If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

How to disable seat belt chime?

Discuss anything related to the interior here - e.g. seats, audio system, etc.
shumax

How to disable seat belt chime?

Post by shumax » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:22 pm

I'm sure someone will flame me for asking, but how do you turn off the chime that reminds me to fasten my seat belt?

There has to be a fuse to remove, or a wire to cut.

Thanks!

Webmaster
Site Administrator
Vehicle: 2002 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew

Post by Webmaster » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:40 pm

First let me say ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELT. If you have no regard for your own life and the lives of those people riding with you, then read on. I don't think Ford should give people the option to disable the BeltMinder system.
Owners Manual wrote: Deactivating/activating the BeltMinder feature

The driver and front passenger BeltMinder are deactivated/activated independently. When deactivating/activating one seating position, do not buckle the other position as this will terminate the process.

Read steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the
deactivation/activation programming procedure.

Note: The driver and front passenger BeltMinder features must be disabled/enabled separately. Both cannot be disable/enabled during the same key cycle.

The driver and front passenger BeltMinder features can be deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:
Before following the procedure, make sure that:
- The parking brake is set
- The gearshift is in P (Park) (automatic transmission)
- The ignition switch is in the OFF position
- The driver and front passenger safety belts are unbuckled

To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate/activate the Belt Minder feature while driving the vehicle.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1 minute)
- Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off.
3. For the seating position being disabled, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt 9 times, ending in the unbuckled state. (Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off.)
- After step 3, the restraint system warning light (airbag light) will be turned on for three seconds.
4. Within 10 seconds of the light turning on, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
- This will disable the BeltMinder feature for that seating position if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds.
- This will enable the BeltMinder feature for that seating position if it is currently disabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the light off, then followed by the restraint system warning light flashing 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.

shumax

Post by shumax » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:59 pm

Webmaster wrote:First let me say ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SEATBELT. If you have no regard for your own life and the lives of those people riding with you, then read on. I don't think Ford should give people the option to disable the BeltMinder system.
Owners Manual wrote: Deactivating/activating the BeltMinder feature

The driver and front passenger BeltMinder are deactivated/activated independently. When deactivating/activating one seating position, do not buckle the other position as this will terminate the process.

Read steps 1 - 4 thoroughly before proceeding with the
deactivation/activation programming procedure.

Note: The driver and front passenger BeltMinder features must be disabled/enabled separately. Both cannot be disable/enabled during the same key cycle.

The driver and front passenger BeltMinder features can be deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:
Before following the procedure, make sure that:
- The parking brake is set
- The gearshift is in P (Park) (automatic transmission)
- The ignition switch is in the OFF position
- The driver and front passenger safety belts are unbuckled

To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate/activate the Belt Minder feature while driving the vehicle.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1 minute)
- Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off.
3. For the seating position being disabled, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt 9 times, ending in the unbuckled state. (Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning light turns off.)
- After step 3, the restraint system warning light (airbag light) will be turned on for three seconds.
4. Within 10 seconds of the light turning on, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
- This will disable the BeltMinder feature for that seating position if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds.
- This will enable the BeltMinder feature for that seating position if it is currently disabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning light will flash 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the light off, then followed by the restraint system warning light flashing 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.
Thanks for the information, but I want to try to respond to what was perceived as an assumption of my lack of responsibility in disabling my seatbelt.

Very candidly, I find it silly that it chimes under a certain speed. I drive around in my temporary housing complex to the gym, to take trash out, etc. It's constantly chiming away. On the road? You bet I weat it!

Thanks for your concern though.

Regards...

johnclineii

Post by johnclineii » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:14 pm

It is not safe to assume that it is fine to NOT wear a seat belt when driving around an apartment complex, etc. More accidents happen close to home than most think. You do what you want, but you never know when a kaboom may be a-waiting for you.

shumax

Post by shumax » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:10 pm

johnclineii wrote:It is not safe to assume that it is fine to NOT wear a seat belt when driving around an apartment complex, etc. More accidents happen close to home than most think. You do what you want, but you never know when a kaboom may be a-waiting for you.
Oh for crying out loud. You're preaching to the choir, pal. I work in the insurance industry and understand more about that piece of advice than you'll ever understand---trust me.

At 5mph, at best, I doubt it's going to do much harm but thanks for your concern :roll:

meyerk

Post by meyerk » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:19 pm

shumax wrote:At 5mph, at best, I doubt it's going to do much harm but thanks for your concern :roll:
Until the moron 19 year old crashes his 98 Tahoe into you at 50 mph in the parking lot of your temporary housing complex after drinking with his friends that live there.....

shumax

Post by shumax » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:15 am

meyerk wrote:
shumax wrote:At 5mph, at best, I doubt it's going to do much harm but thanks for your concern :roll:
Until the moron 19 year old crashes his 98 Tahoe into you at 50 mph in the parking lot of your temporary housing complex after drinking with his friends that live there.....

Look folks; I'm not out here promoting that you take your safety belt off.

If I want to assume the odds of 1,000,000 to 1 that someone will hit me at 50mph in a temp. housing parking lot, then let that be my issue. Don't talk down at me about it. That's an assumed risk and one I'll take.

As I clearly stated in my first post, I always wear my safety belt when I'm on the road. Period.

Thanks for your concern, but let's not turn this post into what I tried to mitigate at the onset.

Regards...

johnclineii

Post by johnclineii » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:39 am

And when someone DOES hit him and turn him into a paraplegic and a mute, or worse yet, kills him, his wife or widow or surviving family will sue Ford for making a car that the belt minder was so easily defeated in and claim that was forseeable. And the media will blame the lawyers for pursuing the case. And perhaps even this website will be brought in as a party for aiding and abetting in the defeat of a safety mechanism.

Sorry, assumption of risk ain't something the public, juries or the legal system puts much faith in these days. Corporate America is often expected to assume the risk that their customers will do stupid but forseeable stuff. On the other hand, that same Corporate America would be just as happy with tort reform that limited or ended their responsibility for tortious conduct.

Insurance industry, eh? And want to defeat safety features? Whatever...

Enjoy your car. And try not to get hit by drunks or people yakking on a phone. As if that is even possible.

snowshoe

they call it a beltminder? Sounds more like a 3 alarm fire!

Post by snowshoe » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:02 am

Without going into the importance of safety belts, I am considering disabling mine as there are rare occasions when it is unbuckled and when the bell goes off it is so distracting as to be dangerous. I did not count how many times the bell goes off but 3 or 4 would be plenty. They didn't need that high a volume either.

One of my very few dislikes that could be easily fixed unless the volume is mandated by the government.

shumax

Post by shumax » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:37 pm

johnclineii wrote:
Insurance industry, eh? And want to defeat safety features? Whatever...

Enjoy your car. And try not to get hit by drunks or people yakking on a phone. As if that is even possible.

Boy, you sure have your pants in a wad over this, don't you? :roll:

I'll take my chances in an apartment parking lot where there is no possible way to get about 25mph (roads turn too much, etc.), that I won't get hit by a drunk or someone yacking on the phone, or whatever other possible situation you can drum up.

Once again, it's an assumed risk that I am willing to take. I'm not out to transfer the liability to someone else; however, I thank you for making an assumption of not only my intergrity, but those who are my family as well. :roll:

shumax

Re: they call it a beltminder? Sounds more like a 3 alarm f

Post by shumax » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:40 pm

snowshoe wrote: rare occasions when it is unbuckled and when the bell goes off it is so distracting as to be dangerous. I did not count how many times the bell goes off but 3 or 4 would be plenty. They didn't need that high a volume either. .
Well put. I think the audible intesity of that chime is beyond loud, it's obnoxious and distracting in and of itself.

johnclineii

Post by johnclineii » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:35 pm

I'm really trying not to be rude here, but perhaps it is distracting and obnoxious and rude for a reason...

Just a thought...

BlueLtd2

seat belt chime deactivations

Post by BlueLtd2 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:09 pm

Deactivating/Activating

1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (Do not start the engine.)

2. Wait approximately 1 minute until the safety belt warning indicator turns off.

NOTE: Step 3 must be completed within 50 seconds after the safety belt warning indicator turns off.
To disable the seating position, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt 9 times, ending in the unbuckled state.
* After Step 3, the safety belt warning indicator illuminates for 3 seconds.

4. Within 10 seconds of the safety belt warning indicator turning on, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
* This disables the belt minder feature for that seating position, if it is currently enabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds.
* This enables the belt minder feature for that seating position, if it is currently disabled. As confirmation, the restraint system warning indicator flashes 4 times per second for 3 seconds, followed by 3 seconds with the light off, then followed by the restraint system warning indicator flashing 4 times per second for 3 seconds again.

It is very important that this be done in the proper manor.

fordfanatic2005

Post by fordfanatic2005 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:46 pm

I am the same way every day on my way to the trash. I just quick jump in the car and drive away without putting my belt on it not that its unsafe i mean the bumpers will absorb the impact up to 5mph that is what they are suposed to do! You think that ford would make it so the beltminder will activate if you are going above 15 mph or something like that or make it so it does not sound soo soon! I sometimes find it helpful when on the highways but for the trash its very annoying! (btw i have an 05 escape but working on getting me a 500!) But all new fords have this beltminder system eww... :x

angel500

Post by angel500 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:47 pm

Good to see I'm not the only one who went back to read older post AND replied to them!! Thanks FordFan.

Me? I appreciate the belt minder. I always buckle up. Though I'll admit I can get in a hurry and have heard that reminder for myself twice. I really appreciate it for anyone who is a passenger. I'd go one step further and have it sound for the back seat too.

At least for those who don't like it ... there is a way to disarm it.

angel

Domain

Post by Domain » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:53 pm

fordfanatic2005 wrote:I am the same way every day on my way to the trash. I just quick jump in the car and drive away without putting my belt on it not that its unsafe i mean the bumpers will absorb the impact up to 5mph that is what they are suposed to do! You think that ford would make it so the beltminder will activate if you are going above 15 mph or something like that or make it so it does not sound soo soon! I sometimes find it helpful when on the highways but for the trash its very annoying! (btw i have an 05 escape but working on getting me a 500!) But all new fords have this beltminder system eww... :x
In times like this, I blame the lawyers. :D

But I kid. I've never had a severe annoyance with the BeltMinder, though I wish it could also slap up passengers that are obstinate about remaining unbuckled. Then again, my car never moves an INCH without all occupants buckled. I'll turn off the car and sit their all day if I have to. You want risk injury in my car? Step out of the vehicle.
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD

500onspinners

Post by 500onspinners » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:11 am

i mean who really cares who take it off or leaves it on ... its jus ones choice .... its not ur life so whut does it mater if sum-1 took the chime off or took it on ? ppl look like they gettin all personal about this lol ..... am not ganna lie i took mine off cuz its anoying ... going to south beach sittin on the door and driving or have my friend get out the car to go talk to a girl come back in ... it was way way to anoying for me ... but i do put my seat belt on the high way :) but point being sum ppl on this post being to personal lol i find it funny ...

fordfanatic2005

Post by fordfanatic2005 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:45 am

I am happy to reply to your posts its so much fun learning about this car :lol: Yeah i guess that beltminder is handy to have ford is i think the only one to use this saftey device :) God luck with your five hundred (i want one soo back) :P

angel500

Post by angel500 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:16 pm

500onspinners wrote:i mean who really cares who take it off or leaves it on ... its jus ones choice .... its not ur life so whut does it mater if sum-1 took the chime off or took it on ? ppl look like they gettin all personal about this lol ..... am not ganna lie i took mine off cuz its anoying ... going to south beach sittin on the door and driving or have my friend get out the car to go talk to a girl come back in ... it was way way to anoying for me ... but i do put my seat belt on the high way :) but point being sum ppl on this post being to personal lol i find it funny ...
500onspinners,

Because for some it is a personal issue. I'll explain it from my point of view though. Say I'm in an accident. Someone in my vehicle is seriously injured. Due to no fault of my own. I'm doing 5 mph through a parking lot when some drunk without insurance comes barrelling out of nowhere and sideswipes me. My passenger recieves injuries they might have otherwise avoided because they were not wearing a seatbelt. I could be found at fault. Said person may sue me and my insurance provider. Said person might win.

Change that story to someone I don't know. But the driver of the vehicle that is hit has insurance with the same company I do. Insurance companies are in the business the make money. They have to recoupe the costs somewhere. So my insurance rates are higher because of such instances.

Then I think about the big picture. All the people who have been in accidents and were found at fault or partially at fault. People who might have survived or their injuries would not have been as bad had they worn a seatbelt. All the insurance companies that had to cover such injuries.

It's not just insurance companies though. What about the ones that end up disabled, lose their jobs, and on government assistance because of their decision not to wear a seatbelt. The burden then falls on the taxpayers.

I don't wear rose colored glasses and pretend that wearing seatbelts is always convienent. I know it can be uncomfortable at times for some. I know many of the arguements, reasons and excuses some don't wear one. I also realize many see it as something that should be personal choice. Maybe it would be a personal choice if insurance companies didn't have to pay for those choices. Maybe it would be a personal choice if I didn't have to worry about someone sueing me or my insurance company. Maybe it would be a personal choice if the consequences didn't affect anyone other than the person who chooses not to wear the seatbelt. Maybe even Ford and other vehicle manufacturers have incurred costs for what some considered a personal choice of not wearing a seatbelt.

All that is neither here nor there. Sometimes someone may simply forget to put on a seatbelt in a rush. There will be those who don't ever want to wear a seatbelt. And there are those who don't think they need to wear one in a parking lot, in their neighborhood or for local driving. Even though it's a law in {I think all} the states, some still don't wear it unless they see a law enforcement person then try to sneak it on.

Me? I wear my seatbelt. There has been at least one accident I survived because I did have it on. I'll remind or ask passengers to do the same. I appreciate the seatbelt minder. So it may be someone's choice not to do so. That doesn't mean that I have to agree with that choice. That doesn't mean that I'm not entitled to my opinion or my ability to express such. But you did ask, "who really cares who take it off or leaves it on." I care.

angel

Toaderly

Post by Toaderly » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:26 pm

angel500 wrote: I know it can be uncomfortable at times for some. I know many of the arguments, reasons and excuses some don't wear one.

It always leaves the tell-tale sign of a wrinkle on the front of your shirt/blouse. ;)

Excellent post, Angel.:D