It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to help support FordTaurus.net!

Post subject: Re: 8" Subs in Rear Deck
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:52 am 

My Photos
ttw wrote:
well i just got finished installing the tens in rear deck. (pics to come soon) I used 3/4 MDF underneath deck. they are kicker comps powered by a INSIGNIA 2-channel 1000 watts class D bridgeable amp. The cover is vibrating bad!!! from the 3rd brake light hitting the window to the whole cover hitting the rear deck. If you fiqur out how to solve it PLEASE let me know.. Ill see what i can do with it this weekend.

It wasn't that difficult was it? I was nicely surprsied at how easy it really was to put some good subs in that deck. My only problem now is sturdying up that thin metal with the MDF. Can't wait to see the pictures. I'm curious how you went about measuring and installing the MDF.

About the vibrating, you are running way more power to your subs than I am so I can only imagine how badly yours is vibrating. I had some small foam pieces in the garage out of a box of something that I purchased so I cut them into small pieces (enough for three) and put them underneath the rear deck cover toward the outside of the car on each side and one in the middle back toward the 3rd brake light. My thought was to raise the cover to allow for more room for woofer excursion but after testing that I found that it isn't really the excursion that is the problem but air displacement. The cover was raised at least an inch with the foam pieces so the woofers should not be hitting the cover any longer but the air displacement is causing the back edges of the cover to still rattle/vibrate against the back window. I think I'll look for some more foam to put back there to see if that will sure it up any.

KJM01 wrote:
You can always bolt in a 1/2'' mdf panel under the sheetmetal and bolt the subs to the mdf, just cut a hole large enough for the subs to fit in.And you will need alot of sound deadening for that. Use the Nyloc nuts so they dont come loose!

Thanks for the recommendation. ttw did 3/4 inch but I'm thinking 1/2 inch should be fine too. He's got more weight with his 10s than I do so I should be fine with the 1/2 inch. I've never heard of Nyloc so I'll have to look that up. A new tool in the arsenal is always welcome. Thanks!

I'm about to create a new thread about thoughts on doing a custom install of a new head unit/processor I've ordered. Would love yall's opinions.

PostPosted: Today 

Register now to remove this ad

Profile Send private message E-mail  
Edit post Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:53 pm 

My Photos
jsampsell wrote:
ttw wrote:
well i just got finished installing the tens in rear deck. (pics to come soon) I used 3/4 MDF underneath deck. they are kicker comps powered by a INSIGNIA 2-channel 1000 watts class D bridgeable amp. The cover is vibrating bad!!! from the 3rd brake light hitting the window to the whole cover hitting the rear deck. If you fiqur out how to solve it PLEASE let me know.. Ill see what i can do with it this weekend.

It wasn't that difficult was it? I was nicely surprsied at how easy it really was to put some good subs in that deck. My only problem now is sturdying up that thin metal with the MDF. Can't wait to see the pictures. I'm curious how you went about measuring and installing the MDF.

About the vibrating, you are running way more power to your subs than I am so I can only imagine how badly yours is vibrating. I had some small foam pieces in the garage out of a box of something that I purchased so I cut them into small pieces (enough for three) and put them underneath the rear deck cover toward the outside of the car on each side and one in the middle back toward the 3rd brake light. My thought was to raise the cover to allow for more room for woofer excursion but after testing that I found that it isn't really the excursion that is the problem but air displacement. The cover was raised at least an inch with the foam pieces so the woofers should not be hitting the cover any longer but the air displacement is causing the back edges of the cover to still rattle/vibrate against the back window. I think I'll look for some more foam to put back there to see if that will sure it up any.

KJM01 wrote:
You can always bolt in a 1/2'' mdf panel under the sheetmetal and bolt the subs to the mdf, just cut a hole large enough for the subs to fit in.And you will need alot of sound deadening for that. Use the Nyloc nuts so they dont come loose!

Thanks for the recommendation. ttw did 3/4 inch but I'm thinking 1/2 inch should be fine too. He's got more weight with his 10s than I do so I should be fine with the 1/2 inch. I've never heard of Nyloc so I'll have to look that up. A new tool in the arsenal is always welcome. Thanks!

I'm about to create a new thread about thoughts on doing a custom install of a new head unit/processor I've ordered. Would love yall's opinions.

It was pretty easy just took me a week of working on it 2-3 hrs after work till dark, and having to wait till next day to get what i needed. I used the 3/4 mdf because that was what kicker recommended. After all the work though i had to take them back down and put them back in the box.. there was just no way around it except for cutting the carpet and mounting them on top. Im looking for a carpet peice at junkyards to cut up to see if that helps without cutting the one in there now.
As far as mounting mdf i made and used a cardboard cut out. with alot of climbing in and out of trunk. i also mounted the subs directly to the mdf and then bolted the mdf to rear deck with wifes (help) if you want to call it that... With the subs so close to window i that that was best option to get them screwed down in the back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:24 pm 

My Photos
ttw wrote:
It was pretty easy just took me a week of working on it 2-3 hrs after work till dark, and having to wait till next day to get what i needed. I used the 3/4 mdf because that was what kicker recommended. After all the work though i had to take them back down and put them back in the box.. there was just no way around it except for cutting the carpet and mounting them on top. Im looking for a carpet peice at junkyards to cut up to see if that helps without cutting the one in there now.
As far as mounting mdf i made and used a cardboard cut out. with alot of climbing in and out of trunk. i also mounted the subs directly to the mdf and then bolted the mdf to rear deck with wifes (help) if you want to call it that... With the subs so close to window i that that was best option to get them screwed down in the back.

I figured cardboard was going to be the best way to do it but I thought I'd ask. Sometimes other people think of things I'd never think of myself.

I'm curious, though, what was the problem with the carpet on top exactly? Why would you need to cut the carpet up? I mounted mine from the top. I angled them in from the bottom to get them in but they are mounted from the top. I did have to cut away some of the foam stuff that is on the bottom of the tray but that was easy. I just am curious as to why you'd need to cut the whole tray up though.

You are right about them being close to the back glass. I was a little nervous working that close to the glass but everything came out fine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:51 pm 

My Photos
jsampsell wrote:
ttw wrote:

I figured cardboard was going to be the best way to do it but I thought I'd ask. Sometimes other people think of things I'd never think of myself.

I'm curious, though, what was the problem with the carpet on top exactly? Why would you need to cut the carpet up? I mounted mine from the top. I angled them in from the bottom to get them in but they are mounted from the top. I did have to cut away some of the foam stuff that is on the bottom of the tray but that was easy. I just am curious as to why you'd need to cut the whole tray up though.

You are right about them being close to the back glass. I was a little nervous working that close to the glass but everything came out fine.

No matter what i tried the carpet just rattled unless i was back there holding it down, it was unlistenable. Thats why i wanted to experiment with another peice to see if that was the problem. I cut the holes in the rear deck bigger and mounted subs to the mdf, mainly cus the metal was not flat all the way around where sub was to be mounted. I did remove the insulation from the carpet, where the holes are but i suppose there is just too much air deplacement from the subs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:15 pm 

My Photos
ttw wrote:
No matter what i tried the carpet just rattled unless i was back there holding it down, it was unlistenable. Thats why i wanted to experiment with another peice to see if that was the problem. I cut the holes in the rear deck bigger and mounted subs to the mdf, mainly cus the metal was not flat all the way around where sub was to be mounted. I did remove the insulation from the carpet, where the holes are but i suppose there is just too much air deplacement from the subs.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I definitely think it's the displacement. That's got me thinking that maybe making some trim rings to kind of port the sound up instead of throughout the underside of the tray might do the trick. The only thing then is how do you address the carpet in the tray that is perforated where the stock speakers were. I'm going to look into some speaker grilles and see if I can paint them to closely match the color of the carpet and pressure set them into the tray over where those trim rings would go. What do you think about something like that? Not necessarily whether you'd do it for your car or not but whether it would actually work. I'll have to run this idea by a few guys that I know do car audio installation for a living.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:31 pm 

My Photos
Ok, so I found these grilles for cheap and thought I'd share them here. They have an 8" version but I thought that fabricating just the grille portion out of these 10" versions would allow for plenty of room for the trim ring underneath. I've got a few additional ideas as well.

Anyhow, here's the link: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?PartNumber=260-426

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 pm 

My Photos
jsampsell wrote:
ttw wrote:

Ah, I see. That makes sense. I definitely think it's the displacement. That's got me thinking that maybe making some trim rings to kind of port the sound up instead of throughout the underside of the tray might do the trick. The only thing then is how do you address the carpet in the tray that is perforated where the stock speakers were. I'm going to look into some speaker grilles and see if I can paint them to closely match the color of the carpet and pressure set them into the tray over where those trim rings would go. What do you think about something like that? Not necessarily whether you'd do it for your car or not but whether it would actually work. I'll have to run this idea by a few guys that I know do car audio installation for a living.

Im definitely not a pro.. sounds good in theory but not sure it would make a difference.. Asking the pros would difinitely be the place to start. Let me know what you find out because i would like to get my trunk space back. Still looking for a peice to cut up, to experiment with....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:37 pm 

My Photos
System update:

Just thought I'd add some info about what upgrades I've done over the past few months to this thread so that it's all in the same place.

I first started with upgrading my door speakers. I had JL Audio TR570-CXi in all four dours. I upgraded the front speakers to Hybrid Audio Technologies Clarus C61-2 components and put the tweeters in the A-pillar trim panels.

Product pic from Hybrid Audio Technologies' website:

In the car:

If you've never heard of Hybrid Audio Technologies speakers then you definitely should look them up.

After that, I found an incredible deal on a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT but after doing some research I decided to sell that and get a Pioneer DEX-P99RS since I was more interested in the sound quality versus the A/V and navigation capabilities of the Z130.

The P99RS is absolutely incredible. Just read up about it and you'll know why I love it so much. I won't go into detail here but it's worth every penny if you spend a lot of time in your car listening to high resolution audio files. I'm not sure it would be worth it for just an average MP3 collection that was ripped mostly at 128kpbs but it will definitely sound better than any other unit playing those same files. The unit shines with CD quality (or better) audio files. Just incredible.

The only thing I don't like right now about the install of the P99RS is the install kit. When I have some time I will attempt to create a solid face made out of thin plexiglass with a black background so that it matches (as closely as possible) the faceplate of the P99RS.

Finally, just recently I was hooked up with a deal I couldn't pass up on two new amps to replace my Infinity Reference 5350a. The Infinity is a 5-channel amp that puts out 50 watts on 4 channels and 300 watts on one channel. It worked well for my first setup and worked well for the new components but these new amps double the wattage in all areas.

The new amps are Alpine PDX-F4 and Alpine PDX-M6. The F4 is a 4-channel amp and the M6 is a mono amp. I got them installed this weekend and am enjoying the cleaner extra wattage. It'll take some tinkering with to get the gains just right for the mix that I prefer but that's just part of the fun.

Before:

After:

In order to install the two amps I had to use two Rockford Fosgate RFD4 4 AWG distiribution blocks. I had a 4 AWG amp install kit already so adding the two distro blocks with 8 AWG out to both amps was very easy. I thought about continuing the 4 AWG to the amps but I didn't have any extra 4 AWG wire and 8 AWG works just fine.

Anyhow, that's it so far. Feedback and questions are welcomed. I'm not a "show off" person. I just enjoy this stuff a lot and enjoy sharing it with other people that enjoy it too. And it's a nice reference for the different phases of the overall project. Which, is usually never really done so I'll probably keep coming back and posting more as it happens. I really don't see much happening from here in this car but you never know. This hobby is usually an itch that never really goes away no matter how much you scratch it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:58 am 

My Photos
Hello, my name is Joe and I'm from Olympia Washington. I have a 97 ford taurus sho. I put two 10" rockford fosgate dvc's in the trunk and two 5x8's in the back window speakers that are top of the line focals running with the other six focal series speakers in the vehicle being pushed by a 500 watt jl audio amp. This thing pounds. I just thought I'd add that to this forum. Thanks for hearing what I have in my vehicle.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:07 pm 

My Photos
Well, time for another update. I still have the 8's in the rear deck, in the same sub box that I posted about a little while ago. But I've upgraded my head unit, processor, amps and door speakers.

Here's what I'm running now:

Trunk equipment:

Covered up:

Driver's side sail and A-pillar:

Passenger's side sail and A-pillar:

The equipment you see is:

Amps
Arc Audio SE2075 - Tweeters
Arc Audio SE 4200 - Midrange and Midbasss
Arc Audio SE2300 - Subs

Processor
Arc Audio PS8

Speakers
Tweeters: From my old Hybrid Audio Technologies Clarus C61-2 set
Midrange: Hybrid Audio Technologies L3SE
Midbass: Hybrid Audio Technologies L6SE
Subs: Eclipse 86080.4

Once I decided to go to the level you see here, I knew I was a little out of my league so I had some incredible guys at American Radio in C*umming, GA do the install and tuning for me (yes, the name of the city gets flagged by the dirty words list on this site so I added an asterisk). If you are in the Atlanta area and need a good shop to go to for this kind of stuff, you won't regret going to American Radio. Scott and Mark are seasoned veterans at this stuff.

I just had the SE2075 and PS8 put in this past Monday and they weren't able to do a full tune by the end of the day so I'll be taking it back for that as soon as I can. Even with a flat EQ and adding some quick time alignment measurements into the PS8, I am truly impressed. The detail I get out of the system is amazing!

Anyhow, let me know if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer them. Just know that I may not know some answers until I ask Scott or Mark since they did the install.