If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

Recall 05S37 - Fuel Tank Strap Replacement

Grey

Post by Grey » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:49 pm

An appointment for a vehicle is for the time that the service advisor can speak with you about your concerns and maintenance needs. Then they schedule your vehicle into the shop, based on the availability of a technician in that particular skill, expertise and certification group.

The fuel strap replacement should take 30 to 40 minutes, but it might be several hours before a technician can begin work on your vehicle. If you are calling for an apointment, ask your service advisor if the replacement can be done as a waiter (within 2 hours or so), or if you will need to leave it for a longer period of time so that they can schedule the work in the shop.

Sometimes the service advisors arrange for the technicians to do the work and in which order. Other shops have a dispatcher that assigns jobs to the technicians. Generally they know if the shop is covered up with work, whether they can postpone certain jobs and get your vehicle in quickly, or if you might need to leave the vehicle all day or even overnight to get it to a technician.

If you want the work done while you wait, call and find out the best time to bring it in as a "Waiter".

Stoker1

Post by Stoker1 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:13 pm

JW wrote:Got mine too. The wife is freaked over it. :::sigh:::
I remember my '89 Taurus, which is still going strong by the way, had like 4 or 5 recalls, brought it in every time, good as new :wink:

This one looks like a straight up material issue, not a poor-design related recall, so I'll go with the flow on this one.
2005 Five Hundred Limited, Black with pebble leather interior.
Safety package, FWD 6-speed, reverse sensing and power adjustable pedals.

leapfrog

Post by leapfrog » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:01 pm

Got the work done on Thursday. Now I don't have to worry about the car blowing up :D

Had a first ever experience though. It's a long story, but when I leased the car I got a 1/2 price promo special on the 3 year service at "no cost". So every oil change, tire rotation, new wiper blades, new brake pads, etc. (basically everything that isn't under warranty) is covered. I got it because at 1/2 price it worked out to be just about a wash in terms of what I would have expected to pay as I go for those things over my 3 year lease, plus it meant that all I'd ever have to pay for over the 3 year lease term was gas.

Anyway, as my next service was coming up in February, I asked them to take care of it on the same visit They said I'd have to wait 2 months! Have you ever has a car service department tell you they won't do the work? It was a pretty funny momment. Turns out they don't get paid by Ford on the service plan if the interval (miles/months) isn't in line with the plan you buy.
Silver Frost Metallic Ford Five Hundred Limited FWD
w/ Black Leather and all the Options

Proud Owner of the Very First C.O.T.M. (March 2005)

Victoria, BC

JSchmidt

Post by JSchmidt » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:49 pm

My Ford Five Hundred has a build date of June 24, 2005, just 3 days after the end of the recall period for the gas tank straps. I inspected the straps under my car and they have a stamped engineering number on them ---5GU19055AC. I want to be sure that this is different than the engineering number of the recalled strap.

Can anybody who is having the recall done request a look at the straps removed from the car and tell me what the stamped engineering number on them is. If it's different than what I saw under my car, then I can be sure that my straps are of the new type.

The dealer is supposed to be checking on this, but no info from him yet. I think one of you guys would be a quicker and more reliable source of info.
Ford 500 SEL, AWD, Pueblo Gold, Pebble Leather, CDX6
Safety Package, Reverse Sensing
Build date 6/24/05

Grey

Post by Grey » Sun Dec 18, 2005 2:25 pm

I believe the straps for a FWD are different than AWD and he needs the stamping number from an AWD vehicle that is involved in the Field Service Action.