If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Power Windows & Locks

Chastise

Power Windows & Locks

Post by Chastise » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:35 pm

Is it possible to instal Power Windows and Power Locks in my 1989 Ford Taurus L? And, more to the point, is it worth it? I'm sure it's possible, but I'm also sure it could possibly cost more than I paid for the car.

BillR

Re: Power Windows & Locks

Post by BillR » Fri May 16, 2014 11:03 am

Chastise wrote:Is it possible to instal Power Windows and Power Locks in my 1989 Ford Taurus L? And, more to the point, is it worth it? I'm sure it's possible, but I'm also sure it could possibly cost more than I paid for the car.
Two good questions.

Yes, it's possible. As a rule you will need a lock solenoid kit to power the locks:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220PRPDL45 ... DL-45.html

As a rule a kit like this is used in conjunction with an auto start kit or alarm kit or both:

http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/s ... stems.html

Note the different prices depending on which system you choose and features you want or need.

That brings up your second question; is it worth it.

Figure a few hundred dollars for the total install of the locks and complexity of the system you choose.

The benefits are safety, you can lock and unlock your car from a distance as well as arm or disarm the alarm if you go that route not to mention if you go the remote start route you can pre-warm your car in the winter keeping the car locked.

Only you can decide if all this is worth it on a car the age of yours...26 years is (using 2015 as the new car year) is sort of getting up there.

The fact is, if you can swing it if you trade up to a newer car power door locks were standard on most 90s and up midline cars.

Don't know if that helps you or not, good luck either way :)
1989 Thunderbird Super Coupe
1993 Taurus SHO
1994 Taurus Wagon
2000 Taurus SE - 2002 Taurus SEL
2002 Taurus SEL - 2002 Sable
2012 Taurus SEL-White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat