If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

new 500 owner - loves the brakes

modelhead

new 500 owner - loves the brakes

Post by modelhead » Mon May 12, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi gang I have been enjoying the forum so much that I bought a used 500. I love it so far. One of the things that threw me off was reading the reviews re the brakes on the car. When I purchased I made sure that they where looked at and brought up to speed. But I got a great bonus surprise that I have never seen mentioned here....the 500 CVR has a fantastic engine brake. Yes that's what the manual says. In fact it says that the low gear is really just for that purpose. So I started using it as it came natural because i have been driving a stick shift for years. It is a fantastic brake assist. When you pop it into the low position it gently takes over and starts to use the engine to slow you down. The pressure on the brake pedal is reduced to almost nothing and the combination makes the whole braking system the smoothest I have ever used. I have also found that around town (or I am loosing my mind) it seems to remember now....when I am approaching an intersection and I remove my foot from the gas it gently takes over again and assists without even slipping it into low gear.....am I imagining things or is the 500 learning how I drive??

andysinnh

Re: new 500 owner - loves the brakes

Post by andysinnh » Mon May 12, 2008 3:01 pm

Wellll - I'm not sure that using the CVT to do engine braking on a regular basis is good for the CVT - and if something were to wear out prematurely, it's certainly going to be cheaper to replace the brake pads than the transmission itself. I think the point that the manual is making is that down a long incline, that using the "L" position does help keep the car in better control, and it's about the only position besides "D" that you get with the CVT - so thus a single benefit. But for everyday driving, I certainly wouldn't be risking the longevity of the CVT. I know that with a normal auto tranny that forcing downshifts is a sure way to start reducing the lifetime of the transmission...

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

deletedaccount

Post by deletedaccount » Mon May 12, 2008 5:36 pm

If you keep it in "D" the CVT still uses it's engine brake and does so more effectively, efficiently, hardly without you noticing it at all and without tearing up the tranny. :?

If any transmission is made to shift manually, that is what it would be, a manual shift transmission. That is why there are "Automatics? and CVT's to do the necessary shifting for you by electronically doing it.

IMO....if you keep shifting your CVT down to low, to help in your cars braking, your wallet shall soon be emptied of over $7,000! :shock:

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Thu May 15, 2008 10:44 pm

Does the CVT -- in D -- only assist the slowdown when the brakes are applied? Or any time the car is coasting? (Hmmm . . . seems obvious, but I'll submit it anyway since I might learn something.)

modelhead

Post by modelhead » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:53 pm

I do agree that pounding this thing into low all the time would probably break it eventually. I do not use the low to break on the highway. It seems to do that on its own at higher speeds but in town anywhere from about 45 mph down I use the low for a brake. It does not react the way an automatic would if you shift it into low, instead it hesitates slightly and then very smoothly responds. You should give it a try.

Zeke....it slows with or without brakes on.....cheers

modelhead

Post by modelhead » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:29 pm

So here it is now a few years later and I am still driving the 500. I have been using the engine brake all along but as has been said, in town mostly. I do use it when necessary anywhere from 80k down. I now have 130k on the car and I am still on the second set of pads. They are good til spring. The CVT is tough as nails and never misses a beat. There is no jerking or hesitating it is a joy to ride in it

On the car itself. Flawless...yes that's what I said. I have serviced the car regularly, paid attention to the computer and changed the oil without fail every 5k. I have had not a single part fail asside from a bulb. I am still on my second set of perellis. They won't last another winter but will get me to next Sept without any trouble. The car is still as smooth as glass on the road at 110k. The engine is stronger than ever.

I must say this is the best value in a car that I have ever had. The volvo underpinings are a real bonus and much higher quality than I would expect in a 35k car.

Ford has a history of launching 500s from time to time and the Ford company and its employees pay special attention to the detail during these special issues. I'm going to keep this car as I expect it will gain a strong gathering of collectors in years to come.

Cheers..and thanks Ford!

modelhead

Post by modelhead » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:27 pm

And here I am again. Not sure that anyone will read this but if so it is good news.
The 500 has just rolled over 200k and is running like the day I first got into it.
In my opinion if you can purchase one of these 500's, 2005 version, you are getting a huge amount of car for the money.
I could go on forever about it but to summarize, It is the CVT that makes this car a winner. For two important reasons.....traditional transmissions allow a lot of stress to be placed on the engine. The CVT eliminates the stressful engaging and disengaging of the clutch.
So there has been no work needed on this car other than regular oil and rubber. I have had the brakes spun once and a set of pads only once. The engine brake has continued to work flawlessly and is a part of my driving routine.

The car responds in everyway like the first day I drove it. It is smooth, quiet and responds to steering braking and acceleration in real time with out hesitation or lag of anykind.

This car is still quiet and comfortable on long trips.

The only negative thing I will say is I know this car is mainly Volvo.....so, when I buy my next car I won't know which brand to buy.

But at the rate this 2005 500 is not deteriorating.........are you kidding, I will never need another car.

Thanks Ford!! The 500 was a brilliant car and as a result has been moved deeply into your car and crossover inventory in other forms. This makes it a significant car in your history. I really do miss the plain old 500. I hope it soon comes back.

Domain

Post by Domain » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:15 pm

I'm glad to hear this. I still lament selling mine, save for the fact it was cursed!
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:56 pm

I'm still driving the 2007 Mercury Montego with CVT and AWD. I guess the problems have been minor overall. There was a problem with some component of the AWD system which meant replacement of something in the rear axle. That was about 18 months ago so I don't remember the details. The original wheels corroded so I bought a set of Ford wheels from a guy on here. Wiring for the driver's side seat heater has broken for the second time. This is probably due to frequent movement of the memory seat, which has different settings for the wife and me.

BTW -- This car has survived two teen daughters. The first one is through college and on her own now. The second one is a junior in college so she is not around to drive it much.

At 115,000 miles now.