If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Intake manifold removal for spark plugs - need gaskets?

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
Edsel II

Intake manifold removal for spark plugs - need gaskets?

Post by Edsel II » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi all,

Chasing down an oil leak with the oil pan on my '05 500, I noticed that the valve cover gaskets are leaking a bit as well.

I'll be at 90k soon, so I'm thinking of changing the spark plugs when I hit 90k, and while I've got the intake manifold off, changing the valve cover gaskets.

Question for those of you who have changed spark plugs - what gaskets will I need to seal up the intake when I put it back together?

warment

Re: Intake manifold removal for spark plugs - need gaskets?

Post by warment » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:38 pm

No gaskets needed. The upper intake has a recessed groove in it where the stock gasket sits. The gasket will stay in the groove and will not need to be replaced. Funny you should mention this...I am planning to replace spark plugs tomorrow...
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks for the reply! If you hit any snags that I should know about pulling your manifold for your plug change, please let me know, and good luck!

warment

Post by warment » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:59 am

I changed mine once before. No issues that I can remember. I wish the back three were as easy as the front three...lol...
6-spd auto

warment

Post by warment » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 pm

After I get finished today, I will respond again with fresh thoughts on the process...
6-spd auto

warment

Post by warment » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Here is a good url... http://www.justanswer.com/ford/2msde-ch ... d-500.html

Remember to take off the 8 8mm bolts and 4 torx screws...and disconnecting all the other numerous connections. I also used a 27 mm wrench to disconnect the egr line from below it. Also, remove the 4 bolts on the rear crossmember that connects to the roll resistor mount...and the bolt that goes through the roll resistor bushing. The upper intake also has 2 vac lines in the rear...I left these connected and then lifted and moved the intake forward and sat it on the top of the motor. Remember too that there is coolant in the lines that connect to the throttle body...use a small cup to catch 10 ounces or so.
6-spd auto

warment

Post by warment » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:19 am

Edsel, Did you ever get your plugs installed? I finished mine. Car seems to be running a little better. The gaps on the old plugs didn't look too bad. The old plugs were in there pretty tight. I always use a little anti seize on the plug threads, but they were in there pretty tight.
6-spd auto

Steve H.

Post by Steve H. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:00 pm

I always change my PCV valve when doing the plugs due it being hard to get to with the intake on.

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:46 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I haven't changed my plugs yet. Have the plugs on the way, along with a set of valve cover gaskets. Also, my silicone glue patch job on the oil pan isn't holding, so I'll be changing that gasket as well. Ugh.

warment

Post by warment » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:36 am

Also, I would recommend cleaning the throttle body while you are in there...
6-spd auto

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:28 pm

Yeah.. cleaning the throttle body is on my "every 30k" list, along with trans fluid, coolant, steering fluid and fuel filter.

Looking at the oil pan gasket, looks like the pre-cat exhaust pipe that runs under the pan looks fairly easy to remove, giving full access to the pan. Hope that with the valve cover and pan gaskets I can get this thing to stop leaking.

warment

Post by warment » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:48 pm

I never changed my oil pan gasket or valve cover gaskets yet. They dont appear to be leaking. I do have a leak at my compressor, but I am not going to mess with that until my ac stops working.
6-spd auto

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:50 pm

I wouldn't wait until your a/c stops working - if your compressor oil runs dry, when it stops working there's a good chance that it will send debris through your entire a/c system, which will cost a lot more than replacing the compressor and the receiver/drier. When my a/c leak got really bad, I pulled the fuse for the compressor so that it wouldn't come on until I could change it out.

warment

Post by warment » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Dumb question...where is the best location to disconnect the ac lines at? If I do it, I will remove and install myself, but I would take it someplace for a proper charge.
6-spd auto

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 am

A word of warning... I had the same thought. Bought a compressor and a receiver/dryer. Once I did more digging, I realized that removing the compressor is a huge chore. I ended up finding a shop through a friend that did the install and charge for $500. Originally they quoted me $300 until he took a look under the car. Then it became $500. They ended up dropping the engine cradle a few inches to get clearance to remove the compressor.

bernmerq

Post by bernmerq » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:56 pm

Make sure you,re oil pan has'nt gone pourius ,clean of the rtv ,maybe try permatex "great stuff " ???