If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Shifter selection

jscott

Post by jscott » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:34 am

Jamers wrote:And if you're worried about having to replace your pads a little earlier on account of having to use them, just remember a new transmission will cost you a whole lot more.
This doesn't create extra wear on the transmission as others have pointed out, and if you look in the manual, you will see that this is what the L position was intended for.
Jamers wrote:Call me an oddball, but I would simply like to option of not riding the brakes. I mean, we do have an electronic transmission...why would it be so difficult (or expensive) to add an "OD off" button or something?.
Why would an OD cancel button be any better than the L position? If anything, it is less flexible / useful. All OD cancel does is limit vehicles to one gear below top and engage engine braking in that gear. I.E. in a 4spd, you get 3rd. In a 6spd, you would get 5th. L will give you the lowest safe gear for the current vehicle speed with engine braking -> so it can be 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd or 1st. It is trickier to use, though.
Jamers wrote:Lets be honest here, the "L" selection does not work that well.
I agree, but what would you like to see different? IMO, the problem with L is when you get unintended down shifts, and it isn't easy to make an up shift to get out of it.[/quote]

warment

Post by warment » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:11 pm

Using the L selection is not the same as using an "OD off" button. The L selection makes the engine rev to over 4k rpm (in my experience), and doe not appear (I let the car rev to over 4k) to shift out of third gear if using the L selection from a standstill. I know I am not driving a sports car, but I like to have options.

I simply want something that will effectively use some engine braking without revving the h*ll out of the engine. I for one would find that useful for my driving. Driving through the mountains either results in tire squeal, or hot brakes.

I really love the car, but this annoys me.

And don't get me started on the "auto up" window feature that usually goes halfway down before I can roll up the window when I have a 1 inch crack in the window...

Bill

jscott

Post by jscott » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:19 am

warment wrote:Using the L selection is not the same as using an "OD off" button.
I wasn't trying to say that it was; sorry if it came across that way. I was trying to point out that there are advantages to the L position over an OD cancel, and I am trying to help you understand how to use the L position better.
warment wrote:The L selection makes the engine rev to over 4k rpm (in my experience), and doe not appear (I let the car rev to over 4k) to shift out of third gear if using the L selection from a standstill.
I'm not sure it will even shift out of 1st from a standstill. IIRC, there are no up shifts in L with this trans, but I could be wrong. If there are up shifts, they will be done at very high engine speeds.

The best way to make use of L is to first accelerate to your desired speed in D and then move the selector to L. Even if high engine speed up shifts are made in L, it is probably best to think of L as only doing down shifts. I believe it uses fixed down shift points based on vehicle speed, and they are probably set pretty high. This will always put you in the lowest available gear, i.e. the most engine braking available.

The disadvantage to this is that if you want to hold a speed near a down shift point, you will some times get down shifts that you don't want. If you want to up shift a gear, move the selector temporarily back to D and make sure you accelerate to a speed above the shift speed for the gear you wanted to get out of. Then move the selector back to L. Don't worry about the engine speed going to over 4K.

The reason I said this is better than OD cancel is because all that gives you is top gear - 1 with engine braking. If you wanted to drive in the 40-55mph range, you probably wouldn't get enough engine braking to do much good in OD cancel (the higher the engine speed, the more engine braking you get). L is trickier to use than OD cancel, and you can't just put it in L and accelerate up to your speed, either.
warment wrote: I know I am not driving a sports car, but I like to have options.
I understand. I am not saying I disagree with you about the lack of selector positions. I am just trying to help you understand how L works, and the best way to make use of it. I am also curious about what type of functionality people want.
warment wrote:I simply want something that will effectively use some engine braking without revving the h*ll out of the engine. I for one would find that useful for my driving.
I understand, but you can't have decent engine braking without higher engine speeds. That doesn't mean it needs to be 4k+ RPM, though, and more driver control would be nice. On relatively flat ground, the CVT goes to about 3500RPM when moved to L; I'd like to see what it does on steeper down hill grades.
warment wrote:I really love the car, but this annoys me.
I do understand, believe it or not ;)
warment wrote:And don't get me started on the "auto up" window feature that usually goes halfway down before I can roll up the window when I have a 1 inch crack in the window...
My problem is with getting that 1" crack in the first place. The auto-up/down and too touchy for me...

PS -> I'd also like to suggest that owners of the 6spd trans on the board get together and do a little experiment. When exiting a freeway at a higher speed (preferably 70mph+), move the gear selector from D -> L and try to notice the vehicle speeds when the down shifts are made. The first one will probably be immediate, and could well be a 6->4. If several people were able to get a decent idea of the speeds the shifts seemed to happen at, it would give everyone a good idea of what speeds the shifts are made at allowing them to avoid unintended down shifts in L.

angel500

Post by angel500 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:46 pm

And don't get me started on the "auto up" window feature that usually goes halfway down before I can roll up the window when I have a 1 inch crack in the window...
We also have this feature in the Cadillac. I've learned with both it takes two quick taps to get an inch to and inch and a half. Though the auto down feature is convienent for me with toll booths. I know hold it down a bit longer instead of the quick tap and it goes all the way down. Thus I don't have to hold it down while trying to drive or trying to get the ticket stub and payment. To *me* it's just yet another one of those features I appreciate. Yet I also realize not everyone does.

angel

warment

Post by warment » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:48 am

The "L" will shift out of 1st from a standstill. As I said before, it will shift from 1st -> 2nd -> 3rd at around 4500rpm or so. I could not get the car to shift to fourth gear.

Also, when I am driving along in 6th gear around 50 mph and I drop the car into L, the car does not appear to go into 5th gear. It appears to drop down multiple gears (possibly to 3rd gear), and the car revs far too high for my comfort.

The engine in these cars have no problem handling high revs though.

Bill

jscott

Post by jscott » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:30 am

warment wrote:The "L" will shift out of 1st from a standstill. As I said before, it will shift from 1st -> 2nd -> 3rd at around 4500rpm or so. I could not get the car to shift to fourth gear.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if these were set up to up shift or not, and I am suprised the speed is this low. The traditional Ford logic is to not up shift in an L position, but this transmission is from Aisin and uses their control system.
warment wrote:Also, when I am driving along in 6th gear around 50 mph and I drop the car into L, the car does not appear to go into 5th gear. It appears to drop down multiple gears (possibly to 3rd gear), and the car revs far too high for my comfort.
The basic logic is to shift to the lowest available gear based on the vehicle speed, so yes, it will probably shift down multiple gears @ 50mph (3rd wouldn't suprise me). The biggest problem I see with the L position is that you can't choose between getting a little more and a lot more engine braking.

I also dislike not being able to select a higher gear for slippery surfaces (start out in 2nd rather than 1st), but this is less of an issue with traction control being pretty standard on these vehicles.

warment

Post by warment » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:18 am

No offense taken.

Thanks for the comments.

I personally would not want to shift into "L" at anything over 40-45 mph based on what I told you before. I guess the computer wouldn't let the engine over rev, but I don't think performing the shift would be good.

Bill
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

tfaas

Post by tfaas » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:37 am

Unless your towing, all you really need any more is: reverse, go, no go.
2005 Silver Frost SE/ FWD Six Speed T/C

warment

Post by warment » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:28 am

Apparently I am not the only one who thinks this is a problem. Motor Trend's latest review of the Fusion states the same problem regarding the lack of tranny gear selection on the 6 spd auto.

Bill
6-spd auto

warment

Post by warment » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:57 am

6-spd auto