If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Buying a Ford Five Hundred. What should I know?

bscappell

Buying a Ford Five Hundred. What should I know?

Post by bscappell » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:50 pm

New to the Forum. I have been lurking the last couple of days reading a lot.

I am looking at a 2005 Ford Five Hundred SE FWD with 65k.

the owner hasn't driven it much in 2 years.

What should I know before buying?

I noticed the AC felt weak at idle so the Refrigerant Control Valve (RCV) may need to be replaced.

I didn't notice any issues with driving related to acceleration or lack there of so I think the Throttle Body is ok? maybe some could point to what I should look for there. I know there is an extended warranty on this but being it is a 2005 and its 2015 the warranty might be up on this?

any other issues? I see a lot of threads on brakes and the records show that rear brakes were done recently.

I plan on bringing it into a mechanic to do an inspection. should I point them to anything in particular?

Forgive me if this is all covered on this forum. I am sure this is beating a dead horse but any help is appreciated. I am hesitant to purchase because there isn't a lot of data on a vehicles that was produced for 3 years and want to make sure we are making a good purchase.

EmmaJean500

Re: Buying a Ford Five Hundred. What should I know?

Post by EmmaJean500 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:57 pm

Don't feel that way! I bought my Mom's '05 500 SE 4 months ago, and it had 43.5K. She spent over $1200 last Aug '14 on the AC. It was leaking refrigerant oil. Her dealer in Bardstown completely redid the rear brakes on a recall. I didn't know, and never heard of the CVT tranny, until I tried to find the tranny d/stick and learned it was a CVT. This is a great website that seems to have some very patient members. So far, I haven't worn out my welcome. You are doing the right thing to either find a mechanic that knows this vehicle, or take it to a dealer. READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL! Also, the maintenance booklet. I learned fast here that I kept getting: READ THE MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE. Did you get ALL the service records? The dealer my Mom bought the car from were more than happy to give me all they did when she owned it. I would strongly suggest opening the air filter box and examine the air filter. I don't think that was ever done when my Mom owned this car. If you have any concerns feel free to send me a private message. There are others here that seem to like helping us "newbies". I sold my '09 Focus SES (48K) so I could get this! It is a great riding car!
2005 Five Hundred SE (w/CVT; no AWD) 2012 Escape XLT

bscappell

Post by bscappell » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:47 pm

Thank you for the response. Anyone else have advice or specific things to look at? I have a pre purchase inspection scheduled for next week and would really like to bring up a couple of common issues to them to take a closer look at

jackusa

Post by jackusa » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:25 am

If it's a CVT, make sure you get it inspected. They are prone to fail...
2014 Taurus SEL AWD

guadalcanal1933

Post by guadalcanal1933 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:37 pm

I have a 2005 Ford Five Hundred .Bought it when it only had 17,000 miles. Now have 67,000 and it is in the transmission shop and will cost almost $4000. to replace the body valve and etc.
At normal driving speed when I slowed down below around 30 mph it downshifted into a very
harsh manner. I was told this is a problem with their 6 speed transmissions. Check this out on
the internet.

bscappell

Post by bscappell » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:21 am

Ended up passing on the 500 and buying a 07 Mercury Milan. Same as a fusion. I like it so far.

RachelAnn
Vehicle: 2007 Ford Five Hundred

Post by RachelAnn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:37 pm

Just don't buy one, honestly with the issues my 2007 138,000k became. I wish I would've bought a Chevy impala