If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

6 Speed transmission fluid change

interceptorxr7

6 Speed transmission fluid change

Post by interceptorxr7 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 pm

Hey all,
When I change my oil, I want to drain the fluid in the transmission pan too. What I wanna know is what kind of fluid does it take, and how much just for draining the pan. It has 75k on the fluid right now im guessing, its not red anymore, more of a maroon. I know I should get it flushed soon. Im not noticing anything weird from the transmission, just would be peace of mind for me.

Thanks!
2006 Ford Five Hundred Limited 6 Speed

ctrlraven

Re: 6 Speed transmission fluid change

Post by ctrlraven » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:48 am

Transmission fluid is Mercon V and from what I was told if you drop the pan about 4 quarts come out. If your fluid is Maroon it needs to be all changed asap.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

jelloyd

Post by jelloyd » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 am

Actually the transmission fluid is XT-8-QAW (US), CXT-8-LAW12 (Canada) and the Mecron V is not compatible with the Aisen21 6-speed in the Ford Five Hundred. When you drain it measure the amount that comes out than put in the same amount when your refilling.

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:39 pm

jelloyd wrote:Actually the transmission fluid is XT-8-QAW (US), CXT-8-LAW12 (Canada) and the Mecron V is not compatible with the Aisen21 6-speed in the Ford Five Hundred. When you drain it measure the amount that comes out than put in the same amount when your refilling.
You're correct, I thought the 6-speed from the Five Hundred and the 5th gen 08/09 Taurus 6-speed were the same. The Five Hundred has a Aisin AWF21 6-speed and the 08/09 Taurus has a 6F50 6-speed.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 pm

A drain of XT-8-QAW fluid should get you 3 quarts, 8 oz.

kukaepe

Post by kukaepe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:09 pm

The factory workshop manual talks about placing the gearshift lever in neutral prior to shutting down the engine for a transmission drain. It says that you should get 5 of the 7 quarts out of the transmission when you do this. I recently serviced my '05 Five Hundred 6 sp Aisin transmission and did get 5 quarts out of the drain plug. As suggested above, I measured it and refilled with 5 quarts of Motorcraft XT-8-QAW.

Richmontego

Post by Richmontego » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:19 pm

Hi guys. I was thinking of changing my 2005 Mercury Montego with the Toyota 6-speed tranny (NOT CVT) with Valvoline MAX Life synthetic ATF. Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with this fluid on the Toyota 6 Speed transmission (NOT CVT)? Also, I noticed this Toyota 6 speed tranny does not have a dipstick. How are you guys checking the fluid level is there a video or instruction on that? Does anyone have the instructions on the tranny fluid change as well with video or step by step (maybe with pictures)? I just cannot seem to find them on youtube. What is the mileage changing interval on these 6 speeds anyways? Is it 30,000 miles or 60,000 miles?

My 6 speed is maybe once every two months shifting very rough (like a surge during engagement) at low speeds (maybe 3-5 mph) when I step of the brake and quickly hit the gas afterwards (I try to not do this anymore). Any suggestions to help this??? the Throttle Body was replaced and it still does this so it must be the tranny itself is what I was thinking either low fluid or a change is needed. The fluid was change about 38,000miles ago at a dealer when my dad owned the car. I was thinking since the Motorcraft/Toyota fluid was not synthetic (I think its not anyways), maybe synthetic Valvoline may improve it without breaking my wallet at the same time. Any suggestions would be great. thanks

The Bone

Post by The Bone » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:14 am

These transmissions hold about 13 quarts (just a guess) but way more than 5. So you remove the 5 quarts of fluid and mix it with whats left in the transmission. So what did you really do? How are you coming out ahead? Just spend the money go to the dealer and have them do a service on the transmission. They can make some adjustments and make it good as new. They will remove ALL the fluid. Depose of it for you and you will be assured it's done correctly. If not they will have to make it right. I;m all for the DYI guy. I do most of my own work also but trans and radiator flushes are better if you have them done.

Montego
Vehicle: 2007 Mercury Montego Premier

Post by Montego » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:55 am

The Bone wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:14 am
These transmissions hold about 13 quarts (just a guess) but way more than 5. So you remove the 5 quarts of fluid and mix it with whats left in the transmission. So what did you really do? How are you coming out ahead?
The 6-speed transmission in the '05-'07 Ford Five Hundred or Mercury Montego has a total fill of 7.4 quarts. When I've drained the transmission it removes approximately 3.5 quarts. With those amounts two drain and fills gets you 72% new fluid. Three drain and fills gets you 85% new fluid.

skarz
Vehicle: 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE

Post by skarz » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:55 pm

Is it recommended to also replace the filter when changing the transmission fluid? How easy of a process is that? When I did it on my '04 Town & Country the filter just 'popped' in place.