If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Parking brake pedal issue

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
05-Montego

Parking brake pedal issue

Post by 05-Montego » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:23 pm

I've got an issue with my parking brake pedal. Today when I released the parking brake I noticed that the message center still said "PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED" and attempting to drive anywhere resulted in frenzied beeps. I checked and the parking brake is definitely not engaged. I also noticed that I can't re-engage the parking brake either. Pushing the parking brake pedal down did apply the rear brakes, but the pedal wouldn't latch and stay down to keep the brake applied. So I looked on the pulley behind the brake pedal and noticed some kind of white latch/switch. When I pulled it forward the "PARKING BRAKE ENGAGED" message went off and I was able to drive normally. This also allowed me to re-engage the parking brake but disengaging it afterwards caused the same symptoms to happen.

What do I need to replace here? I'm assuming it's that switch and I've tried looking around at a few different auto parts websites but I have no idea what this part is called nor do I know the procedure for replacing it.

Any ideas?
2005 Mercury Montego Premier

Black Stallion

Re: Parking brake pedal issue

Post by Black Stallion » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi 05-Montego !

Did you resolve your problem? I am having the exact same problem with my 2006 Five Hundred....I suspect it is the parking brake controller I am not sure that little movable white licking mechanism can be replaced and I am also not sure what its called.....all my cables are fine. The pedal will not full disengage and the brake light stays on...but I am pretty sure the rear brakes are released.

I have searched and searched and no one else on the various forums has reported this problem.

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:10 am

This sounds like a dealer item only. I would go there they have every part for your car. You could check rockauto.com

05-Montego

Post by 05-Montego » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Nope, I still haven't fixed it. I just stopped using the parking brake all together.

I don't know what the white part is called and I've never been able to find a diagram that mentions it. It's very strange.
2005 Mercury Montego Premier

Tierod
Vehicle: 2007 Mercury Montego

Post by Tierod » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:38 pm

My 2007 Mercury Montego had the same problem, you set the parking brake and when you try to release it or set it again it would not work. I took apart the parking brake controller and there was a white plastic piece broke inside it. The part # FB5Z-2780-A (it was called a lever on the box). I got mine from Carriage ford, Clarksville IN for $80.00 which that was about the same price on the internet different sites. However, if you replace yours make sure you check the length of the new cable that comes with the part, my new cable was 2 inches shorter than the old cable. I had to take it back off and install the old cable on the new parking brake controller. The # on the old part was no longer any good but here they are so you can compare, (6F93-2780-A) (G853A). It takes about 1.5 hours to replace.

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Tue May 08, 2018 5:21 pm

My 2007 Montego had the same problem at about 118,000 miles.
I had the dealer repair it.
[ I'm not as enthusiastic about doing this stuff myself as I used to be~! ]