is only covered under the original warranty and my $1000 extended contract does not cover the battery or electrical. This was the first time I ever purchased an extended plan and now I know why they push them on you........they make money on your purchase, and the plan won't cover anything! I have driven a LOT of Fords in my life, but this is definitely my last one. And Ford Motor Customer Service is absolutely useless!!!

Rolandr64
Vehicle: 2015 Ford Taurus limited

Post by Rolandr64 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:14 am

Yesterday afternoon I decided to go run a couple of errands. My 2015 Taurus wouldn't start. I opened the hood, pulled the red cover off the battery to discover a ton of corrosion. I didn't expect to see this on a very well maintained two year old car. I was livid. I took it in this morning for a new battery. The positive post on the original battery was loose which explains the leak. It ruined the cable connection. The bottom half was completely corroded away. Seems to me Ford has a huge problem with bad batteries. I purchased an extended warranty on this vehicle and I have yet to use it. I used the original warranty once for a light bulb replacement. I will take it in to the dealership tomorrow morning. Let's see if they replace the cable.

KathrynO

Post by KathrynO » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:39 am

Has anyone thought of filing a claim with the Eastern Michigan Better Business Bureau? Just sayin'. :-)

KathrynO

Post by KathrynO » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:40 am

Sorry, I meant filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

GhostRider

Post by GhostRider » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:23 pm

So are people not properly maintaining their terminals? Dont want to sound negative but how much does a can of terminal protectant cost at Auto Zone?...lol. Or the time to just check every once in a while. My dealer will clean mine when asked during an oil change for no extra charge. Might be something folks experiencing this problem should ask their dealer to just keep them clean.
2013 Ford Taurus Limited FWD (301A Package)

JWiggs

Post by JWiggs » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 am

Just went through this also, I assumed the "stealership" was checking these during regular service...at least they told me they were. So this weekend, my wife, like many others, was stranded, fortunately at a relatives house. I guess I'll try to get the connector today, and have the battery evaluated, as it was recently replaced by Ford, with a motorcraft battery. Anyone have any luck getting Ford Cust Svc to chime in on this issue on their behalf? Or any word of a TSB or other action to remediate by Ford?

mmsstar
Vehicle: 2011 Flex SE

Post by mmsstar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 am

Welcome, how long ago was the battery replaced? If there is a fault with the battery it should still have a warranty?

Scoger

Post by Scoger » Tue May 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Same issue this last weekend. I thought I would clean it off and reinstall the post, and realized the clamp portion was corroded all the way through and would no longer hold contact with the battery. After calling around and being told that I would have to get the part from a dealership (not open on Sunday), I settled for a generic battery terminal post that had a screw stud facing upwards. After removing the metal portion from the plastic housing so I could keep the electrical connectors and fuses where they are supposed to be, I was able to rig the fuse assembly to connect all cables and connectors, then connect to the battery terminal. I do not think this should be a permanent fix, as the plastic housing is supposed to protect the terminal, but then again, it seems to do a crappy job to begin with, so I will order a new part and see how long my rigging lasts and make sure to provide updates.