If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support FordTaurus.net!

What I learned about changing fuel filter

kukaepe

What I learned about changing fuel filter

Post by kukaepe » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:38 pm

What I am going to share may be obvious to most of you but it wasn't to me so thought I might save a fellow forum reader some time. I have worked on cars for some time and changed a few fuel filters in my day and several on Ford products. I am familiar with the plastic clips used to secure fuel filters on many earlier Ford products and I recall them as needing to be pried out of the connector at the filter line to change the filter. Well if you pry on the clip on the Five Hundred it will break and mine did! The clips are a different shape and not interchangeable with the older style Ford units. What I learned is that to remove the filter from the line all you need to do is to press in on the clip towards the center of the line and it will release the filter from the fitting. I also learned it might help to relieve the fuel pressure prior to starting the project. This is easily accomplished by removing the fuel pump relay from the relay box in the engine compartment. The relay is identified in the owner's manual and simply lifts out of the relay panel. Start the engine and the fuel will be consumed and once the engine stops running you have relieved the pressure. Reinstall the relay but don't restart the car until the fuel filter replacement is complete. I tried to get replacement clips from the Ford dealer and was told they only come with the fuel line assembly and that was an expensive part. I found a fuel filter at O'Reiley's (MicroGard I think) that included replacement clips (Autozone and PepBoys filters did not include clips and they only had the early model clips separately that won't fit). I used the clips from the MicroGard filter and all was OK. I'll save the filter for the next change. So bottom line is...relieve the fuel pressure first and then press on the clip to release the fitting from the filter. I hope this saves some one on the forum from running to several parts stores and/or the dealer because they broke the clips as I did....

ttw

Re: What I learned about changing fuel filter

Post by ttw » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:15 pm

This is the reason i love this forum... Thanks for the info as i did not know that and for sure would of broke mine too when im ready to change filter...
2006 five hundred se (wifes car)
2002 f150 supercrew lariat (daily driver)
1986 mustang gt convertible (just for fun)

Edsel II

Post by Edsel II » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 pm

How's this for redneck repairs - I recently did my 60k service in the garage. After I changed the oil, and got a few drips on the garage floor, I rolled the car forward and positioned the gas filter over the drips. I let the gas that spilled out of the old filter clean the floor, wiped it up, and all was good!

I've got a cheapy set of fuel line release tools from Harbor Freight. They're handy for releasing the spring clips on the fuel line without breaking the tabs on the 500 and my other cars.

ctrlraven

Post by ctrlraven » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:41 am

Those little clips are so touchy, I believe Ford uses them on all of their vehicles. I know on my 04 Marauder I thought I was going to break them. lol I ended up breaking one but I was going to a larger filter and getting rid of the clip connections anyways.

When you remove the relay, to help ensure the pressure is relieved crank the car over 3 times for 3-4 seconds each time.

To avoid any check engine lights because of low fuel pressure before you start the car AFTER installing your new fuel filter prime the fuel system. Just turn the key to the ON/RUN position, listen for the fuel pump to kick on and wait a few seconds then turn the key back OFF. I do this 3-5 times to make sure the fuel pressurizes up into the fuel rails and then start the car up and good to go.
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 LX Sport
2004 Mercury Marauder
2006 Ford F-350 Powerstroke 4x4 Amarillo edition
2008 Ford Taurus Limited AWD
2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD

pioneerscot

Post by pioneerscot » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Changed mine today, got the new clips through O'reilly. Removed the fuel relay let car run outta gas, pulled filter, it sprayed a quart of fuel out as usual :evil:

Kodiak

Post by Kodiak » Fri May 04, 2012 12:26 am

I just completed the exceedingly complicated process of replacing the plugs on my five hundred, and I actually really liked these clips. If your careful, they make life easy.
2005 Five Hundred Limited

mach1cj

Post by mach1cj » Sun May 13, 2012 5:42 am

just bought an '07 and would like to change the fuel filter. where is it located? thanks

ddderek

Post by ddderek » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:47 am

I just changed the fuel filter on my 2005 Five Hundred for the first time since I have owned it...

First, the clips, as one poster stated, push the clip towards the filter then push down on the flat side of it and then pull back and they come right off... They push right back onto the new filter and click when passing the hump on the filter stem.

Secondly, I tried to follow the advice of running the car out of gas before changing. So I first removed the fuel pump relay, well it ran for a long time, so I was reving it etc. and it never did die, I ended up shutting it off. Well when it was running out of gas or in the process, the low/no flow was causing missing and rough running. Then when I replaced the filter, primed with the key several times as suggested, and then turned back on... I got a check engine light! Well I had to take it to Autozone where it had NUMEROUS codes that they flipped out over... I assured them it was probably because of what I just did changing the fuel filter and they did not want to reset the check engine light for me, I ended up having to disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the codes. This was a pain, I'd have rather caught the spilling gas than go through this process again!

Power Steering Fluid and Trans Fluid next!
Last edited by ddderek on Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of:
2005 Ford 500 SEL (totaled at 98k) :(
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2008 Taurus Limited
2009 Taurus SEL (daughter bought and moved to California)

ddderek

Post by ddderek » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:49 am

mach1cj wrote:just bought an '07 and would like to change the fuel filter. where is it located? thanks
On the '05 it is just in front of the gas tank whcih you can get to best just in front of the rear passenger side tire.
Owner of:
2005 Ford 500 SEL (totaled at 98k) :(
2008 Mercury Sable Premier
2008 Taurus Limited
2009 Taurus SEL (daughter bought and moved to California)

leoleo

Post by leoleo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:45 am

to all of you who know about 2008 Taurus do it yourself. i tip my hat to all. i know Little about cars love reading your comments

dwcopple

Post by dwcopple » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:11 pm

I just did mine in the cold of the driveway. Pulled the fuse and let it die. Went in and ate lunch. Went outside armed with a set of round tip needle nose pliers and a flathead screwdriver. Clips popped up easily with a slight push on the exposed ends with the needle nose tips. Unscrewed the clamp and had to yank the everloving snot out of the old filter to get it out of the bracket. New filter (Motorcraft) went in no problem and the clips snapped back down tight. Since I fully undid the clamp, it was a bit of a bear trying to get it to clasp into itself again but I managed to get it after I switched to a nutdriver instead of the flathead. FYI the car has a couple miles short of 120K on it and the old filter may have been the original.

sleeperph

Post by sleeperph » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:56 am

I agree with everything Kukaepe said. I have a 2004 Taurus SES, previously I had a 1992 Taurus. The old clips fit the 1992 but not the 2004. I have changed the fuel filter 3 times on the 2004. This last time I went back to Pep Boys and the parts dept person went through a bunch of filter boxes until he found one that had both types of clips and he gave me the correct ones. Now I have another issue, the filter will not pull out of the line on the fuel tank end. It appears to be hung up on the lip of the filter. I can spin the filter in the line but it wont come out. Any tricks to get it out without dropping the fuel tank?

Thank you.

EmmaJean500

Post by EmmaJean500 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:42 pm

I did mine in my driveway this afternoon. I made a mountain out of a molehill. What was intriguing was my O/Manual read it used the FG1060. When I went to eBay it was incompatible with my 500. Then I went to fordparts.com, put in my VIN, and learned it used the FG986B filter. Went to an auto parts store and purchased that thingy that has 5/16 on one end, and 3/8 on the other. Did what I needed to do to relieve the pressure, but still manged to get "baptised" with a cup of gas! Got 'er one! There has been a couple of members on this forum that gave some great advice! I figured I saved myself about $70. Thanks, all!
2005 Five Hundred SE (w/CVT; no AWD) 2012 Escape XLT

sleeperph

Post by sleeperph » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:25 pm

Just an update from last September. I was never able to replace the fuel filter. I eventually took it to a mechanic. He found that the fuel line running from the tank had swollen and the filter would not come off. He ended up dropping the fuel tank and replacing that fuel line. He then replaced the fuel filter. So it ended up costing $$$ but it got done.

EmmaJean500

Post by EmmaJean500 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:16 pm

I went to auto parts store. For about $9 I bought a tool made by OEM that took care of 5/16" and 3/8" fuel lines. I used the smaller end. It worked great! I did not break either clip. I didn't realise that the fuel filter needed to be changed every 30K miles.
2005 Five Hundred SE (w/CVT; no AWD) 2012 Escape XLT