If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Engine mount shot

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
warment

Re: Engine mount shot

Post by warment » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:51 pm

2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

ddderek

Post by ddderek » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes, warment, I'm going to buy one of those Volvo Bushings tonight to try it in mine... Mine is all cracked and looking on the verge of disinigration. One auto parts store wanted $44 and the Volvo dealer wants $24... Over $12 on Ebay with shipping, so the word must be out that Ford owners are in need of these so let's jack up the prices! LOL
Owner of:
2005 Ford 500 SEL (totaled at 98k) :(
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2008 Taurus Limited
2009 Taurus SEL (daughter bought and moved to California)

ddderek

Post by ddderek » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 pm

ddderek wrote:
Yes, warment, I'm going to buy one of those Volvo Bushings tonight to try it in mine... Mine is all cracked and looking on the verge of disinigration. One auto parts store wanted $44 and the Volvo dealer wants $24... Over $12 on Ebay with shipping, so the word must be out that Ford owners are in need of these so let's jack up the prices! LOL
Ebay link for $12 if anyone is interested...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLVO-850-S70-C ... 61&vxp=mtr
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:37 pm

Not sure what they go for now, but there was a website called fcpgroton.com , I got the Volvo bushings for around eight bucks a piece. I bought a few extras in case I need more. Mine has held for about 30k miles so far.

ddderek

Post by ddderek » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 pm

Edsel II wrote:Not sure what they go for now, but there was a website called fcpgroton.com , I got the Volvo bushings for around eight bucks a piece. I bought a few extras in case I need more. Mine has held for about 30k miles so far.
yeah they have them for 7.47 plus shipping of 4.99 or free shipping for orders over $25
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited

warment

Post by warment » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:34 pm

I ordered mine from fcpgroton too. I have a spare for later if needed.
6-spd auto

ddderek

Post by ddderek » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Hey Edsel or Warment... you guys seem to be pretty up on this stuff... I ordered the Volvo Roll Resistor Bushing online (actually 2) and when I got them I was a bit surprised. The ones I got are a type of hard plastic, not rubber as I thought it would be, and have just a round hole. Looking at the existing part, cracking but not totally tore out yet, it is not only soft rubber but has an oblong hole to allow movement and then the rubber absorbs even more shock. Did I get the wrong part or are you guys replacing these with these parts limiting movement?

Another question is the slots on the side that you guys have slipped hose clamps through to hold it in place, mine are not all the way open? It is an indent and goes in there but is not a pass through and I would have to knock a screwdriver through there to open it up?

While the original part is made to fail? This new one seems like it would transfer the motors vibration to other areas and not absorb it like the original part is designed.

PLEASE let me know if what I received is significantly different from yours, I only have two weeks to return it!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited

warment

Post by warment » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:58 pm

You got the right part. I didnt use a clamp on mine to hold in place. I installed mine and the drilled and installed screws around the perimeter of the metal mount. Worked great after I installed screws. Before that, the new bushing shifted left to right and rattled inside the "U" that the bolt goes through. Make sure you hacksaw off the "ears" of the new puck as well.
6-spd auto

warment

Post by warment » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm

And I forgot...my opinion is that the rubber of the oem piece is just too soft. I think the engine heat doesnt help, but they just basically fall apart after a few years.
6-spd auto

05-Montego

Post by 05-Montego » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 pm

I got mine for $15 at NAPA a few months ago. They may have raised the price by now though.
2005 Mercury Montego Premier

mamuco

Post by mamuco » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:27 am

warment wrote:You got the right part. I didnt use a clamp on mine to hold in place. I installed mine and the drilled and installed screws around the perimeter of the metal mount. Worked great after I installed screws. Before that, the new bushing shifted left to right and rattled inside the "U" that the bolt goes through. Make sure you hacksaw off the "ears" of the new puck as well.
I just ordered the part from
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/p ... ory_id/109

The part has a metal outside casing and not just the rubber as seen in the pictures on this post. On my part it says 9434263HD, the part is from Meyle.
Is this the correct part or to I need to get another one just rubber with only the center part metal?

Found this part without that metal casing on the outside
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-e ... 70-v70-c70

Thanks for helping out.

ddderek

Post by ddderek » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 pm

mamuco wrote:
warment wrote:You got the right part. I didnt use a clamp on mine to hold in place. I installed mine and the drilled and installed screws around the perimeter of the metal mount. Worked great after I installed screws. Before that, the new bushing shifted left to right and rattled inside the "U" that the bolt goes through. Make sure you hacksaw off the "ears" of the new puck as well.

The part has a metal outside casing and not just the rubber as seen in the pictures on this post. On my part it says 9434263HD, the part is from Meyle.
Is this the correct part or to I need to get another one just rubber with only the center part metal?

Thanks for helping out.
Personally I wouldn't use one with the metal on the outside... You are putting it inside a metal ring already on the mount so metal to metal would not be the best for reducing vibration. The second picture looks closer to what I bought, it is a real hard plastic like rubber on the outside with a softer rubber inside and then the metal center.
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited

05-Montego

Post by 05-Montego » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:53 pm

ddderek wrote:
mamuco wrote:

Thanks for helping out.
Personally I wouldn't use one with the metal on the outside... You are putting it inside a metal ring already on the mount so metal to metal would not be the best for reducing vibration. The second picture looks closer to what I bought, it is a real hard plastic like rubber on the outside with a softer rubber inside and then the metal center.
Yeah, I wouldn't use the one with metal on the outside either. I had to use a little force to get the Volvo bushing to fit where the OEM bushing was after cutting the rubber from the OEM bushing out. Since mine has plastic on the outside it was able to flex a little bit and pop right in. A bushing with metal on the outside probably won't flex much at all so it'll be a lot harder to make it fit.
2005 Mercury Montego Premier

mamuco

Post by mamuco » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks for all the tips and advice. The part with the outer hard plastic part got delivered. I cut off the extra metal parts with a Dremel cutter wheel , no problems. Installed the part by pushing it in with a quick grip clamp and some flat metal pieces. After a bit of wiggling it went in fine. Centered the new bushing in the existing space and re-attached the control arm. Made sure the arrow is up and the off center position for the bolt goes toward the firewall. Control arms is not touching the bushing, maybe 1/8 space on each side.
The bushing went from round to adjust to the new shape a bit oval to fit in the space with the 2 nubs, would not have been possible to install a bushing with metal outside casing.
Part was about $ 15 or so.
Volvo Torque Rod Bushing (850 S70 V70 C70) Lemforder (OEM) 9434263L

ddderek

Post by ddderek » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:44 pm

mamuco wrote:Thanks for all the tips and advice. The part with the outer hard plastic part got delivered. I cut off the extra metal parts with a Dremel cutter wheel , no problems. Installed the part by pushing it in with a quick grip clamp and some flat metal pieces. After a bit of wiggling it went in fine. Centered the new bushing in the existing space and re-attached the control arm. Made sure the arrow is up and the off center position for the bolt goes toward the firewall. Control arms is not touching the bushing, maybe 1/8 space on each side.
The bushing went from round to adjust to the new shape a bit oval to fit in the space with the 2 nubs, would not have been possible to install a bushing with metal outside casing.
Part was about $ 15 or so.
Volvo Torque Rod Bushing (850 S70 V70 C70) Lemforder (OEM) 9434263L
One more thing you may want to do is secure the new bushing. Some folks reported on here that the bushing shifted when the car was driven and then started making noise. Some used hose clamps to clamp it in place but I used Warmants suggestion of drilling and tapping a small bolt that goes through the outer piece and into the hard plastic piece to secure it. I did this in two locations at about 10 and 2 o'clock...
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited

warment

Post by warment » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:37 am

Mine hasnt shifted at all since i put the screws in it. Going on 183k miles now...
6-spd auto

mamuco

Post by mamuco » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:22 pm

warment wrote:Mine hasnt shifted at all since i put the screws in it. Going on 183k miles now...
Mine hasn't shifted either since I put it in about 2 weeks ago, I drive about 60 miles each day. I didn't not install a screw or clamp, so I will check every once in a while. (98500 miles total so far on the car)

However about 1 week after installing the mount fix, the car makes a clunking sounds when shifting from P to R. Not sure if that is related to the now somewhat inflexible upper motor mount (as compared to the original Ford part with some give) or a new unrelated problem.

Anyone has experienced that problem after installing the fix?

I did read in some other treads on her about the clunking noise when shifting, maybe its more transmission related.

500effler

Post by 500effler » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:54 am

Just noticed that mine is busted too. Check partsgeek.com they have this mount for $55. Might be a lot less trouble.

zakoh85

Post by zakoh85 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:46 am

I hate dealing with motor mounts, but that's the way of life. I am a solid believer that pretty much all aftermarket motor mounts are junk (will go bad in a year or two, others are so sloppy will not even fit!). On the other hand, the motorcraft motor mounts are overpriced. A set of three Motrocraft motor mounts can cost about $500 (check the dealer), but they work better. Fortunately, our 500 wore out its factory motor mounts pretty early, and they were replaced under extended warranty at the dealer.

ddderek

Post by ddderek » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:53 pm

zak, this isn't really a motor mount in the traditional sense, this is a torque bushing on the top side of the engine... an inferior design that changed on the new taurus models... Fords part has you buy a long metal piece that holds the rubber bushing as well for about 300, but someone discovered that you could use this Volvo bushing and just cut out the remains of the ripped Ford bushing and shove the Volvo bushing in there after some minor modifications and it is much more substantial and only costs about $15! Read the first couple of pages of this thread for better details....
Owner of:
2008 Taurus Limited