If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2014 Taurus Limited ambient temperature sensor problems

tybo

2014 Taurus Limited ambient temperature sensor problems

Post by tybo » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:58 pm

I purchased a new 2014 last December. since this time, the car has been at the dealership regarding the sensor locking up after the first use virtually each day. As an example, during a cold morning in Florida (44degf) I pulled the car out of the garage (70degf) and rode to work. During this commute, the sensor went from 70degf down to 44 degf. this is good! problem though when I got in thse car at the end of shift, the sensor was still reading 44degf where in actuallity it was 74degf outside. The sensor stayed at 44 for the duration of my return trip home. During the ride home, the "climate control" would not allow the a/c compressor to start. Very warm during the commute, I took the car back to the dealership (100 mi up the road) twice for thisd problem. The first time they changed the sensor (5 days at the dealership). The following day the sensor did the same thing. Three weeks later I again took the car back (9 days at the dealership) where they replaced the wiring harness from the firewall to the sensor. I again took the car home to discover the problem still exists! This past Monday I again took the car back with pict's to show the locked sensor. It is still at the dealership. Last Monday when I dropped the car off, the Service Advisor staqted this is something they have not experienced yet.
Can anyone input into this matter? :(

Greg9933

Re: 2014 Taurus Limited ambient temperature sensor problems

Post by Greg9933 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Interesting you mention this - my 13 SEL takes anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes to display the correct ambient temperature. It will display the temperature when it was turned off for about that long, and you are correct, it messes up the auto HVAC. If your has totally failed at this point, I might be well advised to get mine looked at.

Greg9933
2013 Taurus SEL Ecoboost Tuxedo Black
2010 Audi A5 Quatro Sahara
2001 Ranger Supercab 4x4 OffRoad Woodland Green

USMCStang

Post by USMCStang » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:13 pm

Count me in as having the same issue. It generally works first thing in the morning right away, but then will take 10 minutes or so to start reflecting the correct temperature on subsequent drives.

I would hve thought the auto climate control would use the thermostat in the dash (the little "vent" to the left of the steering column) to determine if the compressor should be turned on, but I too am wondering if it only uses the outdoor temperature when in remote start mode.
2014 Taurus Limited
2010 F150 FX4 Supercrew
1998 Mustang GT

Greg9933

Post by Greg9933 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 pm

I had a power window switch fail, so that car had to go in. I mentioned this climate control problem and requested it be diagnosed. The technician found a faulted ambient air temp sensor that is located in the front of the car. I don't know the exact location, but they had to take the front bumper cover off to access it. It's better, but according my service writer, the car needs to be driven somewhere around 8 minutes above 40 mph to get accurate readings from the sensor.

Really? 10 below and we have to drive the car 8 minutes to get accurate readings? Not buying it, unless this is just another failure associated with the MFT system.

Greg9933

USMCStang

Post by USMCStang » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:08 am

Greg9933 wrote:It's better, but according my service writer, the car needs to be driven somewhere around 8 minutes above 40 mph to get accurate readings from the sensor.

Really? 10 below and we have to drive the car 8 minutes to get accurate readings? Not buying it, unless this is just another failure associated with the MFT system.

Greg9933
I'm thinking it's the MFT system. I can understand them stating that the gauge won't be 100% accurate for about 8 minutes, because for instance, if the car was parked in the sun on a hot day, the sensor will read a little hot until it reaches ambient. That I could deal with, since the best engineers in the world can't change thermodynamics.

My problem is that it doesn't change at all for about 8 to 10 minutes. Once it "boots up" for lack of a better term, the reading will change about every 15 - 30 seconds, which is what I expect upon ignition start. It simply continues to read the last known ambient temperature for at least 10 minutes.

For instance, it's 62 degrees right now. I pulled out of my garage, and it was reading 58. By the time I reached the end of my driveway, it was reading 60. When I got to work (3 minute drive, lucky me), it was reading 62. Perfect.

However, today, it will be around 80 when I leave work. I will remote start the car about 5 minutes before I leave, get in, and go home. It will still be reading 62 when I park it in the garage.

If I decide to take a 20 minute drive or so, at about 10 minutes in, it will read 62, then almost immediately jump to 80, with a few incremental changes, say 67, then 76, then 80 within a one minute span. I imagine this is by design to ensure that there aren't erroneous spikes when you drive through a puddle or other micro climates.

This also shows that the MFT system is what is commanding the sensor. I've also noticed that the TravelLink system stops saying "acquiring" on fuel prices and weather at the same time the sensor begins responding.

Weird.
2014 Taurus Limited
2010 F150 FX4 Supercrew
1998 Mustang GT

Greg9933

Post by Greg9933 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Today is another great example of why I think there is something wrong. It's about 98 degrees here in Portland today. Start up, the system displays the temperature that it showed when the car was turned off, high a/c won't kick in. Have to manually select the recirculate feature, which then changes the temperature of the MFT to "LO".

Anybody got any ideas? Ford says it's fixed.

Greg9933

Angler406

Post by Angler406 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Mine just started this as well today - showing 74° (the temp when I got home this morning) on a 93° day. I'll have to mention it when the Grandpamobile goes in for the license lamp assembly recall on the 12th.
- 2009 Mini Cooper Clubman S - Wifemobile

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:22 am

tybo wrote:I purchased a new 2014 last December. since this time, the car has been at the dealership regarding the sensor locking up after the first use virtually each day. As an example, during a cold morning in Florida (44degf) I pulled the car out of the garage (70degf) and rode to work. During this commute, the sensor went from 70degf down to 44 degf. this is good! problem though when I got in thse car at the end of shift, the sensor was still reading 44degf where in actuallity it was 74degf outside. The sensor stayed at 44 for the duration of my return trip home. During the ride home, the "climate control" would not allow the a/c compressor to start. Very warm during the commute, I took the car back to the dealership (100 mi up the road) twice for thisd problem. The first time they changed the sensor (5 days at the dealership). The following day the sensor did the same thing. Three weeks later I again took the car back (9 days at the dealership) where they replaced the wiring harness from the firewall to the sensor. I again took the car home to discover the problem still exists! This past Monday I again took the car back with pict's to show the locked sensor. It is still at the dealership. Last Monday when I dropped the car off, the Service Advisor staqted this is something they have not experienced yet.
Can anyone input into this matter? :(
Was this taken care of for you, tybo? If not, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll get it escalated to the customer service manager for your area.
Greg9933 wrote:Interesting you mention this - my 13 SEL takes anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes to display the correct ambient temperature. It will display the temperature when it was turned off for about that long, and you are correct, it messes up the auto HVAC. If your has totally failed at this point, I might be well advised to get mine looked at.
USMCStang wrote:Count me in as having the same issue. It generally works first thing in the morning right away, but then will take 10 minutes or so to start reflecting the correct temperature on subsequent drives.

I would hve thought the auto climate control would use the thermostat in the dash (the little "vent" to the left of the steering column) to determine if the compressor should be turned on, but I too am wondering if it only uses the outdoor temperature when in remote start mode.
Angler406 wrote:Mine just started this as well today - showing 74° (the temp when I got home this morning) on a 93° day. I'll have to mention it when the Grandpamobile goes in for the license lamp assembly recall on the 12th.
I recommend you guys bring your vehicles in to your Ford Dealers and get them checked out. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime numbers so I can escalate it as well.

Deysha
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford

Louis

Post by Louis » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:49 pm

I purchased a new 2014 Taurus Limited with Nav yesterday. The ambient temperature indicator was frozen at 65f during the dealer's checkout demonstration. The salesman put the Climate Control on manual and said the ambient temp would be correct after the car started moving. I have driven it twice and the temperature indicator requires 10 to 15 minutes to move off 65f. The first time I put the Climate Control on auto at about the same time the ambient temp indicator started reading correctly (high 70s). The Climate Control was on auto for the entire second drive but the true ambient temp was in the mid to high 60s so it just seemed slow to dry out the humidity.

Is there any known fix yet? If I turn off the Sirius Nav updates will it help? The dealer has not yet responded to my query this morning.

Thanks and I am happy to find this forum.

Louis

jmr061

Post by jmr061 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:29 pm

Some others have complained about the same thing. Two of my older chryslers have temp sensors outside and do the same thing SOMETIMES. Not that it helps your issue but it just seems to be a hit and miss thing.
Jason
2016 Edge Sport
www.FordPIMods.com
I was looking over your site and wanted to say, thank you for all the info. - CrownedKing 11/2015

Greg9933

Post by Greg9933 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:00 am

According to my Ford dealer, normal operation of this sensor requires forward motion of the car at 40+ miles per hour for 7 to 12 minutes.

Don't shoot the messenger...............................

Greg9933

jmr061

Post by jmr061 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:25 pm

I have to check the service manual for that
Jason
2016 Edge Sport
www.FordPIMods.com
I was looking over your site and wanted to say, thank you for all the info. - CrownedKing 11/2015

jmr061

Post by jmr061 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:55 pm

I can find anything that states that. That doesn't sound right as the vehicle uses that sensor for such systems as remote start which obviously would mean the vehicle is parked and been off for sometime.
Jason
2016 Edge Sport
www.FordPIMods.com

jmr061

Post by jmr061 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Update...found the following....

Outside Air Temperature Display

The AAT sensor is hardwired to the PCM through separate input and return circuits. The PCM provides a reference voltage to the AAT sensor and monitors the change in voltage resulting from changes in resistance as determined by outside air temperature. The PCM messages the outside air temperature data to the HVAC module through the BCM . The HVAC module filters the temperature data and sends the updated temperature status back to the BCM . The BCM in turn messages the outside air temperature in degrees Celsius (metric) to the IPC . When the Fahrenheit (English) display is selected by the driver, the IPC converts the Celsius to Fahrenheit and displays the temperature in the message center.

The HVAC module is programmed to update the messaged outside temperature data at different rates depending on several criteria to prevent false temperature displays due to a condition known as heat soaking. Heat soaking is where the air temperature in the location of the AAT sensor is hotter than the actual outside air temperature.

When the sensed outside temperature rises, the display updates slowly at varying rates based on vehicle speed. When the sensed outside temperature drops, the display updates more quickly following the drop experienced by the AAT sensor.
Jason
2016 Edge Sport
www.FordPIMods.com

Greg9933

Post by Greg9933 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:09 am

And that, sir, is exactly what it does. It stair steps up in temperature on that display.

So, setting aside the delay in correct exterior temperature display, does this sensor have anything to do with the automatic climate control? Mine seems to have trouble determining that it is 90 outside, 120 inside, and we need full a/c right bloody NOW! I frequently have to press the that MAX button on the lower portion of the console control.

G

jmr061

Post by jmr061 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:15 am

There is a temp sensor inside the car however I did read that the outside temp does affect some functionality of the hvac system
Jason
2016 Edge Sport
www.FordPIMods.com

jworlin
Vehicle: 2014 Ford Taurus

Post by jworlin » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:28 am

My A/C started to cut off after I had a activator door replaced (cold on driver side, hot on passenger side). The problem now is the air works great, and suddenly the air quits blowing. No fan action at all, not even defrost, so very dangerous with windows fogging up. Also notices the outside temperature
displayed on center screen goes to "---". After the car sits overnight, air works great again for a bit. Dealer replaced the ambient temperature sensor last week, worked OK one day, next day same thing. Dealer said no codes, so they have no idea. Very bad design that you can't get any air movement, and there does not seem to be anyway to override what ever is going on and get the fan or defrost to work. Already have $500+ into this and still no reliable air. Any ideas? My car is a 2014 Taurus Limited.

mymangochutney
Vehicle: Taurus FPIS 2013

Post by mymangochutney » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:40 pm

Is this car like other fords where you can remove the glovebox to get to the connector?

My evap sensor is stuck at freezing so AC won't turn on! I want to bypass it