If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

gray1402

Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

Post by gray1402 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Hi

New to this forum but I just wanted to share my experience. I have a 2008 Ford Taurus X and it has about 68,000 miles on it. In the past couple of weeks my car had made a couple of what I thought were misses but clunks. Almost like when your driving it shutters like it was missing when your wife accidentally puts Walmart gas in it. I chocked it up to bad gas and because my car was going in on Monday for oil change and maintenance didn't think about it much. On Sunday was driving along nothing out of the ordinary, about 45 mph, the car did it and the little wrench came on, the engine light, the airbag light, the low tire light all came on and the mileage went to -----, Miles to empty --- etc. Sync sent me message saying "Immediately find a safe place to have your vehicle inspected before the concern becomes more critical". I found a place and I stopped and turned the car off. I waited a few minutes to see if the car would run at all and it cranked up. Since I was sitting in a bad place I thought I would try to make it home if it would go. The engine revved a little but it took off and ran like it was stuck in drive which I later found is a failsafe mode to keep from doing damage. I made it home which was just a couple miles. I got it home and let it sit for a while and then went back out and cranked it up. The engine light was on but nothing else and I ran a vehicle health report. The mileage was back and the car drove fine not a hiccup nothing.

Took it to the dealer expecting to get reamed. They called me a little later telling me the Output Speed Sensor was bad. Heres what they said. The car show code P0720 which is the OSS and the transmission will have to be pulled out, the valve body removed, the transmission pan removed, and the output speed sensor replaced which was behind that. Said it would be about $507 and it would take a day to get the part. They couldn't guarantee that that would fix the problem but via the code thats what the problem is.

I have a neighbor who is a transmission re-builder. I went to see him and took the car to him. He put his scanners on it and to all of his indications the speed sensor didn't seem to be the problem. He watched it along with the other three sensors (if I remember right) and the OSS was fine. I think he said he did see indication of possible valve body problems.

I have heard the transmissions themselves are pretty bullet proof but the valve bodies and solenoid problems seem to plague this series of transmissions. Could we not get a 6F55 valve body and basically change the transmission to that of the new Exploder. I just want a long term solution for my Taurus X because I love it not a $129 for this flash, and a $507 for an OSS, and a $1100 for a rebuilt valve body (that is basically built from used beer cans) and doing this every 30,000 miles.

Does anyone have an idea? Something has to work.....and work well...

ctrlraven

Re: Taurus X transmission woes. Any ideas?

Post by ctrlraven » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:25 am

Ever had the transmission pan dropped and filter changed before? If the code is coming up for the OSS then it's the OSS or something closely related to it.

The TSB flash is a joke, paid $95 and pulling out of the dealer the car did the 1-2 shift clunk, I gave up on trying to solve that issue. I did get a performance tune for the car and since re-flashing my computer with the new tune it hasn't done it once.

Take it to a transmission only repair shop and have them check it out. A dealer will get you over a lot more.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

gray1402

Post by gray1402 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:47 pm

My neighbor two doors down owns a transmission store and builds transmissions. I took it to him and he put his monitoring equipment on and found the oss not to be faulty. Or rather, it never acted up while they drove it and they drove it a lot in those couple of days. They did notice that the valve body system was not functioning properly which he says is what he sees in every single one that comes in with issues. He told me there is a solenoid that sticks in the valve body and the manufacturer knows this. He also said the transmissions themselves are virtually bullet proof. He is pretty sure the valve body, on the other hand, is made from recycled beer cans because it is crap. The re-builders quit re-building them because they always come back and it's not feasible financially to continue this. So you have to buy a new one from Ford which may have the same problem before another 60,000 miles.

What I would like to do is get a new valve body that is for the new Ford Exploder. I would have to update my shift lever to the selectshift system but that would be ok. See the new Explorers are the Taurus X's with bigger tires, different front and back fascia, and some improvements. The transmission valve body being one of them. I know the 6F50 is in the TREX and the 6F55 is in the Exploder but they are still basically same if I understand correctly.

Wbmius

Post by Wbmius » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:57 am

My wife had the exact same problem last night. What did you end up doing? What should we do?

sorensenj

Post by sorensenj » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:02 am

If you do a search of this forum you will find you are not alone on having transmission problems and that Ford is monitoring the forum. I responded to a post by a gal from Ford and was pm'd to go to the dealer and get it checked out. I had already taken it to ther dealer twice, had the reflash done first time and was told there was the dealer had nothing in the way of TSB's the second time. So off the the dealer the third time. Again I was told they had nothing new on the tranny problems but would look further into it. That was a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard from them yet. But I have received a phone message asking if I had taken the car to the dealer yet and to let Ford know if there was anything more they could do. Well, yeah there is, get some help to the dealers on this problem and get it solved once and for all. How many dissatisfied customers do they need? The evidence of a problem keeps piling up. I can't blame the dealer if they don't have the proper procedures to help them find the problem. Come on Ford time to get it taken care of. :x
2008 T/X SEL awd
2008 Silverado LS 4x4

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:35 pm

Wbmius wrote:My wife had the exact same problem last night. What did you end up doing? What should we do?
Hi Wbmius,

Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can review your situation. Talk to you soon!
sorensenj wrote:I responded to a post by a gal from Ford and was pm'd to go to the dealer and get it checked out. But I have received a phone message asking if I had taken the car to the dealer yet and to let Ford know if there was anything more they could do.
@sorensenj - Did you call the Customer Service Manager back? If you had difficulty reaching her, let me know and I'll pass the message along. Thank you for the continued patience!

~Natasha
FORD SERVICE

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordServiceImage@FordTaurusImage@Ford
f: Imagefacebook.com/Ford

sorensenj

Post by sorensenj » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:38 am

I received a call from what sounded like a Ford rep asking if I had taken my car in to the ford dealer which I had done as instructed from an earlier message. My recorder is not the best and it was hard to understand what was actually said I'm afraid but I figured since I had taken it in (the part of the message I could understand) that I would just wait to see what the dealer comes up with. I haven't heard from the dealer yet. Thanks for your help!

Jeff Sorensen
2008 T/X SEL awd
2008 Silverado LS 4x4

jcatwell1

Post by jcatwell1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:57 pm

I've been having the same problems with my 2008 Taurus X. They replaced the OSS and TSS sensors about a month ago and everything seemed perfect for a while. As we were leaving the house for the 700 mile trip to Disney World it started acting up again! We limped back home and picked up a rental car for the week. I guess I should be grateful we weren't in the middle of nowhere on the interstate.

We're back now and had the car towed to the dealership yesterday. As of noon, they still hadn't gotten to it. I don't know that I can trust this car for long trips any more and that's the whole reason we bought it!

sorensenj

Post by sorensenj » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:17 am

That's exactly what concerns me about my tranny acting up. I'd hate to see it break down on my wife on a country road in the middle of winter. That's why I'm trying to get this straightened out before it becomes a fire. We like the car, we want to be able to trust it! Our car just turned 40000 miles and we'd like to think it has some life left in it. The tranny situation makes us less sure about that. I really hate that it only acts out once in a while, no consistancy to speak of, which in my mind is the hallmark of troubleshooting. I feel like a dolt telling my dealer about the problem but not being able to show them because of the inconsistancy. Fraustrating to say the least and thanks to Ford for monitoring the forum trying to provide an answer. I hope they can find something.
2008 T/X SEL awd
2008 Silverado LS 4x4

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:54 am

sorensenj wrote:I received a call from what sounded like a Ford rep asking if I had taken my car in to the ford dealer which I had done as instructed from an earlier message.
No problem. I emailed your CSM and she will contact you as soon as possible. Thanks!
jcatwell1 wrote:I've been having the same problems with my 2008 Taurus X. They replaced the OSS and TSS sensors about a month ago and everything seemed perfect for a while. We're back now and had the car towed to the dealership yesterday.
Hi jcatwell1,

I know that must be unsettling. Please PM me your VIN, contact information, mileage, & servicing dealer name/state so I can assist. I look forward to hearing from you.

~Natasha
FORD SERVICE

jcatwell1

Post by jcatwell1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:24 pm

Wow, I just received a call about 20 minutes ago and they are telling me I need a new transmission and that it will cost $3900!! This is crazy! If they had fixed the problem in the first place, the transmission would never have been damaged from trying to shift at the wrong times due to the bad sensors! Natasha, I really hope you can provide some kind of assistance here.

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:32 pm

jcatwell1 wrote:Wow, I just received a call about 20 minutes ago and they are telling me I need a new transmission and that it will cost $3900!! This is crazy! If they had fixed the problem in the first place, the transmission would never have been damaged from trying to shift at the wrong times due to the bad sensors! Natasha, I really hope you can provide some kind of assistance here.
Wow, I can't guarantee anything but I'll review your case as soon as possible and see what I can do. Thank you for your patience.

~Natasha
FORD SERVICE

jcatwell1

Post by jcatwell1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Well folks, if you are unfortunate enought to be stuck with one of these vehicles, I would recommend trading it in ASAP. I just got off the phone with Ford and they aren't going to do anything for me. They wouldn't fix the transmission while it was under warranty, but they are more than happy to charge me $3900 to fix it now that the warranty is expired. I've had the sensors fixed but the damage was already done, and now I'm stuck with this "piece."

donl

Post by donl » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:34 pm

So much for Ford Customer Service that monitors this site being any aid...but not unexpected.
2013 Titanium AWD Escape

sorensenj

Post by sorensenj » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:40 am

Sorry to hear about your tranny jcatwell1=( I was under the impression that the tranny was covered under the power train warranty but sounds like it isn't. Did you have too many miles on the car for it to cover? Or am I wrong about the power train coverage covering the tranny?
2008 T/X SEL awd
2008 Silverado LS 4x4

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:50 am

The Powertrain warranty on your 2008 T/X is 5 years or 60k miles, whichever comes first! The years part starts the day the first was first sold or as they call it "In service/warranty date".

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/c ... rdwa3e.pdf
(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or
60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to
the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads,
electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts, flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts, oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing, timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt), turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump; Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, propeller shafts, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints.
2004 Mercury Marauder

jcatwell1

Post by jcatwell1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:48 am

I've got 68k on the Taurus. I took it in with the problems while I was still in the 50, though. They claimed there was nothing wrong with the transmission, but clearly that wasn't true! It seems like a deceptive business practice to me. Deny the problem till the warranty expires and the happily charge the customer for the fix! The dealer points to Ford saying I would have to get relief from them, and Ford points their finger at the dealer saying they should be responsible. Considering how many people seem to be having these problems, I hope there is a class action style lawyer that trolls these boards looking for cases!

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:06 pm

The dealership won't do warranty repair work unless they can produce the problem or it comes in completely bad. I went down this road with my 08 Taurus and frankly just gave up. I'm glad I bought the extended 6yr/100k mile warranty. I'm at 83k miles now.
2004 Mercury Marauder

FordCustomerService

Post by FordCustomerService » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:24 pm

jcatwell1 wrote:They wouldn't fix the transmission while it was under warranty, but they are more than happy to charge me $3900 to fix it now that the warranty is expired.
I'm sorry you are unsatisfied. Once the warranty has expired, and without an Extended Service Plan, options are limited. Your situation has been documented for future reference. I suggest working with the Service Manager for the best possible result.
donl wrote:So much for Ford Customer Service that monitors this site being any aid...but not unexpected.
When a vehicle is out of warranty, assistance doesn't always result in financial aid. I will continue to help where I can, though.
sorensenj wrote:I was under the impression that the tranny was covered under the power train warranty but sounds like it isn't. Did you have too many miles on the car for it to cover?
As ctrlraven posted, the Powertrain warranty on a 2008 covers five years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Extended Service Plans are available to lengthen coverage terms.

~Natasha
FORD SERVICE

Wbmius

Post by Wbmius » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:21 pm

Problem happened again today. Really unhappy. My wife feels unsafe in the car. Maybe we should be buying foreign. I'm a Ford guy from a Ford family. My grandpa, Bill Balla, helped on the Ford Bronco and (as a consultant) helped with the Thunderbird emblem. He also co-designed the X-2000 concept car. But, my wife's safety is priority number one. We bought the car with 59k. It had a 3 month, 3k limited comprehensive warranty, but it first started just after we went over the 3k limit (even though it doesn't expire date wise until tomorrow. We do have a 6 yr, 100k limited power train warranty, but if dealership can't replicate the problem, we'll never get the car fixed...