If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Left driver a/c blowing cold, Right passenger not as cold

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
jschaffer

Left driver a/c blowing cold, Right passenger not as cold

Post by jschaffer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Hello

I have a 2006 Five Hundred SEL. The driver side vents on my car blow normal cold a/c air. The right side passenger at the coldest setting blows slightly warmer air, but still cool. It's just odd cuz when I checked with my calibrated thermometer there was about a 10 to 15 degree difference between the left and right. What could be causing this?

Everything else I searched on this board talked about this car blowing warm at idle and that the fix is to replace the RCV. That doesn't seem to be my issue and was hoping someone could help me figure this out?

Thanks in advance.

dmcoop

Re: Left driver a/c blowing cold, Right passenger not as col

Post by dmcoop » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:54 pm

I have the same exact problem and have been searching for an answer for years now. So far no luck. Hoping someone knows the answer.

kb9skw

Post by kb9skw » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:54 pm

I would assume that you have have turned the temp all they way down on both sides as you have independent two side control? I wonder if my car suffers from this, when it gets warm out I guess I will find out.
2006 Five Hundred SEL, Black Exterior, Gray Leather. 6-Disk MP3, Moonroof. 3.0L V6

2008 Ford F150 XTL 4x4 SuperCab, Dark Peril Blue/Silver Two Tone, Flint Cloth. 5.4L FFV V8.

jschaffer

Post by jschaffer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:03 pm

Yes, both sides are set to the coldest temperature when I'm experiencing this. I really wish someone knew what the problem was...

warment

Post by warment » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:25 am

It's caused from a bad "blend door actuator." I have seen a lot of posts about this recently. There is one on the left side and one on the right side. You can access the right side actuator by lowering the glovebox door all the way down (you have to pinch the sides inward to do this). The actuator is a black box. Do a search for "warment" on this website and you will see some of my related posts.

I need to replace the right actuator on my 2005. Mine just clicks/pops right now...it hasn't completely broken yet. O'reilly auto parts sells new ones for like $30.
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

jschaffer

Post by jschaffer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:19 am

warment wrote:It's caused from a bad "blend door actuator." I have seen a lot of posts about this recently. There is one on the left side and one on the right side. You can access the right side actuator by lowering the glovebox door all the way down (you have to pinch the sides inward to do this). The actuator is a black box. Do a search for "warment" on this website and you will see some of my related posts.

I need to replace the right actuator on my 2005. Mine just clicks/pops right now...it hasn't completely broken yet. O'reilly auto parts sells new ones for like $30.
Thank you very much sir! You are a lifesaver.

warment

Post by warment » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:21 am

No problem. Glad I could help.
6-spd auto

jschaffer

Post by jschaffer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:01 am

warment wrote:No problem. Glad I could help.
I noticed in a couple of places you mentioned that you don't have an Orielly near you to be able to order. Do you still need this part?

If so, and if you want, PM me your info and I can ship another to you.

warment

Post by warment » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks for the offer man. I think I am just gonna stop at one in Richmond next time I have to take a work trip to Huntsville and fly out of RIC. Let me know how replacement goes if you get to yours before I do. Not sure what settings to turn the HVAC to prior to removal and installation. You might want to try to find this out beforehand. It may help. Supposedly, you can pull a fuse (fuse 15?) and allow for "recalibration" of the actuators after installation.
6-spd auto

jschaffer

Post by jschaffer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:31 pm

So my local Orielly's didn't have it in stock, so I ordered from Rock Auto...however now I'm a little spooked. When I look at the ford motorcraft site it lists the part as a pigtail wiring harness...

Is this no longer the proper motorcraft part number??? http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartD ... earch=true

warment

Post by warment » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:47 am

I noticed that too (the part number is the same for both a wiring harness and the blend door actuator). Not sure if the part number was superceded by another part number of not. The only one I saw on RA was the wiring harness you mentioned.
6-spd auto

jschaffer

Post by jschaffer » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:22 pm

So, I replaced the right side blend door motor, and it helped it get a little cooler, but not by much. I am not really sure if it's installed right or not since I just put it on however it fit and bolted it back in.

However I've noticed a new symptom I've never tried. If I raise the left side temp. control to any warmer temperature, around 80 and higher and the right side to 60, it'll actually blow as cold as 47 degrees nice and COLD! If I make the left side go to 60 and the right side to 60 I can't get the right temperature to reach anything close to 60.

Could this be a driver blend door motor issue as well? Or perhaps I have an actual bad blend DOOR and not the motor?

warment

Post by warment » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:56 am

Not sure. Sounds quite possible that the door/linkage is broken. Did you take out "SJB fuse 15" and let the new door recalibrate? Check out the link below that mentioned this:
http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2008- ... d-actuator

Try this and see if it does anything.
6-spd auto

Bruceman

Post by Bruceman » Wed May 11, 2011 9:44 am

I had the same issue on my Jeep, it was low on freon. Added freon and it was fixed.

I would check that first...
2006 Five Hundred Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2003 Honda VT750 Shadow

jschaffer

Post by jschaffer » Wed May 11, 2011 9:53 am

Yeah so the previous blend door was bad it just turned out that I needed to add freon too. All is well now. :-)

Deengu

Re: Left driver a/c blowing cold, Right passenger not as cold

Post by Deengu » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:11 am

I added more freon and it solved the issue. I didn't have the idle problem where warm air would blow out only when the engine is at idle. My issue was warm air continuously through the right and rear vents while cool air through the drivers left side vent regardless of the car speed. I think the ac somehow prioritizes the drivers side first before directing freon to the other sides.

My blend door was not the problem because I removed it and saw that the motor was still working.

I would add that my ford 599 has dual side temp controls. This may be an issue restricted to such models? Not sure.

I bought a manifold gauge set from harbor freight for $50 and it was very good quality. Plus a can tap from advance auto parts to keep unused cans and the actual r134a can from Walmart for $7.

When I initially measured the pressure (make sure your compressor is active), it was 20psi low side and 150 psi high side. I added for about 15 minutes and it ended up at almost 45 psi low side and 230 psi high side. Both sides cooled about 15 minutes later.

The low side port is fairly hard to reach at the rear left of the engine compartment hidden deep inside. Definitely a bit scary for a novice like me to reach in almost blind while the engine is running to turn the taps on and off.

I forgot to weigh the can before, but I estimated that I used 2/3 of the can, meaning there is a big leak that would be very expensive to fix. Perhaps I can just do this once a summer. Hope this helps someone!

Nick254
Vehicle: 2006 ford 500

Re: Left driver a/c blowing cold, Right passenger not as cold

Post by Nick254 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:05 pm

Hi

Re 2006 Taurus/ford 500 dual ac sys

Left ac cold / Right side ac not blowing cold. (Ck / ADD FREON)

This sounds nuts but it works.

Nick
-------