If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Ford reverses plan to make SUV in Kentucky

RStabb

Ford reverses plan to make SUV in Kentucky

Post by RStabb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:34 pm

RStabb

Re: Ford reverses plan to make SUV in Kentucky

Post by RStabb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:50 pm

How is it that FMC can ask for concessions from the UAW when inflation is at an all time high and unemployment stands at almost 10%.

It's a real slap in the face to the American worker that has spent ten years making concessions to keep jobs here.

That's why I bought a KIA.

Get it yet???

RS

Zeke

Post by Zeke » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Inflation is at an all-time high?

RStabb

Post by RStabb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:13 pm

Zeke wrote:Inflation is at an all-time high?
Go buy a pack of smokes or a gallon of gas or some produce.
Send your kids off to College and see what it costs.

Compare it to ten years ago, not six months ago. :?

forddieseltech

Post by forddieseltech » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:23 pm

Ford is paying the guys in the plant, 52$ an hour for unskilled labour. That is insane, that's a 15$ an hour job plus benefits all day long.
I always stand behind my work!

I would never stand in front of it!

Taurus, wifes grocery getter
F350 6.7 diesel dually hot rod

RStabb

Post by RStabb » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:41 pm

forddieseltech wrote:Ford is paying the guys in the plant, 52$ an hour for unskilled labour. That is insane, that's a 15$ an hour job plus benefits all day long.
I believe that $52.00 per hour rate includes benefits. The UAW and its members fought for it for many years.

Believe me, I'm not a Union member. I was a dealer tech grunt without a Union my entire life at the Dealer level.

Why would any auto worker take a step back from what they already fought for for decades to have an American Company ship production overseas to save a buck and drive down the unemployment rate and give the top dogs a pay raise?

I don't understand.

RS

sleeper357
Former Moderator

Post by sleeper357 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Why would the union not give fmc the same deal it gave gm and Chrysler ?

RStabb

Post by RStabb » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:32 am

sleeper357 wrote:Why would the union not give fmc the same deal it gave gm and Chrysler ?
Because GM and Chrysler went bankrupt and sold it to the government. :?

Meg's Dad

Post by Meg's Dad » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:55 am

Well, the union worker would have to step back fro wages and benefits fought for earlier as they are way out of whack with what most people get now. The problem with the union wage rates is that the company with the most profitable year was the company that the union chose to strike against during the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Then the other two just followed suit. That worked as long as cars were selling and the automakers could push the costs to the consumer.

With the economy in the toilet and the automobile union wages and BENEFITS so exorbitant, there was a natural decline of those to a more realistic level. After all, if the wages and benefits went up because the companys were doing so well, then it is also logical that when the profits went into the tank, so should the w&b's. Of course, you'll never get a union guy to agree to that.

Let's be honest, how many other companies give fully paid medical for employees and their families? Is that changing, maybe, maybe not. Review the pension plan of the auto union members against almost any other manufacturing industry in the US. I don't think on balance they compare.

My brother works at Ford in Louisville. I know the ups and downs of his job. Still, his benefit package is better than anyone else's that I know. By a bunch. With overtime before the economic crisis, he made significantly more money than I did, with benefits almost doubling what I had with an office job. So, I don't give them much sympathy when they have to actually pay for medical or other benefits. Sorry, just my $.02.
2008 Ford Taurus SEL

Meg's Dad

Post by Meg's Dad » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:57 am

Oh, I was working as many hours as he was except I was salaried.
2008 Ford Taurus SEL