If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Green button under gas pedal

Discuss anything else about the car
TCltd500
Regular Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Dallas, NC

Green button under gas pedal

Post by TCltd500 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:14 pm

Hello Everyone,

I was taking a close look under the front foot areas of my Five Hundred and investigating how the pedals were set up when I noticed this. It seems like there is a button stop under the gas pedal. Has anyone taken a look at this before? I don't remember seeing it mentioned in a previous post. Does anyone know what the button is for?

I wonder if this button has to be pressed by the gas pedal to achieve wide open throttle. I also thought it may be used to when the car is flooded and needs to have the gas pedal held down when cranking to start the flooded engine. I thought of a test- devise a way to press the button behind the gas pedal without pressing the pedal itself. Maybey someone could use their other foot to do so, mine are too big to fit back there.

Believe me, I'd love to get out on the highway and test my theories all day, but I don't feel my car is quite broken in enough yet to do it. I've only floored the car a few times in necessity, and in those situations haven't thought about the button at all.

Any ideas? I bet someone Knows.
Last edited by TCltd500 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'05 Limited AWD, saftey pack, adj pedals, speaker upgrades, Billet grill, WeatherTec floorliners, 40% window tint, 85k.


User avatar
JW
Regular Member
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: DC

Post by JW » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:18 pm

DON'T EVER PRESS THE GREEN BUTTON! :shock: :wink:

TCltd500
Regular Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Dallas, NC

Post by TCltd500 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:19 pm

was that a generalization or are you talking about what i'm talking about?
'05 Limited AWD, saftey pack, adj pedals, speaker upgrades, Billet grill, WeatherTec floorliners, 40% window tint, 85k.

Matt
Regular Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:23 pm
Location: Huntingdon Valley, PA

Post by Matt » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:21 pm

Awww Come on TC Press that green button and tell us what happens

User avatar
JW
Regular Member
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:03 pm
Location: DC

Post by JW » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:29 pm

Don't you know you're never supposed to press unmarked buttons? It always turns out bad in every cartoon and movie I've seen where they do that.

Qhoth the Daffy: "For a nominal fee, I'll install this blue button that will get you down."

TCltd500
Regular Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Dallas, NC

Post by TCltd500 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:32 pm

oh, ok. I'm glad that was just for general purposes, like I thought.
I haven't seen anything about it in the manual either.

Matt- all I know is when you press a button, it goes down. Perhaps i'll be more tempted to play with This button a few more miles down the road.
'05 Limited AWD, saftey pack, adj pedals, speaker upgrades, Billet grill, WeatherTec floorliners, 40% window tint, 85k.

User avatar
angel500
Regular Member
Posts: 4606
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Lost, Dazed & Confused
Contact:

Post by angel500 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:33 pm

I have to admit I haven't seen the button as of yet. But my new floor mats just came in a few minutes ago. I'll be going out a bit later and will have to see if I got one of them blue buttons too.

It was a busy day with a certified USPS envelope, DHL with new papers from the dealership to sign, FedEx with floormats and UPS with something for the Man person. Sure made trying to sleep this morning difficult between all that and the phones ringing off the hook.

angel

TCltd500
Regular Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Dallas, NC

Post by TCltd500 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:37 pm

Angel- Hopefully your button will be green. If not, a silly duck may have installed it.
'05 Limited AWD, saftey pack, adj pedals, speaker upgrades, Billet grill, WeatherTec floorliners, 40% window tint, 85k.

User avatar
angel500
Regular Member
Posts: 4606
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Lost, Dazed & Confused
Contact:

Post by angel500 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:39 pm

It's my blonditis kicking in again. Though I like the color blue much better than the color green. Maybe it was just wishful thinking?

angel

sam d
Regular Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:55 am

Green Button

Post by sam d » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:09 pm

:wink: The green button is for the ejection seat. Be sure the moon roof is open before depressing.
Sam

User avatar
sskocz
Regular Member
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:03 am
Location: Gilroy, California

Re: Green button under gas pedal

Post by sskocz » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:17 pm

TCltd500 wrote:Hello Everyone,

I was taking a close look under the front foot areas of my Five Hundred and investigating how the pedals were set up when I noticed this. It seems like there is a button stop under the gas pedal. Has anyone taken a look at this before? I don't remember seeing it mentioned in a previous post. Does anyone know what the button is for?

I wonder if this button has to be pressed by the gas pedal to achieve wide open throttle. I also thought it may be used to when the car is flooded and needs to have the gas pedal held down when cranking to start the flooded engine. I thought of a test- devise a way to press the button behind the gas pedal without pressing the pedal itself. Maybey someone could use their other foot to do so, mine are too big to fit back there.

Believe me, I'd love to get out on the highway and test my theories all day, but I don't feel my car is quite broken in enough yet to do it. I've only floored the car a few times in necessity, and in those situations haven't thought about the button at all.

Any ideas? I bet someone Knows.
Do you realize that everyone will have their ears against the floor mats tonight looking for a button?
By the way, my fourteen year old says there is a green sticker and a bar code :? , I haven't put my head down there yet. :lol:

P.S. She came in holding her head and saying that the steering wheel is hard. I think I will take her word for that.
Merlot Limited w/Pebble Interior / FWD 6-Speed Trans / Safety Package / Adj Pedals
June C.O.T.M.
Previous cars:
2003 Monte Carlo SS; 2001 Camery; 1996 Thunderbird; 1993 Escort Wagon; 1983 Nissan Sentra; 1979 Chevy Luv;
1974 Camero; 1968 Ford Cortina

TCltd500
Regular Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Dallas, NC

Post by TCltd500 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:52 pm

Perhaps I should think about the consequences of posting questions. But wait, thats why I'm here; to exchange expierences, help and tips ect... Sorry to hear your daughter suffered a blow to the head, I'm not liable am I?

A "button" is just what I'm calling it now, as I don't know the proper terminology. This is more than a sticker, it can be pushed in a bit.

I'm just wondering if theres a difference in having the pedal to the floor, and having the pedal to the floor pressing the "button", which takes a little more effort.

We'll figure it out.
'05 Limited AWD, saftey pack, adj pedals, speaker upgrades, Billet grill, WeatherTec floorliners, 40% window tint, 85k.

User avatar
angel500
Regular Member
Posts: 4606
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Lost, Dazed & Confused
Contact:

Post by angel500 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:24 pm

I pulled up my floor mats and looked under the gas pedal and didn't find a green {or blue} button. Though after reading more it seems as though I need to get further down there with my ear on the floor and look up behind the pedal? I'm not sure what the point is in my finding it if I don't even know what it's for. And if it IS located there then how can one push it while driving?

angel

johnclineii
Regular Member
Posts: 8378
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:25 am
Location: West Virginia

Post by johnclineii » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:26 pm

With one's foot? Especially if it is under the gas pedal.

OTOH, if this were 1 April...I would think someone is playing a neat joke on us...let's see how many of those guys and gals we can get to lay on their ear in the floorboard of their cars under the steering wheel....

User avatar
angel500
Regular Member
Posts: 4606
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:49 pm
Location: Lost, Dazed & Confused
Contact:

Post by angel500 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:31 pm

Well if/when I find it guess I'll figure out if I could press it with one foot while depressing the gas pedal with the other foot?

angel

johnclineii
Regular Member
Posts: 8378
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:25 am
Location: West Virginia

Post by johnclineii » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:32 pm

Only if we can call you Little Feet!

User avatar
sskocz
Regular Member
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:03 am
Location: Gilroy, California

Post by sskocz » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:48 pm

angel500 wrote:I pulled up my floor mats and looked under the gas pedal and didn't find a green {or blue} button. Though after reading more it seems as though I need to get further down there with my ear on the floor and look up behind the pedal? I'm not sure what the point is in my finding it if I don't even know what it's for. And if it IS located there then how can one push it while driving?

angel
I told you people would go out and look. I haven't yet, Mr sskocz and daughter looked, I will wait until I'm home along and won't get caught with my head on the floorboard. :P
Merlot Limited w/Pebble Interior / FWD 6-Speed Trans / Safety Package / Adj Pedals
June C.O.T.M.
Previous cars:
2003 Monte Carlo SS; 2001 Camery; 1996 Thunderbird; 1993 Escort Wagon; 1983 Nissan Sentra; 1979 Chevy Luv;
1974 Camero; 1968 Ford Cortina

johnclineii
Regular Member
Posts: 8378
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:25 am
Location: West Virginia

Post by johnclineii » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:50 pm

sskocz wrote: I told you people would go out and look. I haven't yet, Mr sskocz and daughter looked, I will wait until I'm home along and won't get caught with my head on the floorboard. :P
I thought a chivalrous husband would do that for you! :)

User avatar
sskocz
Regular Member
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:03 am
Location: Gilroy, California

Post by sskocz » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:53 pm

johnclineii wrote:
sskocz wrote: I told you people would go out and look. I haven't yet, Mr sskocz and daughter looked, I will wait until I'm home along and won't get caught with my head on the floorboard. :P
I thought a chivalrous husband would do that for you! :)
He does have his moments. :D
Merlot Limited w/Pebble Interior / FWD 6-Speed Trans / Safety Package / Adj Pedals
June C.O.T.M.
Previous cars:
2003 Monte Carlo SS; 2001 Camery; 1996 Thunderbird; 1993 Escort Wagon; 1983 Nissan Sentra; 1979 Chevy Luv;
1974 Camero; 1968 Ford Cortina

TCltd500
Regular Member
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Dallas, NC

green button

Post by TCltd500 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:37 am

Wow. Now I really feel a need to clear things up a bit.

The button is not meant to be pushed by the other foot. That's just how I thought of testing it. The button is meant to be pressed by the gas pedal itself. The button is under/behind the pedal directly, so if you press the gas pedal all the way down, the button gets pressed by the pedal.

Sorry if this all turns out a hoax (it's not going to), I'm really not trying to play a game. I'm still serious about finding out the real answer as to why it's there.
'05 Limited AWD, saftey pack, adj pedals, speaker upgrades, Billet grill, WeatherTec floorliners, 40% window tint, 85k.

Post Reply