If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Engine mount shot

Discuss anything related to the engine, electronics, transmission, etc.
warment

Re: Engine mount shot

Post by warment » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:03 pm

Wonder if you could drill a few holes around the outside metal "ring" and shoot a few short screws down though the bushing itself to keep it in place? I thought about doing this myself if my replacement bushing ever shifted. Mine hasn't yet, so I didn't touch it.
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi all,

I had the same problem. The Volvo bushing is wider than the Ford part you are replacing. Therefore, it only needs to slide over a slight amount to touch the mounting "fork" for the bushing. When it touches, it transmits a bunch of engine noise and vibration directly into the car.

Since there's a vertical open slot on either side of the rubber bushing material, I ended up putting a radiator hose clamp through the bushing and around the mount, and cranking it down so it can't shift from side to side. Hasn't moved yet, and has stayed quiet.

greywolf16

Post by greywolf16 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:30 pm

Just got a used 2006 Ford Five Hundred AWD CVT SEL and it had a bad motor mount.

martinm76

Post by martinm76 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Worked very well for me, highly recommended for a cheap fix. Mine had deteriorated so bad that once i moved everything out of the way the center part fell out. I was able to get the new one in there with a little bit of difficulty but that was good because the left over rubber holds the new bushing tight. This post was a lifesaver for me!

warment

Post by warment » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:56 am

I installed a couple of screws around the perimeter of the metal around the bushing. Mine started moving out of place. This seemed to fix my from moving and eventually from making noises.
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

ScrillaNation

Post by ScrillaNation » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm

@ kchamp

Shop around I had this replaced around 45,000 and even thought I had a warranty without it would have been only $150-$175. Find another dealership in the area because since they are privately owned they can charge there own prices. For example the dealer across town tried to charge me $125 to clean my throttle control while the place I normally go to said $75. Just shop around thats your best option because that is a pain in the a$# part.

tauri

Post by tauri » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:06 pm

i met a nice women in mickey d parking lot and got talking ford500/ montego ,and she said at 125k she never had top engine mount replaced {her son is a certified ford mech and does all of her work} i have one put in every 3rd oil change :roll: she said i just got a lemon. so, has anyone gone 125k in a 06 without a new top mount?

woodsman

Post by woodsman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:07 pm

I am at 70 k and no replacement

frank t

Post by frank t » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:04 pm

Problem is I do not/cannot get a wrench up under the crossbar to loosen nut. Not much clearance under there. Anyone with a suggestion??[/quote]

Just remove the whole crossbar. It's held in place by 4 bolts 2 on each side at the ends.takes @ 10 minutes!!
You'll NEVER get that center bolt undone!!

2006Black500

Post by 2006Black500 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:27 pm

My 2006 Limited went into a local Ford dealership here in the Portland, Oregon area for its 45K service. One thing I reminded the service manager was that I wanted them to inspect the upper motor mount. I noticed that the center rubber part had cracks in it when we bought the car last summer with 39K miles on it. I had looked at it a couple of other times but not before my wife took the car in for its service. During a phone conversation with the manager he told me that his service tech had checked the upper motor mount and everything was A-ok. Over my weekend I looked under the hood and saw that the center rubber piece had cracked all the way through in two places and was creating some granular rubber debris due to the rubbing (rubber to rubber). I called the service manager and explained what I saw and that this part should have been replaced when the other warranty work had been performed. He told me that the upper motor mount would only be replaced if it was rubbing metal to metal. I told him I would be right over for him to look at it and see it for himself. After I got to the dealership and we opened the hood I grabbed the bar that comes from the center of the strut tower brace and explained that the fork end can now slap the mount with side to side movement. I also said that this is a metal to metal failure as he explained over the phone. At that point he could not argue and said the part would be replaced under warranty.
2006 Black Five Hundred Limited

phillip

Post by phillip » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:45 am

Mine was replaced by the local Ford dealer under my extended warranty (which, unfortunately, runs out at 75,000 miles -- 4,000 miles from now). I don't know what it cost; the invoice says "EXTD WARR COV." Says the same for the throttle body replacement and washer fluid reservoir replacement.
2006 Five Hundred Limited, black w/ pebble, moonroof, rear parking sensors, traction control, power memory pedals

ScrillaNation

Post by ScrillaNation » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:10 am

@ Tauri

The lady may had been nice but at the same time I think that that piece has a lot to do with where you live. If you live in a place where it gets really cold. Over time that rubber starts to breakaway due to the heating of the engine and cold temputure over and over.

I personally like I said had mine replace at 45k miles on my 06. I do normal driving nothing harsh. Regardless if her son is a certified mechanic.

I had a certified mechanic install my mudflap replacement being lazy(wrong idea). He put the ones on that were designed on the front on the back. I pointed it out to the service manager and he didnt charged me and I just did the job myself. Certification means nothing in my book.

I had problems with the throttle and to this day they still dont know why my vehicle rpms rev every time I change to drive or reverse. Filed a lemon law claim and won. just be prepared to pay $200.00 if you dont have a warranty.

johnbeere

Post by johnbeere » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks to all for the information. I just order the replacement - cost $13.99 with shipping. I had a tire rotation/balancing/alignment done today and they advised that the mount was shot (2005 Five Hundred / 63K miles). They wanted $621.25 for the part and $90 to install. I love you guys!
John Beere
Manassas, VA

Bruceman

Post by Bruceman » Sun May 08, 2011 8:49 pm

I have a 2006 Five Hundred Limited. My mount is also broken with 60,000 miles on the car.

I purchased a new mount from the dealer for $213.00 but I have not installed it yet, hopefully when the bushing arrives that I ordered for $7.99 comes in I will return the mount to the dealer.

Not good feelings about my 500 now. The A/C compressor needs replacing and the motor mount is shot. Whats next???
2006 Five Hundred Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2003 Honda VT750 Shadow

Tomcat

Post by Tomcat » Mon May 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Can you notice when these go bad while driving (clunking noise or something)? I noticed mine is cracking but not sure it's at the point where it needs to be replaced.

jelloyd

Post by jelloyd » Mon May 09, 2011 5:02 pm

I noticed after mine was replaced it had no jolt while i shifted from reverse to drive or vise versa.

jesswshows

Post by jesswshows » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:44 pm

I've a 2006 "500", with a shot top motor mount bushing...I see that some of you have mentioned a "Volvo" bushing...what model, part number, etc....no one carries the Ford version, but Ford, and even with my employee discount it's expensive and they only offer the entire mount, not just the bushing...

If you have a link to the part or distributor with it, please send via email ([email protected])...thanks

Jess

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:35 pm

From page one of this thread: http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/v ... f=1&t=3306

I bought three of 'em so I'll have a few spares.

kjholsop

Post by kjholsop » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Thanks for all the information pertaining to the engine torque mount. I was replacing my front sway bar link and found the mount bad after a quick inspection of the engine compartment. 61,000 miles on my 2005 Mercury Montego Premier AWD CVT. I used a 1032843 from Napa. It fits the 1998 Volvo V70 T5 as stated in previous posts. The majority of the 2 hours to replace the mount was grinding the nubs off to make it flush. I started with a Dremel and changed to the Multi-Tool. Same time but the Dremel was close to overheating. I didn't look up the torque for the bolt but snug should work. Hopefully this low cost repair will last awhile. If it goes out again I would rather save the time and replace with OEM part.

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Mine's been good for about 20k now. If the Volvo part goes bad, it's just one bolt and a few minutes to swap it out again