If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Discuss anything about the exterior here - e.g. paint, styling, colors, wheels, etc.
Post Reply
OrangeC8
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 am

Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by OrangeC8 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:00 pm

I have noticed in other posts that some have lost the center caps on their Ford 500; these are the small caps that cover the wheel hubs. I have lost one and removed the other three until I solve the problem. The problem is that one or more of the plastic retaining tabs (held within a metal ring) have broken; it seems that with two or more tabs gone it is very likely that the caps will fly off. I believe that the tabs break from rough handling from tire service mechanics; the caps should be pushed on gently but no doubt are hammered on with the heal of a hand or even a rubber mallet.

My question is: Has anyone found an alternative to the stock center caps - from another model or an after market supplier? The cost for genuine Ford replacements is $20 each!

Word to the wise: If you take your 500 in for tire service (i.e., rotation) gently remove the center caps with a small screwdriver before and then, just as gently, put them back on yourself when you return home.

How can this problem be reported to Ford, or do they even care?

PB


User avatar
JJ
Regular Member
Posts: 3197
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 12:29 pm

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by JJ » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:36 pm

I lost one once and it cost me $35 for the part. :evil:
N.Y.S. Certified Auto Technician. I am retired from the automotive field. 2005 FORD Fivehundred SE 6 speed auto FWD Traction control. Build date: 11/16/2004. G-Tech tested 0-60MPH 8.34 1/4 mile 16.38 @85.9MPH.

User avatar
PMCErnie
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:23 am
Location: Richmond, VA

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by PMCErnie » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:02 am

OrangeC8 wrote:I have noticed in other posts that some have lost the center caps on their Ford 500; these are the small caps that cover the wheel hubs. I have lost one and removed the other three until I solve the problem. The problem is that one or more of the plastic retaining tabs (held within a metal ring) have broken; it seems that with two or more tabs gone it is very likely that the caps will fly off. I believe that the tabs break from rough handling from tire service mechanics; the caps should be pushed on gently but no doubt are hammered on with the heal of a hand or even a rubber mallet.

My question is: Has anyone found an alternative to the stock center caps - from another model or an after market supplier? The cost for genuine Ford replacements is $20 each!

Word to the wise: If you take your 500 in for tire service (i.e., rotation) gently remove the center caps with a small screwdriver before and then, just as gently, put them back on yourself when you return home.

How can this problem be reported to Ford, or do they even care?

PB
I think "care" is the operative word, Orange. They may not. Or, at least they are sloooooooooooow to react.
2009 Taurus SEL (smokestone/tan)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan (cabernet red pearl/tan)

rer21307
Regular Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:06 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by rer21307 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:56 pm

I just noticed I have lost the driver side rear center cap on the rim. My first problem at 17500:evil: Anyone know if this is covered under warrantee?? I think it should be...its a defective part.
07 500 SEL 6spd

OrangeC8
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 am

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by OrangeC8 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:13 pm

Further Info:

1) I believe that the center caps would be covered under the 12 month warranty, but you would probably have to show your dealer some of the defective caps (if you look at the caps still on your car you might notice that some of the tabs are broken off).

2) I am no longer assuming that the one I lost came off on its own. Reasoning: The three remaining caps all have broken tabs (the clips inside that hold them on), some with half the tabs missing, and these stay attached with no problems. And, the availability of individual USED center caps (for virtually all auto makes and models) on eBay causes one to wonder just where the supply comes from. Think about?

PB

deletedaccount
Regular Member
Posts: 2381
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:25 pm

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by deletedaccount » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:15 pm

PMCErnie wrote:
OrangeC8 wrote:I have noticed in other posts that some have lost the center caps on their Ford 500; these are the small caps that cover the wheel hubs. I have lost one and removed the other three until I solve the problem. The problem is that one or more of the plastic retaining tabs (held within a metal ring) have broken; it seems that with two or more tabs gone it is very likely that the caps will fly off. I believe that the tabs break from rough handling from tire service mechanics; the caps should be pushed on gently but no doubt are hammered on with the heal of a hand or even a rubber mallet.

My question is: Has anyone found an alternative to the stock center caps - from another model or an after market supplier? The cost for genuine Ford replacements is $20 each!

Word to the wise: If you take your 500 in for tire service (i.e., rotation) gently remove the center caps with a small screwdriver before and then, just as gently, put them back on yourself when you return home.

How can this problem be reported to Ford, or do they even care?

PB
I think "care" is the operative word, Orange. They may not. Or, at least they are sloooooooooooow to react.

Ford would probably reinsure "all" of us, that all mechanics act responsibly with your vehicle and treat it as if it were their own. :? :shock: :roll: :lol:

User avatar
andysinnh
Regular Member
Posts: 461
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:00 am
Location: Merrimack, NH

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by andysinnh » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:57 pm

So center caps on a Ford are, frankly, no different than those on a GM or even a Honda. If you're talking about a center cap that covers the lug nuts, they are designed to be removed with a flat-blade screwdriver, generally with an indentation location on the wheel. For those that DON'T cover the lug nuts, the only way to take them out without damaging the cap or the wheel itself is to remove it after the wheel comes off the car - usually with the butt-end of a screwdriver, gently popping it out.

I watched the tire shop remove the center caps on my Freestyle limited with 18" wheels and exposed lug nuts, and they have only plastic clips and if you tried to pry them out from the front you would likely snap the clips. But on the center caps I just bought for the 17" SEL wheels I got for snow tires, they have a metal pressure snap ring, held in by plastic clips, that allow easy removal from the front. If you go in there and try to dig at the clips themselves to remove the cap, you can break the plastic clips, and make the fit weaker (and as such risk losing them) - but if use a wide blade screwdriver and just slightly pry at the edges, they typically either snap off, or you can get enough leverage with your fingers to snap them off that way.

But the bottom line is that the retention system for Ford wheels are no different than other manufacturers - and if you get too agressive, you'll break the plastic inner clips...

andy
2 "Ford" and 2 "Honda" Family in NH

05 Accord LX Sedan Auto 118k miles
07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 67k miles
04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 1k miles

Zeke
Regular Member
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:18 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by Zeke » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:53 pm

So, why don't they make this thing more robust?

User avatar
Domain
Regular Member
Posts: 2750
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:44 pm
Location: Southern Erie County, New York
Contact:

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by Domain » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Maybe they wanted it to deform in a crash. :D
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD

Dutch
Regular Member
Posts: 1022
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:29 pm
Location: Chandler, Arizona

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by Dutch » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:16 pm

PMCErnie wrote:
OrangeC8 wrote:I have noticed in other posts that some have lost the center caps on their Ford 500; these are the small caps that cover the wheel hubs. I have lost one and removed the other three until I solve the problem. The problem is that one or more of the plastic retaining tabs (held within a metal ring) have broken; it seems that with two or more tabs gone it is very likely that the caps will fly off. I believe that the tabs break from rough handling from tire service mechanics; the caps should be pushed on gently but no doubt are hammered on with the heal of a hand or even a rubber mallet.

My question is: Has anyone found an alternative to the stock center caps - from another model or an after market supplier? The cost for genuine Ford replacements is $20 each!

Word to the wise: If you take your 500 in for tire service (i.e., rotation) gently remove the center caps with a small screwdriver before and then, just as gently, put them back on yourself when you return home.

How can this problem be reported to Ford, or do they even care?

PB
I think "care" is the operative word, Orange. They may not. Or, at least they are sloooooooooooow to react.
Oh, Ford cares. They save a nickel on each part by making them so cheap and flimsy, then they get to sell you replacements. It's a whole stream of income. :)

The ones on my '00 Mustang were pretty tough and never posed a problem or got damaged in about 40 tire rotations while I owned the car. Ford has learned from that mistake!
2009 Ford Mustang
1967 Ford Fairlane 500 Sedan
2007 Pontiac Torrent

rer21307
Regular Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:06 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by rer21307 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:42 am

In my case I have rotated my own tires at 6K & 12K and lost the cap at about 17K. I did this so I could observe brake & tire wear. The tires have worn even and the brakes looked good at 12K. I am due to do it again in the next week or 2 at 18K. So the main point is the wheels have been handled very easily. The failure was either assembly, design or failure of a Ford part. Oh it's the driver side rear so it's not likely it jumped a curb or anything like that.
07 500 SEL 6spd

rer21307
Regular Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 11:06 am
Location: South Carolina

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by rer21307 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:51 am

I visited my FLM dealer for an oil change & no deal on the hub cap. But they discovered a bad battery on testing & replaced it free. The little cap is $20, they had to order it, it should be in tomorrow (they say). I'll go by wednesday when I'm in the area and see.
07 500 SEL 6spd

OrangeC8
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:49 am

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by OrangeC8 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:39 am

Have you noticed that, typically, we are losing just one center cap at a time; curiously, they appear on e-bay one at a time.

User avatar
Serge_L
Regular Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:38 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by Serge_L » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:44 pm

I have lost the blue oval stickers on each of the centre caps (18" wheels). They seem to peel off somehow. I once picked up a flimsy Ford crest in the snow, in the driveway, this past Winter; I made the mental connection between the crest and the centre caps a couple of days later (Winters are numbingly cold around here, sometimes...), and lo and behold! the crests were all gone!

I won't even look into replacement, for fear of "sticker shock". Besides, the uniformly silver-coloured wheels are not bad-looking, if a bit bland.
Last edited by Serge_L on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Ford Five Hundred Limited - AWD w. CVT - Moonroof - Alloy Clearcoat on Black.
2006 Ford Focus SE - w. MTX75 - Moonroof - Dark Shadow Grey on Grey.
Anxiously waiting for the Mondeo to reach these shores.

05WI500
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by 05WI500 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:29 pm

Can you replace just the stickers? My wife's Freestyle's are gone (I had my 500's replaced under warranty when I bought it).

UK PONY
Regular Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by UK PONY » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:40 pm

05WI500 wrote:Can you replace just the stickers? My wife's Freestyle's are gone (I had my 500's replaced under warranty when I bought it).
Not sure, but it's worth checking into - my 500 coulduse a new set of stickers - the caps themselves are fine.
2005 Mustang V6 Vert, Sonic Blue, Charcoal Leather Interior
2007 Mustang V6 Coupe, Redfire Red, Light Graphite Cloth Interior

Zeke
Regular Member
Posts: 901
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:18 am
Location: Minnesota

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by Zeke » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:25 am

I took a Saab in for dealer service when it was ten years old, and obviously out of warranty. The brand badge had fallen off the hood; and they replaced it without charge.

I think the idea is that you want your logo to be seen (every customer is advertising for you), and that of all things to break and look bad, you don't want it to be your logo.

With this in mind, I'm surprised that Ford wouldn't replace these caps gratis. They should have a pile of them in a basket at the dealership and give them away free as advertising novelties.

05WI500
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by 05WI500 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:30 pm

Those stickers are put on poorly....I think they take a beating from auto-car washes...Makes sense....They are just "stickers" like what I put on my notebooks as a kid :)

FordFrankenstein
Regular Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: Center Caps (aka: small hub caps) . . .

Post by FordFrankenstein » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:29 pm

You only paid 35??!:o I paid almost 60

Post Reply