If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

illegal window tint

Discuss anything about the exterior here - e.g. paint, styling, colors, wheels, etc.
mhb22

illegal window tint

Post by mhb22 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:28 pm

Virginia has very conservative tint laws.

50% of front side windows, 35% on rears, and back glass ( for passenger cars)

i have 50% down each side and 35% on rear glass.

want to go 35% all thw way around. anyone been pulled for illegal tint?

how much is ticket?

do police really check for that?

Virginia is lame!

johnclineii

Post by johnclineii » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:30 pm

Yes, they check.

The ticket can be minimal compared to the court costs.

And be glad you don't live in New York.

angel500

Post by angel500 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:32 pm

Virginia is lame!
Virginia is for Lovers. Or at least so I hear. I loved living in VA. I lived in Charlottesville for a bit.

I haven't been ticketed for my tint because I'm within legal limits.

angel

PMCErnie

Post by PMCErnie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:43 pm

angel500 wrote:
Virginia is lame!
Virginia is for Lovers. Or at least so I hear. I loved living in VA. I lived in Charlottesville for a bit.

I haven't been ticketed for my tint because I'm within legal limits.

angel
Of course this is true.
2009 Taurus SEL (smokestone/tan)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan (cabernet red pearl/tan)

jimbo

Post by jimbo » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:06 am

Illinios and Iowa allow NO tint. I have 35% on all windows (except the windshield, of course) and have not had a problem yet. It looks really sweet, kinda gangster look (heheheh), and I have had a lot of compliments on it. I'm sure one day I will find the one cop that takes offense to it and get a ticket, but for now I will enjoy it!
2005 Black Limited AWD with black leather, and has every option that is available.
2006 300C LOADED!
1993 Explorer XLT 160,000 miles
1990 Honda Accord 129,000 miles

SpoofRocket

Post by SpoofRocket » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:56 am

my 500 has 6% on sides and rear
previous cars i have had..
bmw m3 i had 20% front sides and rear
mustang i had 5% on sides and rear and 50% on front
my explorer i had double 5% on sides and rear and 50% on front

i have never been pulled over for illigal tint.
most of my cars look like i sell drugs... funny how florida is.
2006 Ford 500 Limited Black/Black
22 X 8.5 Lexani Onyx Wheels - 245/30/22 Pirelli PZero Nero - McCulloch 8000k H.I.D. Kit Headlamps and Foglamps - Billet Grille Insert - Lumar 6% Window Tint

mhb22

Post by mhb22 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:04 am

spoof rocket,

your ride is sweet. i was using that picture to photo shop the side moldings off. might take mine off.

what is the legal limit in FLA?

i really want to get mine done to at least 35% all the way around

fish

Post by fish » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:37 pm

As a Cop working in NYC I can tell you that having the rear windows tinted is usually no problem, even if its a Limo tint. The front windows I would recommend going no darker than 35%. As long as we can see who is driving and if they are legal, ex. seatbelt, etc. than we have no problem.
2005 SEL, Pearl Blue.

angel500

Post by angel500 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:12 pm

As long as we can see who is driving and if they are legal, ex. seatbelt, etc. than we have no problem.
I can understand wanting to be able to see who is driving. And thank you for serving and protecting. {Assuming you aint one of them croocked cops that is. :wink: }

angel

Domain

Post by Domain » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:24 pm

fish wrote:As a Cop working in NYC I can tell you that having the rear windows tinted is usually no problem, even if its a Limo tint. The front windows I would recommend going no darker than 35%. As long as we can see who is driving and if they are legal, ex. seatbelt, etc. than we have no problem.
I'm not about to tempt fate. Always a chance that a bored trooper on the Thruway may want to have some fun writing me a ticket for too much tint. :(
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD

fish

Post by fish » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:25 pm

Thats a smart move, but like I said, 35%-50% up front should be no problem. In the rear, I would recomoned 25%.
Take into consideration the color of your interior as well. The darker the interior the higher % you may want, since it will look darker than it really is.
I have 35% on mine front, and a peable interior, it looks as if I have at least a 45%
2005 SEL, Pearl Blue.

AXNFIGZ

Post by AXNFIGZ » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:46 pm

I live in Florida. got my tints 15% front windows, 5% rear windows and windshield strip. Totally changes the look of the car ..makes it very limo like or undercover police car like.... :lol: ..especially since my 500 is dark blue

florida law says front should be 20%..but many do 15% and have no problems..had it that way on my last 3 cars and never any issues....
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, instead I'd rather skid in sideways, MP3 player in one hand, Guiness beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming- WOO HOO what a ride!"

warment

Post by warment » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:47 am

A few years back I got a ticket for illegal tint in my 2000 Mustang GT. The ticket total was like $75 (with court costs). I have 20% all around (except the front window).

The inconsistencies in VA tint laws are baffling to me. I mean, you can go into a showroom, but an SUV with 5% tint on the rear 5 windows, but you can do the same in a car. What's up with that?

Bill

johnclineii

Post by johnclineii » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:50 am

MOST SUV's are considered trucks and do not have to meet the same regulations as cars. Recently, Subaru reclassified the Outback as a truck.

In addition, most states allow anything the factory, as opposed to aftermarket, installs.

mhb22

Post by mhb22 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:50 pm

to any of you who have recived tickets:

why did you get pulled over? did the cop pull you for speeding and then decide to bust your chops?

i wnat to take mine to a 35% down the whole side. in Virginina, 50% is legal limit on front windows.

warment

Post by warment » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:54 am

The cop told me that he pulled me over specifically for the tint. However, I was going the opposite direction on a divided 4 lane highway next to a semi around 75 mph in a 55 mph zone. I saw him pull a u-turn and I prompt set my cruise control to 55 mph. He rode behind and then beside me for quite a while before he pulled me over.

My opinion is that he wanted to catch me for speeding, but settled for the tint when he couldn't do it.

I guess you do get unwanted attention when driving a "performance red" mustang gt with a flowmaster cat back system and dark windows...

Bill

Avanti

Window Tint

Post by Avanti » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:07 am

I was a cop a long time ago (before I switched to the fire side of public safety), but I always hated walking up on vehicles with tinted windows. Even if I could see through the front windows okay, I felt very vulnerable as I passed the darker rear windows.
Wisconsin used to have very convoluted procedures for writing window tickets, so a lot of us didn't bother (except State Troopers, of course). We were all vulnerable walking up on legally tinted vehicles too (mostly SUVs and vans back then). It eventually just became another part of the job.
I recently read the Milwaukee PD is just now buying tint meters. If they are serious, it should be a huge revenue producer...
2005 Mercury Premier AWD

Toaderly

Re: Window Tint

Post by Toaderly » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:27 am

Avanti wrote:I recently read the Milwaukee PD is just now buying tint meters. If they are serious, it should be a huge revenue producer...

Actually, this is a light meter. They take a reading on the light outside of the car, then place it against the inside of the window and divide the two. The dividend will give them the % of light coming through the window.

leapfrog

Post by leapfrog » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:39 am

Where I live there are tint laws, but they aren't enforced. Every day I see a car or two that are obviously off-side.

While I have no problem with functional tint, as an expresion of style I think it's in the same kind of ticky tack category as velvet paintings, ducks on the wall, and those silly spinning hub caps. As far as function goes, in Arizona it makes sense, but I live in a Mediterranean climate where it never goes above 95 degrees, and it's usually in the mid seventies in the summer. Heavily tinted windows would be about as useful for me as air conditioning would be in Nome, Alaska.
Silver Frost Metallic Ford Five Hundred Limited FWD
w/ Black Leather and all the Options

Proud Owner of the Very First C.O.T.M. (March 2005)

Victoria, BC

500onspinners

Post by 500onspinners » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:33 am

it just depends whut cop is in ur area..... i ussed to have 5% on all my windows and 20% on my weinsheild i used to get tickted bout 1 or 2 times a month by the same cop(i was driving a caddy) ... until one day i jus got tired of it and jus took it off completly thinkin he will eave me alone ... lol no it didn't help then i jus kept getting sitted for seat belt or other b.s. tickets ... well enough rambling i got 15 % on all my windows and never had a problem