If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Shifter selection

warment

Shifter selection

Post by warment » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:28 am

Why didn't Ford decide to put a "D-5-4-3-2-1" selection instead of just a "D-L" selection on the shifter? While I definitely did not buy the Five Hundred to "shift gears" on a 6 speed auto (I have a supercharged mustang 5-speed for that), I do find that I "ride my brakes" heavily in traffic where I live, and would like to be able to shift to a lower gear (or at least turn off overdrive with a button).

The "L" selection appears to be all but useless when not driving on snow. Does the car even shift out of third gear?

Just my minor gripe...

Bill

JJ

Post by JJ » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:28 am

I too wish the shifter was P R D 5 4 3 2 1 instead of P R N D L
The L is used for engine braking. On mine it down shifts to the next lower gear and if the car slows down even more it will continue to down shift. Why are you using L when driving in the snow?
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

Domain

Post by Domain » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:47 pm

I love my Five Hundred, but I agree here. I have the CVT, however, I too end up riding my brakes more than I would like at times. Especially up in the hills, I used to throw the Escape in second and was fine, now, the Five Hundred..yeeeaaaaahhhh.
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD

Jamers

Post by Jamers » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:37 pm

I think it was posted on this site before that putting the shifter in to L will automatically drop it down to the lowest gear for that given speed. Besides, P, R, N, D, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 would look ridiculous on the shifter not to mention I'm sure there wouldn't be enough space to even move the shifter that much distance.

Grumparoo

Post by Grumparoo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:41 pm

I'd be happy with just one more increment between D and L, ie D L1 L2 or whatever.
Greg in KC
===============
Present: 05 Ford Five Hundred SEL Blue/Pebble; 99 Isuzu Rodeo 4WD
===============
Past: 98 Dodge Stratus; 98 Ford Ranger 4.0 4WD; 94 Ford Ranger 4.0 2WD; 87 Mazda B2000; 77 Ford Courier; 74 VW Dasher

jscott

Re: Shifter selection

Post by jscott » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:51 pm

warment wrote:The "L" selection appears to be all but useless when not driving on snow. Does the car even shift out of third gear?
The L position is not for driving in snow; not sure what made you think that. The L position will put the transmission in the lowest possible gear for the current vehicle speed, and will give you what you are looking for. The only down side is that it won't up shift. When driving down hills, I would suggest first accelerating to the desired speed in D, then move the selector to L.

jscott

Post by jscott » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:53 pm

Domain wrote:I have the CVT, however, I too end up riding my brakes more than I would like at times. Especially up in the hills, I used to throw the Escape in second and was fine, now, the Five Hundred..yeeeaaaaahhhh.
Have you tried putting the selector in L? Not sure that it will provide as much engine braking as an Escape in 2nd, though.

Toaderly

Post by Toaderly » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:21 pm

I think it needs an "OH WOW!" position.

Domain

Post by Domain » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:13 pm

jscott wrote:
Domain wrote:I have the CVT, however, I too end up riding my brakes more than I would like at times. Especially up in the hills, I used to throw the Escape in second and was fine, now, the Five Hundred..yeeeaaaaahhhh.
Have you tried putting the selector in L? Not sure that it will provide as much engine braking as an Escape in 2nd, though.
Of course. Like I hoped to imply, L is okay, but I miss the Escape in that regard.

Jamers

Post by Jamers » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:53 pm

jscott wrote:Have you tried putting the selector in L? Not sure that it will provide as much engine braking as an Escape in 2nd, though.
Who are you people that try to slow your vehicle using your tranny? That's what brakes are for. And if you're worried about having to replace your pads a little earlier on account of having to use them, just remember a new transmission will cost you a whole lot more.

Domain

Post by Domain » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:57 pm

Jamers wrote:
jscott wrote:Have you tried putting the selector in L? Not sure that it will provide as much engine braking as an Escape in 2nd, though.
Who are you people that try to slow your vehicle using your tranny? That's what brakes are for. And if you're worried about having to replace your pads a little earlier on account of having to use them, just remember a new transmission will cost you a whole lot more.
So, I should leave it in drive and ride my brakes down a long hill, and over-heat them? I think I'll pass.

Jamers

Post by Jamers » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:00 pm

Domain wrote:So, I should leave it in drive and ride my brakes down a long hill, and over-heat them? I think I'll pass.
Do you live on Mt Everest? :-) I guess I may be a little ignorant on this topic since I live in Florida (no hills, aside from speed bumps).

Domain

Post by Domain » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:03 pm

I think I'll stick to low gear. Why would I listen to someone from a state where they have a hard time voting?

</cheap shot>

:D

gened1

what a minute!

Post by gened1 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:07 am

They didn't have such a hard time voting they just had a hard time counting!!
Redfire SEL AWD Shale leather, Moonroof,TC Billet grill etc.

JJ

Post by JJ » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:38 am

Jamers wrote:
You seem to be a proffessional driver. What do you think L is for?
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

Ned_C2

Post by Ned_C2 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:12 pm

Jamers wrote:
Of course there isn't a single hill in all of Florida that's high enough, long enough, or steep eough to make using the L setting on the transmission selector wothwhile.

BTW, the transmission isn't doing the braking when it is in low gear, it's the engine. And no, it won't lead to premature engine wear, and the reason not to rely on just brakes for speed conrol isn't to save pads and rotors from premature wear, it's to protect the brakes from overheating and and fading so that in the event of an emergency you'll still have the brakes when you need them.

JJ

Post by JJ » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:30 pm

Well said Ned_C2 :)

warment

Post by warment » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:04 pm

Call me an oddball, but I would simply like to option of not riding the brakes. I mean, we do have an electronic transmission...why would it be so difficult (or expensive) to add an "OD off" button or something?

Lets be honest here, the "L" selection does not work that well.

Bill

DeAd_KoBy

Post by DeAd_KoBy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:42 pm

My thought is that the L was originally intended for the CVT...... There's no real numbered gears for that.... I'm sure they just crossed it over to the geared trans.

Living in Ohio, we have some hills, but it's not really that rolling.

johnclineii

Post by johnclineii » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:33 am

DeAd_KoBy wrote:My thought is that the L was originally intended for the CVT...... There's no real numbered gears for that.... I'm sure they just crossed it over to the geared trans.

Living in Ohio, we have some hills, but it's not really that rolling.
Hmmm. The new Fusion's six speed also has only the L indicator, and there is no AWD for that vehicle until next year, and no CVT at this time (and may or may not have a CVT next year for the AWD...).

Also, been to Adams County? Scioto County? Lawrence County? Gallia County? That's pretty rolling...but most Buckeyes seem to forget that Southeastern Ohio even exists! :)