If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

2015 - what tires recommended for a 2006 Five Hundred?

Dave C

2015 - what tires recommended for a 2006 Five Hundred?

Post by Dave C » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:04 pm

I did a search of the forums and most of the tire posts are at least a few years old. I've been having a slew of issues lately including replacing both control arms, rear bearings, brakes, etc....

So, it seems my latest problem is front end alignment. It's already destroyed one front tire and the other one isn't happy, either. I don't know who to blame for this. Maybe the guy who replaced the control arms didn't align the front end afterwards. Anyway, back to tires. I need two front tires (I'd like to do all four, but I'm not sure I can for out that much money this time around). My last purchase of four tires were Michelin Hydroedge. I liked them. Would have preferred a little quieter, but still nice. They don't make those anymore. Sears said now they have the Defender. I read a bunch of reviews on those and it's a mix of love and hate. Many say they aren't getting anywhere near 90K miles out of them. Some think they're great. I'd like some recommendations. I'd like super quiet tires that last. I live in Maine, so all weather performance would be nice, too.

I've also been having problems with the wheels leaking (not the valve stem). I'm having a guy http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/southernme/contact.php fix the wheels for me tomorrow. Then going for new tires and alignment.

And what about rotation. How best to rotate tires of different make?

I'll shut up, now.
Sincerely,

Dave
in Maine

Domain

Re: 2015 - what tires recommended for a 2006 Five Hundred?

Post by Domain » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:22 pm

See if you can get some General AltiMax RT43s. They are a great all around tire, relatively affordable as well. They're going on my own vehicle eventually.
Current: 2017 Ford Explorer -- Limited AWD 2.3L
Past: 2014 Ford Taurus - SEL AWD

warment

Post by warment » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:21 am

I would highly recommend Michelin Defender tires. I have them on my 2005 FWD Five Hundred. Much better than the HydroEdge (I had those before on my car when that was the only type that Michelin offered). The stock tires (Continental brand) lasted a long time for me, but because very noisy near the end of their life; also, one of the Contis developed a sidewall bulge (never saw that before)...not good.
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:10 pm

I'm at Sears and the Defenders are $167 each and the Roadhandlers are $160 each. The Roadhandlers are buy 3/get 4th. The Defenders came out to $900+ and the Riadhandlers were $700+. Salesman said not a whole lot of difference between the two. Guess we'll find out. I'm going with the Roadhandlers. He said I have 30 days to switch them if I don't like them.
Sincerely,

Dave
in Maine

warment

Post by warment » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:18 pm

I am sure you will be fine with either. I have just had really good luck with Michelins over the years, so I usually try to buy them.
2005 Ford Five Hundred SE
6-spd auto

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:32 pm

There's too many options and too hard to fish through it all. Many of the reviews for the Defenders weren't good and many were. Even for the same type of car, there's differing opinions. And now I'll be broke till the next thing. Now I have to re-register it and disable the airbag light to get it inspected. I should just get a horse. Grass is cheap.
Sincerely,

Dave
in Maine