If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

MikeGlosta
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Re: Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

Post by MikeGlosta » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:50 pm

I guess it is a matter of preference ( $$ ).

But there is one correction: You: I really think it's an electrical problem, strange how you can clear the code and it runs fine for a while without replacing anything."

I DID replace the OSS ( $500 ) AND then cleared the code when the problem reoccurred - and haven't had the problem popup in 600+ miles. I don't think the mechanic cleared the code when he brought it off the lift.

I agree with you: When the Taurus is running fine it is like driving a top of the line car. As it is a 2008 it is time to live with whatever keeps it running - simply can't afford to keep throwing money into this baby.

BILLinVegas
Vehicle: 2008 Taurus X SEL

Post by BILLinVegas » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:41 pm

Some posters have cleared the code without replacing OSS and/or TSS, and others have cleared the code after replacing.
I have to keep mine going, just bought it, and it only has 88k. Clean, rust-free Cali car with a complete service records on the Carfax.
If I found this forum before I bought it, I don't think I'd be driving it. I'm lucky to have a mechanic who is honest and reasonably priced.

MikeGlosta
Vehicle: 2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Post by MikeGlosta » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:30 am

What have you had done to try to correct the problem? Are you continuing to drive it as is? I know the pickle you are in - I've wasted more money on car experiments than I care to admit. Although I've driven 600+ miles since fixing this problem ( new OSS and reset ) I still wonder how the motor will react after I shut it off to go into a coffee shop and start it again when I come out.

Another car I drive is the 2005 Chevy Impala with approximately 73K. As yet no major problems other than the expected wear, alignment etc. The Impala sits a lot lower to the ground but is very similar to the Taurus in comfort and space. I wouldn't hesitate to consider another one if needed. These are two very roomy and powerful full size sedans.

By the way: the Taurus gets 23-24 mpg on the highway as long as I keep it under 80 mph and 18 around town. The Impala a little less but still very satisfying to drive anywhere.

Stay in touch and let me know how you are making out with the Taurus X

BILLinVegas
Vehicle: 2008 Taurus X SEL

Post by BILLinVegas » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Just the 6 coils and plugs, and reset the P0720 error code. It's been fine since, but then again it only did it to me once, and I have no idea how it behaved before I bought it. It may have never done it (doubtful!) or it may have happened every few days.
I have yet to take it on a long trip down the road, and am hesitant to do so. But I'll be trying it within the next few months. I have AAA, and I'll stay on the main roads for now. Living out West, everyplace you go on a trip is a few hundred miles away. And as far as MPG, speeds on US 15 are 80+ in many places. We'll see what I get.